Clear all

Thunderbolt 3 (usb-c) to Firewire

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 A
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I'm planning to upgrade my old macbook pro with a 2016 model. I know that there's a Thunderbolt/FW adapter for 2015 Macbook Pros but it's not USB-C. How should I connect my MOTIF XF to these new USB-C ports?

Posted : 28/10/2016 9:05 pm
Bad Mister

Apple changing the connectivity again. (Headphone jack, you don't need a headphone jack, that's so 20th century... (sarcasm))

We'll let you know when we find out.

Posted : 31/10/2016 8:29 pm
Eminent Member

I hope this "bridge" will hold. TB2 to TB3 adapterHopefully, a FW to TB3 is needed & made.

Moreso, I hope Apple doesn't inadvertently make it too difficult for Yamaha to maintain interoperability between the FW16E and new Macs for a good, long while. At one point, it will either be too difficult or impossible for Yamaha to make it work. Luckily, Yamaha keyboards are excellent "islands" onto themselves. But, the FW16E with a computer does take the XF/XS to another level. I trust Yamaha will give a good effort to keep the FW16E working with evolving Macs - up to a certain point.

Posted : 02/11/2016 6:05 pm
 A
Estimable Member
Topic starter

The current solution involves purchasing the following:
1- USB-C to TB3 converter.
2- TB3 to FW converter.
I'm wondering if it introduces noise to the audio going through the cable?

It will cost me about $100 which honestly is expensive for the quality apple cables have. Not that I'm a cheap person, I will invest that much in cables if I know they will last for a "long" time. I have purchased converters and adapters and power adapters from apple before and they all failed or have problems now after a couple or few years of use. The worst ones were the power adapter and the apple's $30 headphone.

I appreciate if Yamaha makes the cable themselves as they know what quality a pro cable should have better than apple. I really liked my MOX usb cable.

Posted : 02/11/2016 11:07 pm
Eminent Member

The signal is digital from the computer through all the cables & adapters through the FW16E and into the XF. Doesn't turn to analog until it's on it's way out the XF's analog outs. I would think the issue is whether it works or doesn't. And if yes, if it's reliable. From what I read, the 2016 MBP connectors are either TB3 or USB-C.
I figure you have to get a FW 400 to FW800 cable. Get that to TB 1/2. And then get that to TB3. That's simply a guess.

Posted : 02/11/2016 11:59 pm
 A
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Thanks for the help dsetto. I have the FW cable which I'm using it with my old macbook pro. I'm not good in explaining it technically (I can't even ask my own questions here) but I have experienced drop outs and bad audio signal at the other end with long USB and FW cables before (That may not be the case though as I'm amateur and don't know how to set up my gears professionally).

I'm afraid that this chain of converters turns into the weakest link of the cable as they're very likely to fail. I prefer a straight USB-C/TB3 to FW400 over this. But I totally agree with what you said. If it works, then

Posted : 03/11/2016 1:38 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us