Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Can we play MOXF like PSR key board using MOXF with Cubase?

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi, Dear Bad mister

Can we play MOXF like PSR key board using with Cubase?
I think there should be a way to play live with cubase but i could not find yet.
or is there any application to play live MOFX. play fill, break, intro
MOFX only come with 4 part performance mode not enough for live playing.
Please help in this regard.

Posted : 22/08/2018 11:10 am
Bad Mister

As you know, the MOXF is not a PSR. It does not have a fill-in button, nor does it have the same kind of A-B-C (Auto-Bass-Chord) accompaniment STYLE ENGINE found in the Yamaha PSR engine.

Any similarity you may recognize is that the four Arpeggiators available for use in the MOXF can do chord intelligent adjustments to your keyboard input. The difference between a PSR Style Engine, and the MOXF’s Arpeggiators is one of focus.

The PSR is setup for “live”play or it can be documented to a Song Recorder that documents your performance.
The Arpeggiators are optimized to transfer chord intelligent musical phrases to the Sequencer (sequence meaning “one-after-the-other”, in a specific order...

The focus of the Style engine is real time accompaniment
The focus of the Arpeggiators is real-time recording.

That said, you can battle against what they are “focused” on and attempt to record one track at a time on a PSR, and you can make the MOXF kind of behave like a Style engine. But be forewarned, their “focused” design will make you scratch your head about why it is doing what it is doing. While you can fashion an Intro, there is no Intro button, or Ending button... nor Fill-in buttons

Example, touching the “Fill-in” button on a PSR will automatically play the stored Fill-in, it will automatically adjust the length of the Fill-in to the beat on which you touch the button... a 1-bar fill-in will play all four beats if pressed just prior to the downbeat. If you touch the fill-in button during beat 2, the fill will cover just beats 3 and 4, and then it will automatically move to a Main Section at the top of the next measure. It always makes you look good!

The MOXF has no Fill-in button... could you fashion one of the 8 Arp Select buttons to act as a fill-in, well yes. But it’s behavior would not have it automatically go to a main Section. The workflow in the MOXF is create a Rhythm Section (Drums, Bass, chordal Instrument) as your backing, while playing along... allowing you construct Sections that can be “chained” together, (that is where the automation comes in). The focus being able to record the entire Rhythm Section at once - create a Section A, then separately construct Section B, and C etc through to letter P if you require... you can the list the Sections in an automated “CHAIN”.... Later you can go back and punch-in things like Fill-ins.

In general, the MOXF’s “focus” is toward professional sequence creation using the chord intelligent Arpeggiators
The “focused of a PSR is toward professional real time accompaniment using the chord intelligent Style engine to perform

The MOXF is for do it yourselfers
The PSR has a bossa nova Style where the 8 piece backing band all play that Style. The main sections, the fill-in, the intros the endings are all bossa nova.

All Arpeggio Phrases in the MOXF, are individual... but if you select a bossa nova drum Arp, and a bossa nova bass Arp, and put them together with a bossa nova guitar Arp, yes, it might very much remind you of a PSR STYLE, but it’s behavior would appear to fight against you. Because things that so brilliantly happen automatically on the PSR STYLE engine do not on the Arp engine. And as I’m explaining ... it has to do with the designed “focus”.

I’ll try to find you a link to an article that may help you understand the “focus” and an example workflow for using the MOXF efficiently.
Hope this is helpful

Here is an article that goes in depth into how a user might construct a drum track using the Arpeggiator engine... try it out step-by-step, itbwill givebyou a flavor of how one might approach drum track construction (please recognize that it is NOT, by any means, the only way to appear h the subject. It is offered as a possible workflow.

MOXF: Painting Drum Arpeggios to the Sequencer

Posted : 28/08/2018 1:13 pm
Topic starter

Dear Bad Mister,
Your descriptive answer is really helpful.
I used performance mood part 1 for drum, part 2 for base, part 3 guitar ARP play. Part 4 tried to split 2 voice. But couldn't. It allow use only another 1 voice to the part 4. I think it has 4 voice limitation results so that use only 1 voice with other 3 backing rythem play.(drum,bass,guitar). Also used other ARP button for fills.

If you can add any suggestion to this is highly appreciated.

Any method for live playing for Moxf with Cubase using with arranger track or any method?

I saw some video that karma lab with Moxf play live.

Thank you very for your support and I will go through the drum ARP painting article.

Posted : 29/08/2018 12:38 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us