Notifications
Clear all

Slicing midi file songs already installed on a MOTIF XF

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 john
Topic starter

Bad Mister, I have 3 songs loaded on my MOTIF XF via a USB flash drive. They play fine but I want to silence certain voices so I can play along. The only thing I can do is play the default piano with a very faint volume. Second question: Now that these songs are loaded on the keyboard can I eliminate the parts of songs I don't want?
Thanks, John

Posted : 26/09/2017 7:16 pm
Bad Mister

You can MUTE any of the Tracks from playing back by pressing the correspond number button while the [MUTE] button is lit. You can disable that Track from playing back.

If you would rather play the sound assigned to that Part you simply select that Track while the

button is lit.

Posted : 27/09/2017 11:01 am
 john
Eminent Member

Thanks Bad Mister. What worked was muting track, playing the sound I want with the lit track. I also see I can change the voices to what i want. But what doesn't work is volume. I cannot hear my own playing as when i turn the volume up the whole song volume increases as well. Is there a way to only raise the volume to the voice I am playing along? Also, it would be helpful to be able to play more than one voice, playing along. Is this possible? Example on one Genesis song, Bright Saw is what I want and have with the right hand, but i need 3 String Octaves for my left hand.

Lastly is it possible to eliminate the parts of the songs i don't want. Thanks, John

Posted : 27/09/2017 10:13 pm
Bad Mister

Is there a way to only raise the volume to the voice I am playing along?

The answer you already know, there is a Control Slider for each Part. If you raise your lead sound to maximum and you cannot hear because of the other Parts, you must either redo the mix (i.e., turn the other Parts down) or find a way to boost the Voice assigned to the Part. Most of the Voice Volumes are conservatively set as to output, so you can often turn it up by dropping into Voice Edit and adjusting the Voice’s own volume. (Voice Volume, is different from Part Volume... explained below...)

From your [MIXING] setup
Select the Part you are going to be playing
Press [F6] VCE EDIT
This drops you into editing the Voice assigned to this Part
Press [F1] GENERAL
Press [SF2] PLAY MODE
Adjust the Voice VOLUME as necessary. (if it is already at 127, then please provide more specific details so we can be specific in our answers).
*Voice* Volume is different from the *Part* Volume on the CS; *Voice* Volume is the volume of the instrument, while *Part* Volume is the level used at the mixer. If you were in a band, plugged into a mixer, you have your instrument’s volume, and there is a separate volume control on the band’s mixer.

If the Voice Volume is low, turn it up
Press [STORE]
Store the edited Voice to the MIX VOICE location within your Song/Pattern Mixing Setup.

Also, it would be helpful to be able to play more than one voice, playing along. Is this possible?

Yes. You can play more than one Part by setting the RECEIVE CHANNELs on each of the sounds you want to play to the same channel, then transmit on that channel.

Example on one Genesis song, Bright Saw is what I want and have with the right hand, but i need 3 String Octaves for my left hand.

Place the Bright Saw in a Part, you can use any Part you desire.. place the String sound in another Part... but set the Receive Channel to the same number as the Bright Saw, then set your NOTE LIMITS so that you have them placed on the keys as you desire.

If, for example, the Bright Saw was placed in Part 1, you can see Part 1 is Set the Receive Channel 1
Press [MIXING]
Press [EDIT]
Press [1] to view Part 1 parameters
Press [F1] VOICE
Press [F1] VOICE
Here you can see the Receive Channel = 1

If you place the String in another Part set its Receive Channel = 1 also.
Now when you select TRACK SELECT [1] both Parts will sound

You can also set the NOTE LIMITs on this same screen.

Lastly is it possible to eliminate the parts of the songs i don't want.

Yes.
Use the SONG [JOB] called CLEAR TRACK
From [SONG]
Press [JOB]
Press [F5] TRACK
Select “Clear Track”
Mark the items you wish to clear...

STORE your settings...
Then SAVE your Sequence in a Motif XF format, either as an ALL data file .X3A or as an ALL SONG file.X3S

Posted : 04/10/2017 1:46 pm
 john
Topic starter

Thank you, Bad Mister. A lot to digest but I will give it a try.

Posted : 11/10/2017 3:52 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us