Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Motif XS: Jamming live using 'patterns' that have different time signatures and tempos -- is it possible?

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Motif XS: Jamming live using 'patterns' that have different time signatures and tempos -- is it possible?

- I want to create two (or more) different 'patterns' (using the term broadly to mean 'song chunks'; this could be sections within patterns or whatever)
- I want each 'pattern' to have a different time signature and tempo
- I want to be able to jam live by stringing these patterns together, with the time signature and tempo being respected
- Ideally, I'd also like to be able to record such a live jam and have it play back the same way later

If it helps, you can imagine that I perform Bohemian Rhapsody live, using some backing tracks that I've created, and I would like to be able to alter the song structure by reordering sections, repeating sections to extend the song if the crowd seems to be loving it, or whatever. A similar idea is illustrated with a Roland sequencer at this link.

So far, I see that I can play live (or record a 'pattern chain') by switching between different sections within a single pattern, and the time signature of each section is respected. However, as I understand it, this doesn't allow for different tempos per section to be used live.

Can what I envisage be done on a Motif XS?

Posted : 28/08/2018 4:01 am
Bad Mister

You can use Pattern Mode to construct your musical Sections, you can assemble them into a Chain, convert the Chain to a Song... build your Tempo Map as a function of the linear Song structure.

Posted : 30/08/2018 1:35 pm
Topic starter

Thanks Bad Mister,

Should I take your answer as a no, then?

That is, there is no way for me to freely reorder sections that need to have different time signatures and tempos in a LIVE situation? A pattern chain or a linear song can be manually engineered that will have the correct time signatures and tempo changes, but just not in real time (in a performance situation).

So, with the example of Bohemian Rhapsody...

I can set up the whole song structure in advance, with time sig changes and tempo changes, and this will play through fine. However, there is no way for me to be flexible and reorder the "song chunks" in a live performance (except in the case of a song that has no tempo changes).

Posted : 31/08/2018 2:06 am
Bad Mister

Sorry, you link does not go to Bohemian Rhapsody nor does it show any thing like what you describe... the Pattern there is all one time Signature ... what was I to take away from that example?

Patterns whether from a Yamaha, a Roland or from Mars, cycle and repeat - let’s use an 8 measure “chunk” as an example - it only has 8 measures, count them 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8... repeat.... say you want it to play four times through and then change tempo on the fifth time through... where do you place that command?

At what measure?

Do you see the conundrum? If you answered measure 33, then you have forgotten that your chunk is only 8 measures... you cannot put a Tempo Change command at measure 33. You must (as even described in the video you referenced) create a linear Track that continues and creates the structure.

What you want can easily be accomplished with Cubase Pro and the Arranger Track which lets you setup “letteredl musical Sections (any Time Signature you want, any tempo you desire) you can Assign quick keys or just click on a Section when you want it to play.you can do this with MIDI data, you can do it with Audio data, you can do it to both MIDI and Audio data.

I’ll try to find a link to a video that illustrates the type of thing you are describing... I’m in an airport so I may not have time to attach it right away (I hear them getting ready to board) or you can simple go to YouTube.com/Cubase and search “Arranger Track”... it will solve your issue!

Hope that helps.

https://youtu.be/VaV8Q2aZXOI

Posted : 31/08/2018 8:29 pm
Topic starter

Thanks Bad Mister,

Appreciate your support effort.

I now understand the Cubase Arranger track as a solution. It would be amazing if the Motif could do something similar with Song regions triggered by buttons...anyway, there is a solution already there if I need it badly enough to use a computer.

To answer your questions:

• The linked video showed a person playing live with patterns that had different tempos, and the tempo of each pattern being respected. That was the point of it. I'm not sure how that particular piece of equipment would react to patterns that had different time signatures being played live. I'm trying to find out separately.
  • As for your question about where to place the command for a tempo change...I am not talking about using the same pattern and then changing its tempo. I am talking about different patterns, each having its own associated tempo. So if i understand you correctly, I think the 'measure 33 problem' does not apply.

Example:

PATTERN 1: 4/4 @ 200bpm
PATTERN 2: 3/4 @ 80bpm
PATTERN 3: 3/8 @ 80bpm

Posted : 02/09/2018 11:25 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us