Clear all

Vst editor

12 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
robert
Topic starter

Hallo
After installing cubase 7.5 and vst editor with motif xf everything is finally working with the help of Bad Mister .thank you.
I wanted to ask 2 questions
1.in hardware utility in VST editor I have tune automatically set to as I remember 448hz,much higher then official 440hz. It's not a problem I just change it to 432hz same like my motif and it's fine , hope it will stay that way when I do final audiomix down. Is it trying to make up the difference between motif tuned to 432hz and the official 440hz? I'd think so because it's 8 cents difference between 432 and 440 and between 440 and 448?
2.so VST editor is used to integrate motif with cubase , which is fantastic, and do all the mixing. So guess I would not need to use other cubase mixing consoles. Is there any other purpose there I'm not aware of? I assume I can not do mastering there right?

Posted : 28/10/2014 2:10 pm
Bad Mister

1.in hardware utility in VST editor I have tune automatically set to as I remember 448hz,much higher then official 440hz. It's not a problem I just change it to 432hz same like my motif and it's fine , hope it will stay that way when I do final audiomix down. Is it trying to make up the difference between motif tuned to 432hz and the official 440hz? I'd think so because it's 8 cents difference between 432 and 440 and between 440 and 448?

The Motif XF doesn't actually try to make up any difference... That would be an indication of some kind of independent thought, it is advanced but not that advanced. 🙂
If the value you set is not being recalled, then this is a bug. The exact tuning, should be recalled as a part of the "Global" settings. If it imports any other value than the one you originally set and STORED, then it is a bug. I will need to test this further, and report it.

I must admit I have never checked this as I'm a regular 440Hz kind of musician.... But if you choose to select a different tuning system or standard that should be able to be stored/recalled properly. The only thing you want to double check is that you have made the tuning setting and STORED this to UTILITY mode prior to making the ALL data (.X3A) file that you used to transfer the XF's tone generator settings.

If indeed, you have stored the tuning to Utility prior to making the file, then it is a bug.
Now that you are aware of this anomalie, make sure you always double check the setting before proceeding when you open this project. At least until we hear of a fix from engineering. I'll let you know what I find out.

2.so VST editor is used to integrate motif with cubase , which is fantastic, and do all the mixing. So guess I would not need to use other cubase mix

whether or not you use the CUBASE mixer is totally personal preference. The mixer in the Editor VST only affects the signal of XF tone engine. The CUBASE mixer has many advanced features including linking faders into groups - and since you are working with a Motif XF w/FW option you will have access to both the MIDI mixing levels and returning audio signals; and you have the ability to process the returning audio signal with computer based processing and EQ.

So the mixers will serve different purposes.

Posted : 28/10/2014 5:37 pm
Chopin123
Eminent Member

Thanks much
Yes, I did store tunning in motif utilities before song import .but wait this could be a little tricky........I recorded that song couple of months ago when my motif was tuned to 440hz, and I stored it on usb in safe all file format and then deleted this song from motif, so recently I put that song back from usb to motif and before I did that I chenged motif tuning back to 440 to avoid problems. So before I loaded that song (which was recorded in 440) on motif I changed motif back to 440. After I did that I chenged motif to 432hz ( thinking that it will change the song to 432 within motif ) and then seved all data to usb ,pluged usb to computer and imported the song to cubase and vst editor.......hope that's not too confusing 🙂

Posted : 28/10/2014 6:22 pm
Chopin123
Eminent Member

Btw, I just checked the tuning in VST editor after I loaded project again,sorry I was alittle wrong it's not just 8hz higher it's showing actually 466.8Hz ,exactly +102.2 cents . It always sets exactly this tuning 466.8 after i import song .......

Posted : 28/10/2014 6:29 pm
Bad Mister

It's confusing but I understand exactly what you are talking about. 🙂 The key to this all is, did you STORE the tuning setting to your UTILITY mode before you made the ALL data file? If your ALL data file contains your tuning and the recall function is not restoring it, then it is a bug.

But if you imported the Mixing to the Editor VST, that had a different tuning stored, then there is no bug. But it should recall the "stored" setting. Also "GLOBAL" must be marked to be restored in the Editor's "Auto Sync Settings". Truthfully, I will have to run some tests; (I know better than to just assume it is working...) As I said, I've no personal experience with storing an altered tuning. I'll let you know what my tests show, and if necessary, I will report it.

Posted : 28/10/2014 6:33 pm

hello,,sorry for coming this way into conversation,i have related tuning question.Does MX series has option of changing master tune from 440 Hz ?Thank you very much

Posted : 18/05/2015 2:44 pm
Bad Mister

Darko wrote:

hello,,sorry for coming this way into conversation,i have related tuning question.Does MX series has option of changing master tune from 440 Hz ?Thank you very much

Yes, it does.
[UTILITY] > 01: General > Tune

Posted : 18/05/2015 4:09 pm

wonderful...thank you

Posted : 19/05/2015 11:08 am

This tuning possibility also applies to MOXF6 or Motif XF?

Posted : 02/06/2015 2:18 am
Bad Mister

Yes. The Motif XF is the subject of the original question. They all can be tuned.

Posted : 02/06/2015 3:46 am

Tuned means that each note can be adjusted ? Or just general change but equal temperament remains?

Posted : 03/06/2015 12:45 am
Bad Mister

Darko wrote:

Tuned means that each note can be adjusted ? Or just general change but equal temperament remains?

Your question is posted on the end of a discussion about the VST EDITOR and thus is unclear. No the VST EDITOR does not allow you to tune each note like you tune a piano's strings individually. But yes selecting a tuning will adjust notes according to the scale you select. And you can create a USER tuning which lets you tune the twelve tones of an octave -creating your own micro tuning scale, this can be applied to the entire range of notes

If you wish to create a Voice where you can tune each of the 128 notes individually you can do that with a Motif XF... It is the model with the ability to create your own source data "from scratch". It has a built-in sampler with full edit capability on-board the instrument itself. It depends on the preparation of the Voice *you* create.

The Editor, being discussed here, allows you to select a set tuning, be it Equal Temperament, or one of a dozen different scalar tuning types; or one of your own User scales. What is your particular goal? If it is not about the VST EDITOR please start your own thread under the keyboard you are interested in finding out about.

Posted : 03/06/2015 11:08 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us