3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Tony
 Tony
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Hello.

I've created over 100 Multi Presets on my Motif XS Rack using the XS Editor, however, they were ALL derived from the three provided banks.

Last night for the first time, I decided to try creating one from scratch. I started out by initializing all 16 voices. This set them all to the default Piano voice.

I then changed the first one to be one of the standard drum kits, and assigned it a simple ARP to loop. All the rest I kept as the default piano voice.

The problem is as follows:
I expected to be able to play the piano sound while simultaneously hear the drums playing the ARP with no other extraneous or unexpected events or sounds.

What I experienced was when I hit a key the drums started and continued to loop (good),
I could also hear the piano sound simultaneously with each note I played (also good).
HOWEVER, I also heard a loud Kick+Crash with each and every keystroke (bad).

I confirmed that the mode was set to sort, not sort+direct. I also confirmed that the MIDI channels were set uniquely to 1-16.

Interestingly, when I changed the drum voice to a standard piano, but kept the ARP, I could still hear the cacophony of the MIDI notes corresponding to the kick+crash being played using the piano voice. Lastly, I confirmed that the kick+crash was NOT a part of the ARP which I chose. I did try other ARPs, but the result was essentially the same.

Would anyone happen to know what I may have overlooked creating my first Multi Preset from scratch?

Posted : 25/07/2016 9:10 pm
Bad Mister

Yes. It's a feature... And it is, in a manner of speaking, part of the Arp phrase. You must change it from its default when starting from scratch, because it defaults to "active" and if you don't want it you must opt out.

Here's what's happening, it's called "Accent Velocity Threshold" and allows you to set a velocity value that when exceeded causes an accent in the Drum Arp Phrase. The default for creating the Arp Phrase Accent defaults to 64... Why, you ask? So you know it's available. If it defaulted to off, frankly no one would find it.

You could set it to 126 or 127 so anytime you actually wanted to create a punched accent, you just exceed the Accent Velocity Threshold to cause this addition to the Arp Drum phrase. (page 68 in the Owner's Manual)

In the Arpeggio Edit area, look for "Accnt Vel Th" - set this as you desire or turn Off.

You only ran into this because you programmed from scratch. It is actually a cool feature - so they make you set it. Typically, at eight measure intervals or whatever your composition required you can have the looping phrase punch that Kick & Crash by hitting it with velocity. If you don't need it, simply set it to Off.

Posted : 25/07/2016 10:55 pm
Tony
 Tony
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Thanks Bad Mister! You are correct, it IS a very cool feature if you KNOW about. Now I do.

Tony

Posted : 26/07/2016 5:28 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us