3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Rich
 Rich
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hello Phil

Windows 10 PC. Have XF FireWire to PC with latest steinberg FW driver. I have a focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Audi interface with the XF L&R outputs going into this interface. I use FL Studio as DAW.

This setup has worked flawlessly for months. after a 2 month hiatus, I turned system back on. I hear no audio when my DAW ASIO selection is the Yamaha Steinberg FW. (Odd because it was the default setup from my last use). I went ahead and tried recording a 4-track pattern and it recorded. I could see the audio signals in the DAW mixer and the visual meters. But I could not get any sound through my monitors. So I went into the DAW ASIO setup and selected the focusrite ASIO and everything I'd just recorded played back just fine. Of course I can't record via FireWire with the focusrite so I have to go back and forth. This never happened before.

Another forum suggested I make sure that the computers playback default device was the Yamaha FW WDM. This was new to me, but I gave it a shot. I pulled up the playback devices, selected the Yamaha FW WDM, and clicked on "test". The meter showed activity, but I didn't hear anything.
I scrolled up to the Scarlett 2i2 playback selection (which has always been the default), clicked TEST, and it was audible.

Hope this is enough info for you to work with..thank you

Posted : 29/11/2016 4:37 am
Bad Mister

Yes, it is, thank you. You initially say you use the Focusrite as your interface and the XF is connected to it. This means you will not hear any audio from the XF FireWire output, you need to connect the L/R analog outputs to the audio interface (Focusrite) and use its driver (not the Yamaha Steinberg FW driver).

Simple rule of thumb. The device that is your audio interface should be connected to your speakers and you should be using the ASIO driver for that device.

When you want to record through the XF's FireWire, select the Yamaha Steinberg FW drivers as your ASIO driver, connect your speakers to the L/R outputs of the XF or use headphones, then once you've recorded, you can switch to the Focusrite driver... for additional recording

The audio interface, naturally, will be the audio output device. Either one can be used to playback data recorded on the other. 'Playback' is easy enough for any driver. The heavy-lifting is processing the data while recording. That's why you must select the ASIO driver of the device processing audio during the recording.

Posted : 29/11/2016 9:44 am
Rich
 Rich
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Appreciate your help and the better understanding of audio interface. Hope you have a joyful holiday season

Posted : 29/11/2016 8:51 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us