Notifications
Clear all

Motif XF8 WH + FW16E + Cubase AI 7

29 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi~
I'm the very begginer of PC Music with Digital Instuments. I bought the above products late in 2014. But I can't use these creatures because I do not know the way of set-up of them. With IEEE1394 cable, FW16E and PC are connected, Output (L/R) from Motif XF8 are connected to Monitoring Speakers. Of course PC speakers are connected seperately. Please inform me the way of setting. ( I've already installed FW16E & software and of course got registration & activation of Cubase Ai 7 properly ).

Attached files

Posted : 11/02/2015 8:54 am
Bad Mister

You are doing fine thus far. We should tell you the music you hear will come from the Monitor Speakers connected to the Motif XF (the speakers connected to the computer can remain connected, but you will not be using them for music production). The Motif XF will literally, become the audio interface and the MIDI interface for your computer. It will take the place of the device doing this for the computer. This happens when install and SELECT the "Yamaha Steinberg FW ASIO Driver". When it is selected you are putting it in the "driver's seat" (pun intended) - you are putting your Motif XF in charge of directing Midi and audio into and back out of the computer. You select this within the application (Cubase). You have the option of letting the Motif XF act as the global SOUNDCARD for your computer, if you wish, by changing your computer's settings.

Method to Success
Setting up is a matter of going through a checklist, making sure all things are set. What intimidates most people initially is they are so worried about getting set up, they focus on this one configuration task, not realizing that there is more than one configuration they need to learn about. Let's discuss this a bit first.

Think about some of the tasks you will be doing....
You will be recording. At some point, you will be playing back. And at some point you may need to both playback some tracks while recording a new track.

These are the three main things: Record, playback, overdub
Then you'll need to think about recording a MIDI data performance, playing back the MIDI data, overdubbing MIDI data.
You'll need to think about recording Audio tracks, playing back Audio tracks, overdubbing Audio tracks.
And perhaps a few scenarios that combine a bit of both.

Okay, I don't want to overwhelm you, but recording in this system is extremely flexible. Once you understand the size and shape of the mountain you are scaling, it's easier to tackle the task. You can see that what you're initially configuring is just one of several situations you will need to setup. There is an unswerving logic to it all, so understanding a setting is key to mastery. At first, you want to right down each and every step and commit it to memory - some of this is just "common sense", it's almost better to understand WHY you follow something, then committing the steps to memory. (Don't get so close you can't see the big picture). What do you need to do? As you get to recognize these basic routines as what they are, it all becomes as second nature as gathering the ingredients in your kitchen to fix a meal...

Mac or Windows - which Operating System
We need some basic information from you to begin.
You mention you have a PC, but stop short of telling us if it is a Macintosh or a Windows computer, and which operating system it is running. (Very important... Before we can tell you what to do next, we need to start there.

While the operations of Cubase and your Motif XF will be similar on either type of computer, setting up the initial driver, and installing the correct versions of the support software (Motif XF Editor Standalone/VST, the Yamaha Extension for Steinberg, the YC-3B organ, etc) is slightly different for Mac versus Windows. Once you have all the components in place everything is pretty much identical in operation.

Let us know, and we can get you started in the right direction.

Posted : 11/02/2015 11:23 am
Topic starter

Thank you for your sincere response in deed. I have windows PC operated WINDOWS 7 Ultimate 32bit, with 4GB memory, Intel Core i5 CPU.
I've already installed some sort of softwares as follows : Cubase AI 7, FW16E driver ver165, Motif XF extension ver111, Motif XF Editor Standalone VST.
I think these software are quite well installed seperately and furthermore I can draw some notes on the PC Monitor with PC mouse in Cubase but I can not hear any sound from both of PC speakers and monitoring spaeaker connected to output L/R of Motif XF8. Then I come to think about the word " SETTING " among PC - Motif XF8 - FW16E. At this point, I can not go further because I am the very begginer of digital music. I do not know either the flow of DATA and SOUND or the concept on PORTS. Finally, I hope you can show the way I can hear the sound of Cubase from my equipments. Please instruct me to get into invisible SEA of DIGITAL MUSIC. If possible, please show me your captured pictures of setting-up of each section on these equipments. Looking forward to hearing from you in time. ~~

Posted : 16/02/2015 2:16 pm
Bad Mister

Here is a link to the step-by-step setup guide for a Motif XF w/FW and Cubase.

