Notifications
Clear all

I want MIDI data (from DAW) to trigger the XF

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi!

How can I get my XF triggered by MIDI data from my DAW? Here’s the thing, on my XF I play a key which are being sent by USB to my DAW, this triggers my chord VST, I then want to return the MIDI data generated by my chord VST back to the XF.

I managed to do this once but really can’t figure out how I did it. Any ideas?

In the MOTIF XF Reference Manual at page 38 it explain how to do it in MIDI. What about USB?

Posted : 16/09/2014 8:13 pm
Bad Mister

Welcome to Yamaha Synth!

MIDI is MIDI whether it is going through a pair of 5-pin cables (IN/OUT), or bi-directionally through FW or a USB cable. What you want to setup is a method where you're sending the coded MIDI messages to your DAW (without triggering the XF internal engine)... This way you can determine the routing of the signal post it traversing your plug-in.

You will work with LOCAL CONTROL = OFF
You will be working with MIDI IN/OUT = USB

[UTILITY]
[F5] CONTROL
[SF2] MIDI
Set Local Control = OFF
Set MIDI IN/OUT = USB

This sends your key presses to your DAW initially, without triggering any tone engine. You can then route the MIDI Out of your VST to the Motif XF's USB-MIDI In Port 1... selecting whichever MIDI channel you desire.

MIDI data arriving via the USB port of the XF will now trigger the XF tone engine.

In most DAWs the current (active) Track is responsible for determining the OUT destination of the incoming data. So the MIDI IN would arrive from the XF keybed, the Track would be set to trigger the VST plugin and the MIDI OUT of that track goes finally to the XF.

By setting the XF's "Local Control" connection Off, you ensure that all incoming commands for the XF tone engine (note-on events, etc.) will arrive via the USB-MIDI In. Make sense?

If you need more specifics, please provide a few more details.

Posted : 16/09/2014 8:35 pm
Topic starter

Thanks for your reply!

You can then route the MIDI Out of your VST to the Motif XF's USB-MIDI In Port 1... selecting whichever MIDI channel you desire

Do you have any idea of how this is made in Studio One or Cubase?

Posted : 20/09/2014 6:21 pm
Bad Mister

In most DAWs, including both Studio One and Cubase, the current (active) Track is responsible for determining the OUT destination of the data. So the MIDI IN would arrive from the XF keybed, the Track would be set to trigger the VST plugin and the MIDI OUT of that track goes finally to the XF.

Sorry, we don't know what a "chord VST" is - and you don't give any clues... Does it come with any documentation on how to use it?

Posted : 20/09/2014 8:43 pm
Topic starter

Thank you! I managed to get it working!

Posted : 22/09/2014 5:40 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us