Notifications
Clear all

MIDI / FL STUDIO via USB

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Jemone
Topic starter

Ok, I have the motif ES8, and I prefer to use FL Studio because it has been my daw of choice for years and I know my way around it pretty well. My problem is I want to record MIDI DATA using my ES8 voices. I have installed the Yamaha Motif driver onto my system (Window10) and FL Studio does recognize it and the keys do respond with midi now using the USB Cable instead of the midi cable I used to use. Is there a way to use the sounds within my Motif in FL STUDIO? So that I can quantize the midi data, and edit. All that good stuff!? What do i need?? I should mention that my audio interface is a Samson Studio GT4... i bought some years ago. i included a picture of it.. PLEASE HELP!!!

Attached files

Posted : 02/05/2016 5:09 pm
Bad Mister

We moved your post to the Legacy area as the Motif ES as this is more appropriate.

The L/R audio outputs of the Motif ES should be connected to audio interface. If that is inside the Samson Studio GT4, then that is perfect. You will need to setup your DAW (FL Studio) with whatever audio driver is recommended by Samson. There is nothing extraordinary that you need to do with the Motif ES in order to route audio to your DAW.

MIDI communication can be handled by either USB or an external MIDI interface to your computer. If you are seeing MIDI data routed into your DAW, but are not hearing it... that is fairly typical as the problem is NOT the MIDI data. It is your audio routing scheme that has the problem.

Sorry we do not know FL Studio nor do we know the GT4, so you have to check on those yourself.

What you want to ensure is that the Motif ES is set to use MIDI IN/OUT = USB, and that you have the proper driver and version for your computer. You say you have the Motif driver, there is technically speaking no such thing... the name of the driver is the Yamaha USB-MIDI driver V3.1.4 for Windows. If you see MIDI arriving, most likely you have the correct driver and you have it working properly.

The reason you are not hearing sound is a function of the Motif ES responding to returning audio and that audio going to your audio interface. Make sure that you have a MIDI track in your DAW set to "echo back" (some times called "thru") the data back to the Motif ES. And that the Motif ES can play through your speakers when that track is selected.

Posted : 02/05/2016 7:28 pm
Jemone
Topic starter

This is my first time using the site so thanks for moving the post. So are you telling me that it is possible to midi the motif ES8 sounds into my DAW, record and edit them as midi data? I was reading something about a mLAN16 external driver which is expensive. I'm hoping that I dont need that! lol. In my midi window I see the motife ES8 showing up. I see 8 different ones to choose from. I choose one, I change the ports to whatever port number that i decide. I open a new MIDI OUT channel, and i switch it to the port i chose. but when I go to my mixer it doesn't show up! UGH! Do you recommend me using another daw? maybe i can build my music in one, and record the vocals and finals in FL Studio. after the music is finished. I just want to be able to use my keyboard sounds a midi data to edit my mistakes. UGH...

Posted : 03/05/2016 12:52 pm
Jemone
Topic starter

OK, I need help! I absolutely LOVE the voices i get from my motif. My particular DAW of choice is FL STUDIO. I am trying to record midi data using my motif ES 8! I do have it responding. Via USB. I installed the proper drivers and Motif ES8 does show up and respond in my midi settings. The problem is, I am trying to use the sounds in my motif instead of the sounds in my DAW. Not just regular audio, i am very familiar with FL STUDIO. I know my way around very much because ive been using it since my teen years. So recording audio is not a problem. But i want to be able to use midi data from my keyboards so that i can edit, quantize, all that good stuff. IS THIS POSSIBLE!? Without the mLan interface card thing that i was reading about? My interface is the Samson GT4... I dont plug the keyboard into that at all because i dont want the to record the audio through that.. i want to record midi data. so i use the usb into the computer. what am i doing wrong? or is this possible at all with out getting more equipment? should i switch my DAW? If i did, would i need anything other than what i have? I would be willing to get another daw to build my music in, and then record my vocals and finals in FL Studio. PLEASE HELP

Posted : 03/05/2016 1:03 pm
Bad Mister

I see 8 different ones to choose from. I choose one, I change the ports to whatever port number that i decide. I open a new MIDI OUT channel, and i switch it to the port i chose. but when I go to my mixer it doesn't show up! UGH!

Unfortunately, that is not how it works 🙂 YOU don't get to choose which one you want, it is already pre-designated. In this case the internal Motif ES uses PORT 1 for itself. This is the PORT with 16 Channels to and from the Motif ES for music, controllers and tempo...

Port 2 for example, could be designated for any PLG150-series Modular Plugin System boards that you might own.

You should use whatever DAW you are comfortable with. Make sure you select the "Yamaha Motif ES8-1" (port 1) as the MIDI IN and MIDI OUT port for all MIDI tracks that you want to address the internal Motif ES.

Let us know.

Posted : 03/05/2016 7:14 pm
Jemone
Topic starter

OK, Im completely new to this so thanks for your help. Hoping to resolve this soon. I tried what you said, now is there something else i need to do? I selected Yamaha Motif Es-1 I changed the port with in FL Studio to PORT1. for the OUTPUT. I did the same with the INPUT im not sure if im supposed to. But there is a picture I'm including of that. THEN I go to my channels and i create a MIDI-OUT channel which I think is supposed to allow me to play the internal sounds of my Motif.. I set the channels and ports there. to 1. I included the picture of that as well. What am i supposed to do after this? I thought i was supposed to go in the mixer and link that channel a mixer track in order to hear a sound. But i still get nothing. Am i confused about how it works? Then I go to the keyboard, and in order for this to work I should be in the Song Mixer settings right? To view each track, to set each voice, to select the ports and channels? or am I way off? I have included pictures of all of the midi settings that my keyboard is on, and even in song or track mode. I dont know what Im doing but the moment im able to record midi data with my internal motif sounds I will be a happy man!!!!!!!!!! I really hope this is possible. Thanks for all of your help! I really dont know what im doing with this... but I need to learn. Grateful for your help! Please look at my pictures.

Attached files

Posted : 06/05/2016 4:06 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us