Song/Mixing/Master verses Performances when creating a 6 tune Genesis medley

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 john
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Bad Mister,

I am working up a Genesis medley. The full medley containing parts of 6 tunes require these voices: Bright Saw, 3Oscillators Vintage, Sunday, Hybrid bass, Muted Trumpet, Harpsichord, 3 Octave Strings, and Progressy. As you know a medley needs to flow smoothly from song to song. Am I better off to put all 8 voices in Song/Mixing/Master, then quickly increase or diminish the faders as the current song warrants? Or, am I better off to make 2 to 3 Performances, line them up side by side (example USR 1, A, 1, USR1 A, 2 etc) then press the part select button quickly when it's time to move to a new song? Issues on both methods. 1. It's difficult to move faders quickly enough in Song/Mixing/Master, and 2. The 1-2 second delay in moving from one Performance to another inhibits the continuity of the medley. Please advise. Thanks, John R.

Posted : 24/03/2017 4:05 pm
Bad Mister

There are polyphony issues with playing all the sounds simultaneously and simply raise the faders.

Please see the following article:

Using a MIXING Program for Quick Access to Multiple Sounds in a "Live" Setup

Posted : 24/03/2017 5:50 pm
 john
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I read over the article twice and talked to Robert in Customer Service about it. If I understand correctly, you just set up voices in a line in the track. That won't suit my needs as to play Genesis, ELP, Van Halen and King Crimson, I need layers to create the proper sounds. Example: it takes 4 voices on the right hand to replicate Tony Bank's Genesis sound, plus 3 voices on the left. As far as polyphony I have never experienced it. What I do know is you can't use Bright Saw, Lucky, or Classic Synth from C-2 all the way up to G8. The keyboard doesn't like it at all. Thanks for the article and suggestion, Bad Mister. May use the idea in the future, but for now not so much. Thanks, John R.

Posted : 24/03/2017 7:19 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us