Motif XF FireWire Setup Cubase: Windows

Please understand all sound will come from the Monitor Speakers connected to the Motif XF.
NO SOUND will come from your computer speaker. (This is normal, and is the way you will want to work.) by selecting the Motif XF's driver it will be responsible for all audio and MIDI going to and coming from the computer.

Once you have completed the setup, let us know.
The next step would be creating a New Project and launch the Editor inside of Cubase as a VST. This is covered here:

Motif XF Editor VST

Posted : 16/02/2015 4:46 pm
Topic starter

Thank you for your prompt reply. In these days, I'm having a mid-term holidays from 2/18 to 2/22. After the sweet holidays have gone I will follow your instruction. And then you can be heard about my situation. I hope it will be a good stuff as we do ~~

Posted : 18/02/2015 6:17 am
Topic starter

Hello Again ~~

1. I think I completed my mission properly for [ Motif XF FW Setup Cubase : Windows ] as you instructed me.

2. As for the [ Motif XF Editor VST ], I encountered error screen for "PORTS".

For your reference, I attached hereto some captured pics with ZIP.

Please guide me to setup for next step and let me hearing MOTIF sound from monitoring speakers.

Attached files

MotifXF8-FW-Cubase.zip (1.8 MB) 

Posted : 23/02/2015 2:14 pm
Bad Mister

Sorry, I'm unable to view your pictures just now. But a problem with the Ports is a MIDI issue. Here is a checklist:

Resist the urge to use any of the provided Cubase setup Templates, particularly if you don't know what they do, exactly. I find to many people just rely on them without realizing they are for specific tasks and make assignments you may in fact do not need. Until you know what specific task you are doing, they can only have you inherit settings you don't necessarily need.rather learn to setup things manually. This gives you a better understanding of what each parameter does and what it is for.

In the Motif XF
Press [UTILITY]
Press [F5] CONTROL
Press [SF2] MIDI
Make sure the MIDI IN/OUT = FW

This allows the Motif XF to communicate MIDI bi-directionally with the computer via the FW connection.
Audio is always set to communicate via the FW connection, no setting is necessary, only a working FW connection.

Again, we unfortunately cannot see your pictures, but will assume you have launched the Motif XF VST in Cubase.
Under FILE > SETUP
SETUP Data Port
You need to select FW/1394
The MIDI OUT = Motif XF8 Main
Device No. = 1
The FW DEVICE = Motif XF8

There should be no exclamation points "!" showing. If your device does not appear or an "!" precedes the entry, you have an issue. Let us know.
The "Motif XF8 Main" is the Midi connection that speaks to the internal tone generator of the XF8.

When you go to DEVICES > VST INSTRUMENTS > External > Motif XF VST
You are asked if you want to create a Midi Track to address this plugin - when you do, you will notice that it creates your first Midi Track. In general, you will create a new MIDI Track for each PART you record.
This Midi track will have the MIDI IN = "All Midi Inputs" **
The MDI OUT = "Motif XF VST - Midi In"

** "All MIDI Inputs" is defined by you on the DEVICES > DEVICE SETUP > MIDI > MIDI PORT SETUP screen, where you mark "Motif XF Main" as your "In 'All Midi Inputs'", device.

When you select this track key presses on the Motif XF will travel and arrive at this Midi track and will be "thru'd" to the Motif XF VST editor... You will see the keys that you play animate on the Editor's keyboard.

The Editor is ONLINE (if not, let us know) it will be in 1:1 communication with your instrument.
In the lower left corner of the Editor you will see the "QUICK SETUP" area
One for MIDI and one for Audio (FW) routing.

