Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Voice Elements' volume controlled by MIDI in SONG/Performance?

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Is it possible to control VOICE elements volume with any MIDI message while being in Song or Performance mode? SysEx? CC? Any idea other than controlling only few of them with Controller Set Assignment?

Or is it possible only in Montage? (BTW, it is possible in Montage with SysEx only, isn't it?)

Greetings 🙂

Posted : 29/11/2016 1:16 am
Bad Mister

Individual Element Levels are controllable via the Controller Set assignment... this is true in both Motif XF and Montage. (All modes)
They are also individually adjustable in real time via the 8 dedicated Control Sliders (called Faders in Montage) without the need for special assignment (Voice mode).

In Montage, you can access the individual Faders (Element/Operator) Levels at any time, by selecting the Part.

What is you want to do?

Posted : 29/11/2016 2:11 am
Topic starter

Trying to play with a hammond sound. 9 controllable drawbars + switchable percussion (2nd/3rd harmonic). Let's use Assign1 with Controller Set for the last drawbar. The percussion might be XA Control: AF1 on.

I don't need a Leslie simulation (since I can connect Motif to the real one or buy a Ventilator, etc).

I can apply overdrive using Master Effect (there's no way to control Master Effect "Comp Distortion Delay" Over Drive from MW without a MIDI translation).

But still I'm looking for the way to control individual element levels of one voice with drawbars/sliders/MIDI. One way would be to control 1st voice elements with MIDI while in Performance (probably impossible in Motif).

The other way is 9 voices assigned to the one channel in the Song mode (I haven't check it already).

I know the Montage element/operator levels idea. That's good (and confussing at the same time 😉 ).

(BTW, I can't log into this forum on Firefox. There's no "Sign-in" button. Is that a known bug?)

Posted : 02/12/2016 7:42 pm
Bad Mister

On a Motif if you want individual level control per Element you must dedicate the instrument to being in VOICE mode. There you have full attention of the synth to recreate that one sound. When in a Performance or Song/Pattern Mixing, the Voice is placed in a Part and is just one of several things the synth is doing. So the resources must be shared.

It's a synth, not an organ. I say that to point out if you know the drawbar settings you are going to use, you can synthesize that result. Say I want to switch between the typical Jimmy Smith jazz organ (first four drawbars fully out) to a typical gospel setting (first three and the 1' fully out), I can recreate that transition so that it doesn't require the full resources of the synth.
After all, you don't need five oscillators contributing zero output, using up polyphony... to not be heard.

A way to "synthesize" this transition can be done within a single Motif XF Voice using Element Levels. In fact, it can be done with just two Elements.
In the Wave ROM of your XF you have not only samples of each individual drawbar footage. And you'll discover certain popular drawbar configurations are already available.

No, of course, it's not the same experience was 'working' the drawbars on the B3, but that's true of every sound on a synthesizer. Playing an acoustic piano on a synthesizer is not the same as playing an acoustic piano. Playing a flute on a synth is not the same as playing an acoustic flute. Drums, etc., etc., etc. It's a synthesizer experience.

If you know about B3s spend your energy building the sound you want to start with, the sound you want to transition to, and work it out with your Element selection. We can help. Otherwise the Voice mode is your closet bet.

Posted : 02/12/2016 9:11 pm
Eminent Member

Hello all. I've gotten absolutely terrific results of approximating a natural B3 experience with my XF7. As I use some outboard gear it is a more time & space-consuming set-up. But it was great on sonics, control, & play-ability.

And yeah, it uses Voice mode. Having the 8 control sliders control 8 drawbars is my preference for being able to feel around for sound. …

But, in thinking about your question:
What about having each drawbar on one Voice? And setting up a Mixing. It is my hunch that a Voice's volume level could be controlled by some form of MIDI message. Then, you have 7 more Voices to cover the roles of the two percussions; including short & long. In this scenario, worst-case scenario, a 16-fader box is needed for those.

From there questions become:
- If in a Mixing, percussion can be set up to act properly, employing the legato feature.
- could the on-board control sliders control Voice levels in a Mixing
- reversing the 9 faders so they "pull out" instead of push.

It's a whole lot of work to get it going. But, I do know it's very cool to be able to get sufficiently satisfying B3 sound from my XF7 - and the next day, use it in an entirely different way

Posted : 07/12/2016 3:39 am
Topic starter

Bad Mister: it is impossible to predict, what drawbars are needed. It depends on musicality, taste, song develop, etc. Of course I can mix two drawbars into one waveform or remove some. The polyphony might be a problem here, but if 8 elements work quite good, 10 elements should work quite good also. I use key-on-delay for further drawbars (to simulate multi-contact keyboard in real organs), so I don't need a very tight transient here. The real problem starts with larger count of elements (such as K-Sound Signature Piano).

dsetto: you've got the point :> . We need about 10 elements. There are several ways with varius pros and cons:

1. Voice mode (using 1 voice)
- missing ~2+ elements for doing it right. The only workaround is to remove or mix some of them.
+ possible to add overdrive and rotary effect.
+ possible to control overdrive/rotary/swell with MW/FS/FC
+ possible to control percussion on/off and pitch with AF1/AF2

2. Performance mode (using 2 voices)
- impossible to control voice elements levels (how bad; improved in Montage). We can control only few of them with Controller Set Assignment.
+/- impossible to do the overdrive effect right. The proper way is only with Master FX Comp Distortion Delay, the workaround is to create Insert on every voice and smart predicting that the second voice with 1" should be presumably quieter when overdrive is high due to overdrive of the first voice (with 16/5,3/8/4/2,6/2/1,6/1,3 drawbars). However it is impossible to control Master FX Overdrive with MW. Of course we can use external overdrive FX.
+/- impossible to do the rotary effect right. (I assume that using 2 independent Rotary FXs will not do the job). Of course we can use external FX like Ventilator. (Workaround that can help a bit: we can output both voices to asL&R connected to A/D Input. We can insert Overdrive & Rotary on A/D Input. There's probably no way to control these effects' parameters with MW/FS. This idea should be checked as it may lead to latency/distortion/etc. issues)
+ possible to control percussion on/off and pitch with AF1/AF2

3. Song/Mixing mode with 10+ voices
- impossible to control drawbars levels independently (and I can't see good explanation for that, the sliders should work with levels on screen).
+ possible to control percussion on/off and pitch with AF1/AF2.
+/- overdrive: same as in the performance mode
+/- rotary: same as in the performance mode

4. Using PC or the second sound-module for the missing features.
+ everything is possible, but we can use Electro/VK8 or proper simulation then and we don't need Motif.

Any other ideas?

Regarding your questions:
- Percussion can be made with Common LFO (same as in eg. "First 3 w/Perc" voice).
- as above; I can't see good explanation for that, the sliders should work with levels on screen.
- Reversing the 9 faders is impossible (if we don't go to Master mode with a computer or MIDI box that will reverse these CCs/SYSEXes).

BTW, I've connected a conjunctive halfmoon to the Foot Switch/Assignable socket (FootSW(088)) to control the Rotary simulation speed. MW is available for different assignments then (such as overdrive).

Greetings,
kb

Posted : 11/12/2016 2:09 am
Eminent Member

It would be great if would could figure out a way for the 8 control sliders to control the volume levels of the voices in a Mixing.

(5pindin turned me on to the percussion via LFO trick that is employed in the stock Motif preset Voice. I found that to be amazing.)

Posted : 12/12/2016 6:10 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us