Motif XS8 + Cubase 7: re-assign xs8 sliders to send cc1 and cc11 midi data

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 B
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hello,

I have a Motif XS8 connected to Cubase 7 via USB with the Extension and the VST Editor installed. (And I love them.)

I'd like to use the sliders on the Motif as controllers for Modulation (cc1) and Expression (cc11) when recording midi in Cubase. I've gone through the manual, and the Data 2 document, and searched online. I've had a look at the Device Setup menu, and tired "learn mode", without success. I suspect it may just be a matter of more work to get it, but before I invest a whole lot of time into this I ust wanted to check that this is in fact possible and I'm not wasting my time trying to do the impossible.

Thank you.

Posted : 12/06/2019 1:06 pm
Bad Mister

When you are in touch with a Motif XS Part via a Cubase MIDI Track, the MW Sends cc001, and an FC7 plugged into the Foot Controller 1 Jack is set to send cc011 Expression. This occurs, naturally, as you *select* the Part. Typically, the XS is set to transmit Out on the MIDI Channel that corresponds to the Track number 1-16. CC messages are Channel specific, and are generated by the physical Controllers when you select to transmit on a channel. Using these dedicated functions is sufficient for most performers. Local Control is typically Off, when recording MIDI data to an external DAW, like Cubase. It would recognize the physical Controllers and record their cc message, then channelize the data on the way Out from the DAW.

The Sliders can only be assigned to alternate functions when using the Motif XS MASTER Keyboard Function. It is not clear from your post exactly what you are attempting, but when transmitting via a MASTER Mode configuration, you have the ability to assign cc numbers to the Slider and to the Assign Knob on a per Zone basis. There are a maximum of 8 Zones.

You can set the Sliders to any cc number 1-95 (except 32)
You can set the Assign Knob to any cc 1-95 (except 32)

Creatively using the Master mode you can transmit via 8 Zones simultaneously. If you need more than one Slider or more than one Assign Knob per Zone you can simply set a second Zone to transmit on the same channel as the first Zone — this will give you an additional Knob and an additional Slider. **Warning: make sure you set the Note Limit range of the second Zone so it DOES NOT send note-ons... you only need one set of Note-On events. Set the Range to G8-G8 for each additional Zone you link to your Transmit Channel. Avoid duplicating controls... for obvious reasons. But with some thought, you can make up the configuration you require.

Hope that helps.

Posted : 12/06/2019 8:30 pm
 B
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Always very helpful replies, Bad Mister - thanks once again.

Right - the FC7 foot pedal - a "d'oh!" moment for me. Forgot about that.

I'm just trying to send cc1 and cc11 to a midi track in Cubase since the VST instrument I'm working with uses both. Got cc1 from the mod wheel, but couldn't figure out how to get cc11. Figured two side-by-side sliders would be usable. But the foot pedal is better. I'll pick one up.

Thanks again.

Posted : 13/06/2019 1:24 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us