Choose the MIDI setting appropriate for what you plan to do
Internal - if you only plan on doing Voice Librarian duties (no Midi recording)
REC ON PC - if you plan to record MIDI tracks on your computer this is the obvious choice.
SEQ TO PC - if you plan on transferring Midi data from the XF's sequencer to your DAW (Cubase) this makes all the settings
ARP TO PC - specific use case of recording note oriented Arpeggios to your DAW

Choose the "FW Monitor" situation that best suits what you are doing.
Stand alone - use this when doing Voice Librarian duties (no recording)
With PC - This selection prevents audio from traveling directly to the XFs main Left and Right outputs - instead audio is returned to Cubase first via the active Audio Lane created by the VST INSTRUMENT setup.
PC DRCT - this allows the sound you are playing to go directly to the XFs main Left and Right outputs - and is used when you are assigning the Part you are playing to an assignable output. So you can hear what you are playing direct, yet the path to the computer is active for recording.

With these options you can cover Realtime Record, Overdubbing, and Mixing Down.

Because when recording to the computer (MIDI Quick Setup = Rec on PC) Local Control is OFF, you must ensure that a Cubase Midi Track is "selected" in order to complete the routing circuit. As you select a Midi Track, the corresponding PART in the Editor will be selected and vice versa... Select a PART in the Editor the MIDI track in Cubase will highlight... If you have created one.

In general, you need to create a Midi Track for each Part you intend to record.

Posted : 23/02/2015 7:42 pm
Topic starter

Thank you for your answer. You mentioned you can't see my ZIP attachment. May the ZIP file cause trouble to see the pics ?
Your site does not allow to upload more than one picture then I had to press my pics with ZIP as you may know. In this Zip file, you can find 14 pics including 2 exclamation marks " ! " at [ The FW DEVICE = Motif XF7 ]. It shows me as follows.

If you want me to send the pics originally, I can send you directly. Please let me know the way it could be such as direct mail or another web input page.
Personally I think you'd better see my captured pics as soon as possible. I assume we can go further right after the PORTS are SET-UP.
Please understand my current situation.

Attached files

Posted : 24/02/2015 2:14 pm
Bad Mister

No, I could not open your zip because I'm traveling using a tablet (not a computer)... iPad. I guess Apple feels unzipping is not necessary on a tablet (bummer).
And you should be able to post multiple pictures ... But that's another issue.

Please compare YOUR screenshots with the articles I referenced in my second response "Motif XF FireWire Setup Cubase: Windows"... And the "Motif XF VST Editor". They detail exactly what you should see (except I used an XF7, and yours will read XF8).

Please verify the version of the Motif XF Editor Standalone/VST that you are using... And we need to verify how you are launching it. "Stand alone" means you are running it separate from Cubase, as a separate application. When you want to run it as a VST, you will need to launch it from within Cubase. The options for connecting on the Setup page will appear different in each case.

From this screenshot it appears you are not properly launching the VST Editor... From this one screenshot it seems you have launched the Editor as a Stand Alone application, instead of launching it inside of Cubase. We will repeat how this is done below:

Launch Cubase.
Go to DEVICES > VST INSTRUMENTS > External > Motif XF VST
You are asked if you want to create a Midi Track to address this plugin - when you do, you will notice that it creates your first Midi Track. It also creates a VST INSTRUMENT folder, a Motif XF VST SubFolder that contains an Automation Lane and an Audio Lane for returning audio from your XF8 via FW

In general, you will create a new MIDI Track for each PART you record.
This Midi track will have the MIDI IN = "All Midi Inputs"
The MIDI OUT = "Motif XF VST - Midi In"

Posted : 24/02/2015 3:31 pm
Topic starter

First of all, anyhow I attached pics below.

Attached files

Posted : 27/02/2015 12:48 pm
Topic starter

Attached files

Posted : 27/02/2015 12:51 pm
Topic starter

Attached files

Posted : 27/02/2015 1:33 pm
Topic starter

Attached files

Posted : 27/02/2015 1:33 pm
Topic starter

Attached files

Posted : 27/02/2015 1:34 pm
Topic starter

Attached files

Posted : 27/02/2015 1:34 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us