Clear all

Queries Regarding FW16e Functionality

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
 Ray
Topic starter

Hi,

I'm interested in adding a FW16e card to Motif XF6, as I'm at a stage of song writing where I now want to transfer my music production ideas into Cubase.

However I have a few queries regarding the FW16e as follows;

1. I'm not sure what FireWire card I need to get for my Windows PC, as the Yamaha website states not all cards are compatible. Does anybody have recent experience of buying a card that works?
2. The Yamaha Motif manual seems to imply that the FW16e only transmits MIDI ports 1-3, does that mean you can't use the Motif in Remote mode to control Cubase? This would be a real shame, as I currently use this feature a lot through USB at the moment.
3. Would adding the FW16e card make the Motif's MIDI ports available to Cubase? I'm currently using a Virus Snow with the Motif, and would like to be able to sequence the Snow with Cubase through the Motif's MIDI ports? I'm assuming I can also route the Snow's audio through the Motif's inputs, over the FireWire, into Cubase as well.
4. I recently purchased the Steinberg Grand VST, but find it almost unplayable with the Motif, due to the amount of latency. Does anybody have experience of playing VSTs over the Yamaha FW16e, with regards to latency, i.e. is it going to be better than USB?

I appreciate there's a lot of questions here, but any help would be very gratefully received. I'm ultimately trying to decide between buying the FW16e or something like the Presonus StudioLive 16.0.2 digital mixer, which also has audio and MIDI over FireWire.

Many thanks.

Posted : 11/04/2017 5:46 pm
Bad Mister

1. I'm not sure what FireWire card I need to get for my Windows PC, as the Yamaha website states not all cards are compatible. Does anybody have recent experience of buying a card that works?

Off the top of my head, I don't know about current FW cards for Windows PC. I will check with Customer Service to see if they have a list. You can also contact the computer maker.

2. The Yamaha Motif manual seems to imply that the FW16e only transmits MIDI ports 1-3, does that mean you can't use the Motif in Remote mode to control Cubase? This would be a real shame, as I currently use this feature a lot through USB at the moment.

Each Port supports a different function.
MIDI Port 1 takes care of everything Motif XF (Note-IN's, controllers, tempo, etc)
MIDI Port 2 is identified as the Remote port for Control Surface commands to operate the DAW
MIDI Port 3 is for the 5-pin MIDI IN/OUT jacks and let you connect an external device to the computer via FW

3. Would adding the FW16e card make the Motif's MIDI ports available to Cubase? I'm currently using a Virus Snow with the Motif, and would like to be able to sequence the Snow with Cubase through the Motif's MIDI ports? I'm assuming I can also route the Snow's audio through the Motif's inputs, over the FireWire, into Cubase as well.

Yes, absolutely.

4. I recently purchased the Steinberg Grand VST, but find it almost unplayable with the Motif, due to the amount of latency. Does anybody have experience of playing VSTs over the Yamaha FW16e, with regards to latency, i.e. is it going to be better than USB?

Latency is cured by the ASIO driver you are using, with the FW16e you will be using the "Yamaha Steinberg FW Driver" which is a low latency driver. You will notice a significant improvement in the performance and sound of your VSTi's.

Posted : 11/04/2017 8:39 pm
 Ray
Topic starter

Hi Bad Mister,

I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions, the Motif XF is such an incredibly deep machine, there is still so much to learn! By the way, I bought your video on Music Production​ last year, absolutely brilliant, I learnt so much from watching it. I don't suppose you have plans to do another one on the XF by any chance?

It seems from your replies that the FW16e is the way to go, as it ticks all the boxes. Time to splash some cash!

Posted : 12/04/2017 5:48 am

You won't look back! The FW16e, in harmony with The Motif XF Editor Standalone on a computer, is only just incredible state of the art. ( imo )
I too have the Music Production. Mr. Bad is a fine instructor to say the least. πŸ˜‰
Good Luck!

Posted : 12/04/2017 11:41 am

Deleted - not able to attach .pdf files??

Posted : 19/04/2017 10:19 am

Ray,
Have att the link to the firewire chipset FAQ from the Yamaha FW16E webpage - http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset/file/?language=en&site=usa.yamaha.com&asset_id=58595
You didn't mention any details of your PC ie laptop/desktop, type of spare slots etc
I have a StarTech.com 2 port PCI Express 1394a Firewire card installed in my desktop tower Win 8.1 64 bit.
It uses the VIA - VT631SN chipset.
Regards

Posted : 19/04/2017 10:21 am

Deleted - reposted again due to lag time in pressing reply button :p

Posted : 19/04/2017 10:22 am
 Ray
Topic starter

Hi James,

My internet has been down, so only just got back on. Thanks for your reply, I can get the card you recommend locally and it's not that expensive, so looks a good option.

Many thanks.

Posted : 26/04/2017 10:35 am
Eminent Member

I would purchase a "Music Production with Motif - Volume 2" by Phil, as well.

Posted : 27/04/2017 4:27 am
Share:

Β© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved. Β Β  Terms of UseΒ |Β Privacy PolicyΒ |Β Contact Us