Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Best way to transfer patterns/songs from MO to MOXF

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I'm in the process of transitioning from the MO8 to a MOXF8. I have a number of patterns and songs that I want to bring over from the MO8. What's the best way to do this - save all songs as mid files to usb then import them back into MOXF? Do I create an empty song/pattern, create the mix for it then import? And for patterns - as I want to retain the sections of the patterns - do I need to save each section of the pattern as a separate mid file and import each file into each section? I believe I saw a similar post on this subject some time ago on this forum or on motifator.com but couldn't seem to find it. Thank you.

Posted : 26/02/2022 10:09 pm
Bad Mister

save all songs as mid files to usb then import them back into MOXF

save each section of the pattern as a separate mid file and import each file into each section

Correct on both accounts.

I can give you some tips.
First, recognize that this is a large task. Make sure you put aside enough time to complete each file. Once you get a feel for how much time and concentration it takes, you are better prepared for the task. It gets easier after the first one. You are dealing with recreating two things - the Sequence and the Synth Setup (MIXING). They are separate things.

The MIDI Data from the .mid has only what is recorded to the Sequencer Track after you pressed record.
It does not, therefore, contain any of the MIXING settings that make up the Synthesizer part of the equation.

When you think about it - it is the playing (the track data) that would take the most time and effort to recreate, so you will be assembling a new MIXING setup... which means in all likelihood: Choosing new Voices for each Part, setting the Levels, Pan positions, Effects and Effect Send levels etc., etc., etc.

You have purchased a new synthesizer - with a new expanded set of features and sounds... so in theory, with a bit of concentration you should be able to make it sound better than it did. But take my advice... when it comes to music, you can try to recreate exactly what you did before, or you can go ahead and take a fresh look at what existed and seek to improve upon it.

What would be helpful is a Track list... Knowing what instrument is on each Track will be important.
When you SAVE each Pattern Section as a separate MIDI File be sure to find a method that works for you. IF you name each by just the Section letter, then when you move them to USB stick - put them in a FOLDER together (Folder should be named after the composition the Section belongs to)... in other words, if you have lots of Patterns, the name "A" becomes meaningless as soon as you start on the second Pattern... Find a naming system that works for you.

There are times a new sound will have you thinking, "Wow, if I had access to this sound originally, I would have used it!" --- And you might even have played things differently with this new sound. Well, I encourage you to go ahead and reDO IT. Don't just sit there lamenting about some old sound you can't find. Choose a new one and complete the work.

Trust me, I've down this stuff for a living. You will find many of your favorite sounds in the MOXF, but you will immediately notice the MOXF is a full generation beyond the MO.
The MO had a four Element architecture, while the MOXF has a massive 8 Element architecture. This can mean more attention to details within the sounds. New Effect processing is available. More that quadruple the Wave ROM!!! Double the polyphony

The MO had 175MB of Wave ROM - 64 note poly
The MOXF has 741MB of Wave ROM - 128 note poly

Don't spend a lot of time looking for the exact sound by name, if you cannot find it right away... try substituting one of the newer MOXF sounds...

Posted : 27/02/2022 9:08 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us