Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

HOw to undo split in performance parts? How to overwrite the parts/clear them completely???

9 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

1) Hi, is there not some easy way to delete a part and just create a new voice for that same part, which overwrites the old? DO I have to make a performance all from the start again?

2) WHen I made a split it evidently takes up /occupies one other part/layer. Is this correct?

3) How to control which part then becomes the split part??? It seems to default to part 3.

4) How can I get out of that split mode? I tried a lot of things. Do I really have to go deep into the menu for that silly thing?

It seems very tricky just to do this one thing 🙁

Are there bugs in the newest update which I have?

Would You recommend me to get the Roland Rd 2000 and if not then why not if more user friendly?

Posted : 18/08/2018 1:37 pm
Bad Mister

Hi Dines,
We can tell you are not a Manual reader, and that is okay. That’s the reason we have a resource like this website. Here we can get specific and answer, directly, your questions. Each individual learns differently. You don’t want shy away from learning to operate your tool; Sure riding a tricycle is easier than riding a bicycle, you wouldn’t want to give up on it just because the other is easier (it may be easier because it doesn’t do enough to be complicated).

1) Hi, is there not some easy way to delete a part and just create a new voice for that same part, which overwrites the old? DO I have to make a performance all from the start again?

Yes to the first question - there is an easy way to delete a Part and create a new one. And no, to the second part of this question, it’s your choice.

The only correction we will offer to your first statement is this... you don’t have to “delete” a Part. Just simply replace it. You can replace it by selecting another Voice or you can (when your ready), program one yourself, and place it in your Performance. Your choice.

If you have a Performance you like and wish to change any one or more of the Parts, you can... you use the numbered buttons while in [EDIT] to select a Part for editing. In the case of a Performance, that will be [1], [2], [3], and [4]. The edit parameters are selected using the [F]unction and SubFunction buttons under the screen.
Press [EDIT] > press [1] for Part 1 > press [F1] VOICE > press [SF1] VOICE... here you can now just select any of the 1350+ Voices for this Part.

When you finish editing Press [STORE] to write it to internal memory.

2) WHen I made a split it evidently takes up /occupies one other part/layer. Is this correct?

An important definition to understand here is the “Split” as used in the MOXF. The term “Split” is specifically used to define a keyboard program with a “Lower” and an “Upper” Part. One of each, with a single Key that represents the lowest Note in the right-hand sound. For example, a piano in the right hand C3 and above, and a bass in the left hand B2 and below. The Split Point = C3 (middle “C”).

This is not a difficult thing to grasp, fairly basic. However, a Performance can have four Parts, what if you want to have a separate octave that only has a lead sound... (thus a three zone setup) well, you can do that too, on the MOXF, but it is technically speaking, not a “Split” as defined by the MOXF terminology. You can have any four Voices, one in each Part of the Performance, and you can set Note Limits for each with no restrictions. Each can be zoned to a region unique to itself... so overlapping areas, even areas where no note sound (place the high note limit lower than the low note limit to create a “no-fly” zone). No restrictions.

Why or how did it get to be like this? Well, if you are on stage and need to create a Split really quickly, the “Performance Creator” is there for immediate on the fly programming. You can create that Piano/Bass Split as quick as a bunny:
Call up the Piano in Voice Mode
Touch the Split button. You are automatically switched to Performance Mode, the Piano becomes Part 1, Part 2 is automatically *selected*, you taken to “Category Search” and offered the Bass Category and the “Split Point” Key.

Creating a Layer, on the fly, is just as quick with the “Performance Creator”.

However, if you are not in such a hurry (on the spot), you can build your Performance using the Note Limit parameters, rather than the single Split Point. Again, it’s these Note Limit parameters that allow you more flexibility when it comes to setting up regions of play across the keyboard.

3) How to control which part then becomes the split part??? It seems to default to part 3.

No it does not default to Part 3. As you now know “Split” is between two Parts, an upper and a lower.

4) How can I get out of that split mode? I tried a lot of things. Do I really have to go deep into the menu for that silly thing?

If you created a Performance using the the quick, “on-the-fly”, “Performance Creator” and would now like to add another Part, you will want drop into EDIT (Performance Creator allows the beginner to easily create a Split or a Layer, and then add a Drum Kit without ever having to hit the EDIT button). But if you would now like to dive a little deeper into the MOXF... You’ll find the parameters that allow you to freely Note Limit your four Parts just as you require (without the upper/lower thing necessitated by the Perf Creator’s Split Function).

