Notifications
Clear all

Usb connection problem?

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 b
Topic starter

Hi, I'm new. I am using a breath controller with a midi keyboard to input audio and midi. I have been using a Roland UM One midi interface to successfully make audio and midi tracks, midi playback.

I recently disconnected the UMOne midi interface to try using a USB cable (I keep getting port error messages with DAWs, Cubase included). I discovered that when using usb cable alone (XS to computer), and with XS utility>midi>midi in/out set to USB, I get no audio from either the line outs or headphones in xs headphone jack. Is this normal?

I have midisoft thru set to on.
Is this enough info about my situation? Is the cable bad?

Posted : 14/08/2016 6:25 am
Bad Mister

Is this enough info about my situation?

Hi b,
No it's not near enough information. Some of it makes no sense when you just read it cold. But if I make assumptions I might be missing something... Let me know

The first paragraph is how you were successfully working - I assume.

The second paragraph begins by you disconnecting the working system to try a USB cable -??? To do what? I'm assuming you want to use the Motif-Rack XS as your MIDI interface? If you want to use it as an audio interface you'll need the FW16E FireWire expansion board... The Motif-Rack XS does not send audio via USB. You've been misinformed. It does MIDI only.

When you connect the Motif-Rack XS to a computer and set MIDI In/Out = USB, You can connect your keyboard's MIDI OUT to the MIDI IN jack of the Rack XS... In the DAW (Cubase), you'll see the Motif-Rack XS referred to as "Yamaha Motif-R XS-1" (port 1). You will see your external MIDI keyboard referred to as "Yamaha Motif-R XS-3" (port 3).

So in order for your keyboard to play the Rack XS, you'll need an active MIDI track to echo/Thru the signal to trigger the Motif-Rack XS; the Track Inspector should have the Motif-Rack XS port 3 as the IN, and the Motif-Rack XS port 1 as the OUT.

This will allow you hear the Motif-Rack XS through its audio outputs and headphone jack, but does not send any Audio to the computer.
Connect the analog L/R output jacks of the Rack XS to your audio interface.

Posted : 14/08/2016 12:34 pm
 b
Topic starter

Thank you for your detailed reply. I was not trying to hear audio through my USB connection to the computer, and from what you wrote, I am now reassured there's nothing wrong with my motif XS rack. I really am new!

My ultimate goal is to be able to save multi timbral Multi mode patches to the computer and use an editor program. I can't save them on my rack because the user banks are full of patches especially designed for the breath controller. I had been getting port error messages from editor and Cubase. The information you gave me will be useful and I thank you for it.

Posted : 17/08/2016 5:57 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us