Notifications
Clear all

motif xf ipad voice editor

9 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi!
I’m new here on the forum. I would like to ask for help. There is a xf8 1.50 firmware. (Tenda wifi usb stick) has been working among the ipad wifi connection and motif.
There was an iPad ios upgrade. (9.1) Perhaps since then the relationship is not working. All settings are the same way you should go. I installed it again but it’s not. Interestingly, the Audio Rec Xf application that works over WiFi. The voice editor, perf. Multi applications are not working. Anyone else had this? Can anyone help? Thanks in advance! Best: Szabi

Posted : 12/11/2015 2:35 pm
Bad Mister

From time to time seems MIDI is inconsistent on the iPad, and on iOS devices, in general - meaning I've noticed some updates seem to temporarily 'break' things. Thanks for the info, I'll look into it and see what I can find out. The Wireless Audio Record seems never to be affected by the numerous iOS updates, but from time to time I have noticed MIDI over WiFi gets if-y (finicky is probably a better word, meaning you can get it to work sometimes). Wired connections seem unaffected.

Posted : 13/11/2015 11:52 am
Topic starter

Hi!
thank you the answer! There is a chance that Yamaha will update the performance of the voice and the editor? It would be nice if it would work! Thanks!

Posted : 19/11/2015 10:45 pm
Bad Mister

The Editor continues to work fine (as witnessed when you connect via a cable)... The issue is with iOS, wifi and MIDI. We will continue to try and help iron out the issue which clearly works with iOS devices through a physical cable... All issues seem to be between iOS and MIDI over Wifi.

The Editor is fairly rock solid when connected, so it is unlikely the implementation of the app itself. But as each iOS version gets a second or third update things seem to be restored (if only briefly). Guess no one wants to think it is an iOS problem.

I promise to find out what I can.

Posted : 20/11/2015 7:13 pm
Topic starter

Thank you again for your help!

Posted : 20/11/2015 9:45 pm
 Doug

Hi, I'm even newer to the forum...and I have a related question: if I get an i-MX1 midi interface to connect to my brand-new iPad Pro with iOS 9.2, do I need anything else? Will it just connect to the standard MIDI ports on my Motif XF7 with firmware version 1.50.4?

From what I've seen while googling and searching here, it sounds like the kind of relatively simple MIDI connection I'm talking about should always work regardless of OS/Firmware versions...if that is true I'll be very happy, I've had a lot of experience with simple MIDI connections, starting way back with an Atari ST and the original DX7...

One last question: I'm assuming the Yamaha apps for the iPad work by transmitting midi sysex calls over the standard midi protocol - can you confirm that, too?

Thanks - sorry if this is all somewhere in a FAQ or I should have posted these questions elsewhere...I'm new here 🙂

Posted : 13/12/2015 7:36 am
Bad Mister

Hi, I'm even newer to the forum...and I have a related question: if I get an i-MX1 midi interface to connect to my brand-new iPad Pro with iOS 9.2, do I need anything else? Will it just connect to the standard MIDI ports on my Motif XF7 with firmware version 1.50.4?

You additionally need an Apple adapter to adapt the 30-pin to Lightning protocol. The i-MX1 is MIDI only, since you don't state what your exact goal is, it is hard to say if this is all you'll need.

From what I've seen while googling and searching here, it sounds like the kind of relatively simple MIDI connection I'm talking about should always work regardless of OS/Firmware versions...if that is true I'll be very happy, I've had a lot of experience with simple MIDI connections, starting way back with an Atari ST and the original DX7...

"should always work" yeah, that's right, but protocols for Apple change often, that is what discussion above was about... Yeah, "in theory" it should always work. Wired connections are much more stable, as the spec for wired MIDI is hard for even the ever changing OS updates to break.

One last question: I'm assuming the Yamaha apps for the iPad work by transmitting midi sysex calls over the standard midi protocol - can you confirm that, too?

It depends on the app. Anyone in particular? If the app is Motif XF specific, yes. If not, then probably not.

Posted : 13/12/2015 1:32 pm
 Doug

Thanks for the quick response.

You additionally need an Apple adapter to adapt the 30-pin to Lightning protocol. The i-MX1 is MIDI only, since you don't state what your exact goal is, it is hard to say if this is all you'll need.

I now do understand that I need the Apple adapter...I didn't realize the connection on the iPad Pro is a Lightning connector...my exact goal is to be able to transmit and receive MIDI messages between my Motif XF and my iPad Pro, including SysEx control messages - just generic MIDI like we did it in the old days with Atari ST+DX Heaven/Dr TDX7 w/Grey Matter board added...

"should always work" yeah, that's right, but protocols for Apple change often, that is what discussion above was about... Yeah, "in theory" it should always work. Wired connections are much more stable, as the spec for wired MIDI is hard for even the ever changing OS updates to break

This is exactly the kind of information I need to fill the gaps in my knowledge...the last part encourages me, I figure the MIDI spec is pretty robust and the spec for the 5-pin DIN connection hasn't changed in a long time.

It depends on the app. Anyone in particular? If the app is Motif XF specific, yes. If not, then probably not.

For now I'm just looking at the Yamaha Essentials family...especially the Voice and Performance Editors. I could really use the Set List Organizer (I play in several different bands and this might be easier than dumping/loading data to/from USB flash drives)...but the listing for the Set List Organizer says it is discontinued...are the basic capabilities of that app now available within a newer app that I could use?

Again, I really appreciate your quick responses, sorry I'm not yet well-acquainted with the world Apple, or with the Motif XF platform. I bought the Motif a little over a year ago (it replaced the EX5 I bought about 20 years ago). Thanks for any additional help you can give me.

Doug McLean

Posted : 14/12/2015 12:37 am
Topic starter

Hello!
It had a second ios upgrade, and still no voice and aa good performace editor. 🙁
Do you know anything about it? Thanks.

Posted : 21/01/2016 3:14 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us