Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Playing multiple arps in pattern mode

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi there. I am new to these forums and also new to Yamaha Keyboards.

I’ve just recently bought the Yamaha Motif xf6 which I am using mainly for live performances where I am the only musician accompanying a singer. I need to be able to use a beat with variations, chord changes triggered by my left hand and also change voices multiple times for the interludes. e.g use a piano while the singer is singing and then changing to an accordion during the interlude.

My question is in reference to this article: https://yamahasynth.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=293%3Ausing-a-mixing-program-for-quick-access-to-multiple-sounds-in-a-live-setup&Itemid=102

In pattern mode I am defining multiple scenes for the song and each scene has a variation on the beat by assigning a different arp to the voices for the drums and bass. I am assigning a different voice to each of the remaining tracks for the interlude sections and can select the voices quickly using the track number keys.

The problem I am having is that I cannot get multiple arps to play and respond to chord changes in left hand in performance mode. I don’t know if there is a setting I am missing as the arps only respond if I am currently on the track number assigned. For example, I have set drums on track 1, bass on track 2, elec piano with an arp on track 3, piano on track 4. I need track 2 and track 3 to respond to chord changes while I play a solo section on track 4.

I’ve thought about using song mode but the singer tends to improvise a lot so I don’t know in advance how many bars will be required for each section of the song.

Can you please advise what is the best way to accomplish what I am trying to do.

Posted : 04/03/2016 6:28 am
Bad Mister

Hi bhupendra,
Welcome to Yamaha Synth!

The article you reference IS NOT about what you are attempting to do. The article clearly is about switching between Parts that are on separate MIDI channels. What you need to do is control multiple Parts by placing them on the same MIDI channel. HUGE fundamental difference.

The Motif XF is like most keyboards that deal with MIDI: it transmits on one Midi Channel at a time. (Only Master mode allows the XF to transmit on more than one Midi channel at a time via the keyboard).

In VOICE mode you play one program, typically with one instrument sound at a time.
In PERFORMANCE mode you play one program which can have as many as four instruments, this is accomplished because all the
Parts receive from the keyboard as if they were on the same MIDI channel. Some can be under direct keyboard control, while others take instruction from the arpeggiators. But all four Parts are addressed as one channel.

In SONG/PATTERN MIXING mode, each Track is set to a different MIDI channel, initially, you can choose to transmit on any one MIDI channel at a time. However, in these modes you can freely assign multiple Parts to receive on a MIDI channel. If you select the

button, by default, you are transmitting on the MIDI Channel of that Track, which is set to channel 1. This means you can play/control all
Parts that you set to RECEIVE CHANNEL 1.

Press [MIXING]
Press [EDIT]
Press [1] to view Part 1's parameter settings
Press [F1] VOICE
Press [SF1] VOICE
Here you can view the MIDI RECEIVE CHANNEL setting for your Parts.

Set your Voices and assign them to the PARTS 1-4
Assign the arpeggios to these Parts as you require.
Set each PART to receive on MIDI channel 1 - so that it takes instructions from the keyboard.
When Track [1] is selected, and only when Track [1] is selected, will you be able to play/control your four Parts.

With all of the first four PARTS assigned to receive on MIDI channel [1] it follows that you must select Track 1 to control them...
Typically, a PART is assigned to follow your playing directly (where it responds to your key presses by playing the corresponding note OR it is assigned to take note-on commands as interpreted by the assigned Arpeggiator.

The problem I am having is that I cannot get multiple arps to play and respond to chord changes in left hand in performance mode. I don’t know if there is a setting I am missing as the arps only respond if I am currently on the track number assigned. For example, I have set drums on track 1, bass on track 2, elec piano with an arp on track 3, piano on track 4. I need track 2 and track 3 to respond to chord changes while I play a solo section on track 4

Okay the problem we have with the above statement is it makes no sense. Both the article you reference and the very title of your post leads us to believe you want to work in PATTERN mode, not as you state here "in performance mode"; also we will assume that the drums are also under control of an Arpeggiator, or are we to assume you are manually playing drums, as well (?)... We'll assume they are following an arp, and that you are playing only the acoustic piano directly.

