Notifications
Clear all

Bass Voice goes out of tune mid=phrase

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member
Topic starter

So I have a bass line in my sequence. It's a repeating phrase. In the first measure it sounds fine and normal. But in the very next measure. measure #2, the phrase goes noticeably out of tune. It is most glaringly flat in the very first note (the highest) in the phrase, but it's pretty much the whole phrase. Again, in measure #1 the exact phrase plays just fine. At first I thought it might be my hearing gone bad, but I double-checked through different sources, headphone, with mixer, without mixer. It's for real and I'm baffled.

I've done the usual trouble-shooting. Making sure the Mod wheel is not engaged. Check the sequence itself for errant Pitch Bend events anywhere previous in the list.
I've tried changing to a different Bass voice, but it still goes flat. So it's not the Voice, per se. . I've copied the track and moved everything to another track -- the second phrase, and ONLY that measure, still goes flat.

I'm stymied. Anybody?

Posted : 22/03/2022 3:24 am
Bad Mister

Not enough information — clearly it is data in the track telling the Part to change; don’t assume it’s PB, that is not the only way to make a Part go flat.

Posted : 22/03/2022 11:02 am
Eminent Member
Topic starter

If I transpose the sequence of notes up 12, it sounds in tune, just an octave higher. Because the "flattening" seemed to take place in the second phrase I just now tried Muting other Parts from the Mix while listening to the section in question and the Bass seemed to my ear to stay in tune. When the other Voice is sounding in the Mix the bass sounds flat. Could there be some quality in another Voice that would confuse the ear and cause an aural illusion? Or maybe my own hearing is distorting somehow?

Posted : 24/03/2022 6:46 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Maybe the other voice or voices are sharp and the bass sounds flat when the other voice(s) start.

Also phase cancellation can remove/squelch some harmonics and alter the perceived pitch.

Posted : 24/03/2022 9:01 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us