Clear all

Can't hear second track

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Terence
Topic starter

Hello,

I followed all the instructions I can find, and so far I am only able to hear one track recorded from my Motif into Cubase 8.0.35

I am using the Yamaha Motif FW interface. I get one track recorded just fine. Switch to second track, I can see the recorded data, but it will not play back. I'm sure I'm missing something simple, but I am growing more frustrated by the hour. Any help would be appreciated.

Posted : 20/04/2016 6:56 am
Bad Mister

When you "can't hear" something the way to begin troubleshooting is to follow the signal flow. Unfortunately, you are probably using a Template that you don't quite understand and have opted in on whatever the template is designed to do.

First look to see where the PART is set for OUTPUT SELECT
Press [MIXING]
Press [EDIT]
Select the Part you can't hear
Press [F1] VOICE
Press [SF2] OUTPUT
If you are setup to route this to anyplace but the "Main L&R" then you have opted to use an assignable output, FW1-FW14
In order to monitor (hear) the items routed to an assignable output you must select the appropriate FW Monitor option.

Let us know.

Posted : 20/04/2016 11:30 am
Terence
Topic starter

Thank you. I was using one of the presets in Cubase. I'll have to follow the signal flow and find the problem. My hope was I could set my motif to a voice(in voice mode), record that voice on track 1, set it to another voice, and record that voice on track 2, etc. and build a project in my DAW that way. I had a couple strokes and can't use my left hand very well, so it's difficult for me to build tracks with only one hand, and that's the method I've been using pre-Motif (using a midi keyboard and instruments from Kontakt VST.)

I probably should break down and get your DVD, and learn how to do it right 😉 Thanks for answering.

Posted : 21/04/2016 5:59 am
Bad Mister

The templates in Cubase all work for specific scenarios that may or may not work for what anyone is attempting to do . We have an article here on Yamaha Synth that details each of these Templates - honestly they are really just starting points that you should customize for your use. There is no one way to work.

But there are some basic rules. For example, if you are recording MIDI data then in order to record and playback multiple musical parts you will need to be in the SONG or the PATTERN mode because these are the modes in which the XF is able to receive on multiple MIDI channels simultaneously.

If you want to record from VOICE mode you must record each Voice as AUDIO, using your DAW (Cubase) like you would an old style tape recorder.

We have several guides here in Yamaha Synth for working with recording by FireWire. And you can always reach out to Yamaha Customer Support for help on the phone.

Motif XF Setup Templates for Cubase

Posted : 21/04/2016 1:03 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us