Say you want to change a Performance Split, to a Multi Part Performance that you can freely set the Note regions.
Recall that Split Performance
Press [EDIT]
Press [COMMON]
Press [F1] GENERAL
Press [SF2] PLAY MODE

Here you’ll see your “Split Point” and you’ll see the “Split Switch” parameter- what you’ll want to do is *not* use the Split function.
Turn Split Switch = Off.

Press [1] to view Part 1 parameters
Press [F1] VOICE
Press [SF3] LIMIT
Here you will see the four Part slots of the Performance, and the NOTE LIMIT LOW, and NOTE LIMIT HIGH parameter settings.
The Note Range is C-2 through to G8. No keyboard instrument has that many notes (128)... just for scale (pun intended):
An 88 Key Piano would be A-1 through C7
A 76 Key Synth would be E0 through G6
A 73 Key Synth would be E0 through E6
A 61 Key Synth or organ would be C1 through C6
Yamaha uses the C3 = middle “C” convention. Just FYI.

It seems very tricky just to do this one thing 🙁

Only until you’ve done it once, like riding a bicycle, tricky at first, so, so very easy every time after that

Are there bugs in the newest update which I have?

Not that would worry you. The firmware is very mature from the first release. No system is without bugs, but the MOXF is a bug free as the come!

Posted : 18/08/2018 3:00 pm
Topic starter

Hi Bad Mister, Well I have read the manual and seen videos though months ago. Was real easy. But today I entered a performance which had been stored as "New Performance" in the User bank. It contained 4 parts and one of them was a "VIntage '74", saved in part 4. HOwever there seemed to arise problems after having split it.

I realize my first question should have been asked only in relation with this split issue, since I have created and changed layers in performances many times before.

What I did was this: To click "split" then choose a bass, the press "enter." It then prompted me that it was going to save the split layer in PART 3. THat is why I asked, how to control this.

When I hit the solo button under Performance control, and chose part 4 then obviously the split range became silent.

Now if I wanted to remove this split and have the VIntage 74 cover all the keyboard again, that is when I had the trouble undoing the Split. I tried to click layer and I tried to just overwrite using category search. But the split just remained.

SO if I understand you correctly I need to use EDIT to remove this split which CAN NOT just be overwritten or removed from part 4?

Posted : 18/08/2018 3:44 pm
Bad Mister

SO if I understand you correctly I need to use EDIT to remove this split

That’s correct. When the [SPLIT] button is lit, there can only be “upper”, “lower” or “both” around one “Split Point”.

Turn SPLIT Off, and use the Note Limit parameters. Easy peazy

Posted : 18/08/2018 4:29 pm
Topic starter

Thanks, I practiced the note limit function see you in another thread 😉

Still I think that when you create a performance and push split, then what you choose for the left hand will overwrite one of the parts and in my case it automatically chose part 3 to store the bass. Or is that not right?

Posted : 18/08/2018 5:06 pm
Bad Mister

If you are talking about using the “Performance Creator” - which is a macro (explained in your Manual and in my answers above) that goes from a Voice > to a Performance.

Pressing [SPLIT] ? When did you press it? You are supposed to press it while in VOICE mode. There is nothing in any Parts when you are in VOICE mode. You start in Voice mode, press SPLIT, it assigns the Voice you started with to Part 1, it moves you to Category Search for a Bass for Part 2. Try it, but if you miss the very first step it will not work for you

Step 1> Start in [VOICE] mode

Posted : 23/08/2018 5:29 pm
Topic starter

Well, as mentioned I used an already created Performance, then selected Part 4 with a Keyboard sound which I wanted to split. THen when being in the VoiceS (in the panel)by clicking F2, I had the overview of all 4 parts then used the arrows to select Part 4 which I wanted to split.

THat is when it prompted me to store the Bass in part 3, or whatever I chose for the left hand.

Posted : 27/08/2018 7:58 am
Bad Mister

Again, it’s the terminology that has you stumped... you want to “Note Limit”, not “split” - I explained what Split means in the MOXF.
TRY AGAIN. Use “Note Limit”.

Posted : 27/08/2018 6:29 pm
Topic starter

Yes I already did when you explained it. Just wanted to show that Split worked in that way in an already created performance.

Posted : 28/08/2018 2:24 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us