Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Motif XS Rack Crashing my DAW / Mac Pro via FireWire

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I am using my Motif Rack XS, and it is connected via FireWire with a MAC Pro mid 2012 -12 core-64 ram- 1T solid state drive, OS Sierra.

The set up includes an Integra 7 via USB, both Motif and Integra are running through an aggregated device with Cubase 8.50. The set up was working great for over 2 years, and suddenly the sound from the motif was dropping in pitch as if the digital frequency was changing on its own, CPU started peaking very high, and then Cubase would crash, and eventually the mac would shut down, I replaced the cable, and the same crashes, so I used the Motif via USB, and no problems occurred, all worked perfect.

When I was done with the session using the Motif via USB, I updated all the Software, VST, hard ware drivers, etc.,, I re connected the Motif via FireWire, and the Mac felt sluggish as I was navigating to open Cubase, I opened a project, I set up the Motif VST editor and no crashing or shut downs, played a key, and only played for half a second and no sound after, the problem moved from crashing and shutting down, to system working sluggish, and no audio from the motif.

Has any one had this issue? Tech support just responded to the issue by saying ( Quote ), oh wow, not sure what to tell you.

So any tips on what else to try will help. Thanks in advance.

Posted : 26/10/2018 9:28 am
Bad Mister

Well, the devil is always in the details. If nothing changed over the past two years, I would imagine that it would or should have just continued working. So we are going to discount any claim that nothing has changed... seems that for this to be the fault of the Motif-Rack XS that something involving it has changed.

Who’s Tech Support did you call... Yamaha? Steinberg? Roland? Apple? All four?

Since the CPU is spiking, I suggest trying an Aggregate Device that features just the minimum number of inputs to see if there is a change in the CPU challenge... in other words, rather than setting up the Motif-Rack XS as having 16 buses, just create 2 for stereo, same for the other synth... this, just to see if supporting that many buses is causing your CPU strain.

If using the Yamaha Motif-Rack XS VST, it should only use CPU muscle when actually processing signal. Can you provide any more details on the Rack XS Setup? I know nothing about the Integra capabilities
What device is acting as your primary audio interface (which one feeds the Monitor Speakers)?
Try using just the Rack XS alone, via FW (by USB, as you know you took away the audio challenge... Rack XS is midi only via USB).

Let us know.

Posted : 26/10/2018 12:15 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us