When setting up your Performance/Pattern Mixing (again we are unclear on which one you are using or want to use) make sure you properly setup the "Arp Note Limits". These are quite different from the "Part Note Limits". Here's how they are different:

Arp Note Limits - determine which key range on the keyboard will be used to feed instructions to the arp controlled Part. So if, for example, you wish to send chord information to Part 2 (bass) and Part 3 (e.piano) via your left hand, you must set the Arp Note Limits accordingly... Limiting control to the left region of the keyboard. The Arp NOTE LIMIT settings are made on the [F2] ARP MAIN screen while in Part Edit.

Part Note Limits - determine which pitches will be allowed to sound from a Part... which is quite different. You might wish to play the acoustic piano across the entire keyboard, you might want the drums and the e.piano to sound across the keyboard as well. The Part NOTE LIMIT settings are found on the same screen you set the Part's MIDI Receive Channel ([F1] VOICE > [SF1] VOICE)

So setting the Arp Note Limits is about which keys are used to feed instructions to an arp controlled Part. And Part Note Limits is about the pitches that can be heard from a Part.

For example, say you don't want the drums to start as soon as you begin to play... You have a rubato piano introduction. You can assign a single key as the only key that starts (triggers) the drum arpeggio to start. Perhaps the last note of your piano introduction. The Arp Note Limit could be a single key for drums because they play a fixed pattern only a single note is needed to begin (trigger) playback. But, of course, the Part Note Limit sets which drums will be heard... For example, say a drum groove is perfect for what you need but you wish to remove the Latin percussion, you would do so with the Part Note Limits... region all but the Latin percussion to sound.

Experiment with these settings until you are clear about their role and purpose.
Hope that helps. Let us know.

Posted : 04/03/2016 11:10 am
Topic starter

Double post.

Posted : 07/03/2016 4:46 pm
Topic starter

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation, much appreciated. Please bear with me as the last keyboard I bought was a Roland E28 18 years ago. The technology on the Motif is light years ahead of what I've used before.

I meant to say: "The problem I am having is that I cannot get multiple arps to play and respond to chord changes in left hand as in performance mode"

To give an analogy of how I used to play.

1. Select a beat and voice to use for lead parts.

2. Start the beat and play accompaniment (arps) with my left hand, a few solo notes etc while the singer is performing.

3. Press a button to do beat fills when required.

4. Press another button to select a different voice when soloing, changing the voice multiple times during the solo e.g first half of the solo = piano, second half = strings, etc

I am usually the only musician with a few singers performing, so effectively I need to simulate a drummer, bass guitarist etc.

The closest I have come to the above analogy on the Motif is to use pattern mode. I've done the following based on your suggestion:

1. Use sample slice to create a waveform for the drums part. (track 1)
2. Assigned the bass guitar and accordion, piano to other tracks (track 2, 3, 4), with arps selected for track 2 and 3. The piano is used to solo.
3. Set the Midi to channel 2 for the bass, accordion and piano tracks.
4. Assign the remaining instruments to other tracks.

This set up works really well when using the piano voice, however as you stated the arps don't respond when selecting voices on the other tracks. I also though about use the note limits and using another voice on the same midi channel but I don't have sufficient keys to play the passage on all voices when doing this. The great thing about pattern mode though is that I can select another voice quickly by using the track buttons.

The second thing I've tried is to use performance mode as follows:

1. Exported the waveforms from pattern mode and created a voice for the drum using these.
2. Exported the arps from pattern mode.
3. Created a new performance with voice 1 assigned to the new voice I've created.
4. Assigned the arps to the new created voice.
5. Assign track 2 and 3 to the bass and accordion and assign arps to these tracks.
6. Select a voice for the solo sections on track 4.

This works well in terms of controlling the arps with my left hand however I cannot change the voice for track 4 quickly enough as there are multiple buttons to press before the voice can be selected. I've also read that it is not recommended to change voices in this manner as it causes glitches.

I am attaching two files of the music I am trying to play. I've turned off the arps in the pattern mode but am doing all the voice changes that I need for the passage. In the performance mode, I have the arps turned on and am doing the chord changes that is required. I need the best of both worlds.

Performance mode: http://www82.zippyshare.com/v/gAgBNo9G/file.html

Pattern mode: http://www113.zippyshare.com/v/ao513izp/file.html

Thanks again for reading, I know my explanations are quite long.

Posted : 07/03/2016 4:48 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us