FireWire and Non-cubase DAW

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Rich
 Rich
Eminent Member
Topic starter

This question is for everyone, including Phil. Wondering if any XF owners with the FW expansion card successfully use it with other DAWS? Mum referring specifically to the 16 channel audio recording capabilities.

I recently got a new PC with FW and am considering the expansion card. I am not a Cubase user however. I did reinstall recently but after using a DAW with an entirely different flow, I struggle with its use. I couldn't find info whether the FireWire expansion capabilities of the Motif were solely for Cubase or if it can work with other DAWS

If so, I'm buying one.

Posted : 10/06/2016 11:58 pm
Bad Mister

The FW interface can be used with any DAW capable of using an ASIO Driver; The Yamaha Steinberg FW driver is an ASIO driver and can run in any of the major DAWs. It handles both MIDI and Audio communication, and is able, via remote templates, to allow the XF to act as control surface for Cubase, Logic Pro, Sonar, Digital Performer and Pro Tools.

There is really no actual advantage to using Cubase over any other DAW when it comes to being able to use the FW. The advantage that Cubase offers has to do with file management due to its VST3 compatibility, and port naming because Yamaha wrote an extension to auto name the ports.

If you are using a DAW that is not capable of running VST3 plugins, then you will need to run the Editor as a Standalone application (means you will keep your XF files separately) and you will need to manually name the ports. Other than that any DAW capable of selecting an ASIO driver will work with the FW16E, period.

Posted : 11/06/2016 11:13 am
Rich
 Rich
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thank you Phil. Appears it will likely work with my setup.

As always, your expertise appreciated.

Posted : 11/06/2016 2:09 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us