Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Help with Motif XF 8 LAN/Firewire Setup

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I have had a Motif XF 8 with firewire for a long, long time. I bought a new laptop. But now I realize It has no firewiree or LAN connection, Just a Thunderboldt 4 USB C Port. Are there any old school Motif XF 8 folks left here that might be able to help, me figure out how to get firewire to work through thunderboldt 4? or maybe suggest a better/different forum I should be asking on?

Posted : 02/09/2023 3:06 am
Prominent Member

All I can suggest is that if you search the internet for 'using firewire with thunderbolt' you will find plenty of videos that may give you the info you need.

You didnt' say what kind of laptop of OS you have so I can't say if the adapters will work for you or not.

Posted : 02/09/2023 3:33 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

I think the wall you're going to hit, most likely, is the "age" of your computer's operating system. The drivers that I believe are a necessity are only compatible with 32-bit operating systems. Pick your poison (Apple OS or Microsoft OS). All modern operating systems are 64-bit now. If you have an old 32-bit version of windows (or OSX) then you should be able to clear this problem and install the drivers.

Running an older OS in a VM won't work either since I'm not aware of any hypervisor (VM software) that will pass the guest OS (i.e. older OS) the firewire port. USB is supported as passthrough but not firewire.

Posted : 02/09/2023 5:13 am
 Kiri

This is very interesting, and you're a very good writer. I've subscribed to your feed and look forward to reading more of your great posts age of war game

Posted : 04/10/2023 3:04 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us