Midi Port question.

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Rich
 Rich
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hello again. I'll try not to confuse you with my confusion.

This is more a query about a "why" rather than "how"

I've connected my XF to Laptop via USB and successfully connected to my DAW (FL studio). At first I was able to set up a connection in Song Mode and learned how to sync the two (PC and XF) and both send and receive multiple tracks.

I next went to Voice Mode to try and record midi to DAW from this mode. The DAW showed keyboard input as I pressed up and down octaves, but the only note that would transmit "sound" was C4. I had the Send port on XF set to 1, the Receive port on PC to 1.

So I decided to adjust XF ports amd voila......when Send port was set to ANY port other than #1, it worked fine. So I'm good with this, but it just got me wondering Why? In Sequencer mode I believe I had to have port numbers the same with the XF and Computer.

I'm just wondering why the difference? If there's an answer to this in the Refernce manual I'd be appreciative.

Thank you

Posted : 31/03/2016 2:26 am
Bad Mister

Sorry, we are not familiar with FL Studio, and a good portion of your answer lies there.

We can clear up a couple of things about your Motif XF, that may help.
Don't mix up MIDI (data, no sound) with Audio (sound). They travel two different paths.

In SONG mode, your Motif XF sends on the MIDI Channel of the XF Track that you select. However, with most synthcomputer MIDI setups you turn Local Control on the synth to OFF and allow the DAW to "channelize" the MIDI data. Most DAWs are setup to receive any incoming MIDI Channel and they 'echo' it back on the Midi channel set by the DAW MIDI track.

In Voice mode, the Motif XF transmits on the MIDI Channel as set in Utility mode and as shown on the screen. But again in most situations when you are connected to a computer DAW, you would set Local Control = OFF and let your DAW track determine the MIDI channel.

You make no mention of LOCAL CONTROL being ON or OFF so we cannot really solve your mystery.

Also you mention "Port 1" - Well that is the only Port that the Motif XF transmits Notes, Controllers, and Tempo on so, of course, Port 1.

A Port is the equivalent of a MIDI IN and OUT cable, it is capable of carrying 16 MIDI Channels in each direction.
So only Port 1 delivers your music performing information and only on Port 1 can the DAW trigger the Motif XF.

Port 2 is only for Remote Control
Port 3 is only for an external device connected to the 5-pin MIDI jacks on the back panel
Port 4 is reserved only for the Motif XF VST EDITOR.

Posted : 31/03/2016 11:37 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us