Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Can't delete last empty measure of a song

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I also posted this under "Deleting a section of song", but --- my related question :

I have a short song of 3 tracks for 4 measures. When I play the song, it will appear to play all rests for a 5th measure. Looking in Edit mode at all the MIDI events shows only 4 measures worth.

When I go to SONG MODE , job DELETE MEASURE, and specify 005-005, I get an error message , "No data".

How can I get rid of that last measure?

Posted : 30/01/2015 11:39 pm
Bad Mister

We removed your duplicate question. Thank you for creating your own thread... As you issue is different from the other poster's question.

The MOXF adds one measure on to the end of your music activity in SONG mode and then executes a STOP command. Rather than just continuing to run (forever) like most linear recorders, part of the design concept is to play one measure after the end of your music activity and then execute STOP. You cannot DELETE this basic extra measure. And, by design, there is "No Data" in it. This is how the MOXF 'knows' to STOP.

What is the problem with the STOP command being where it is placed?

Posted : 31/01/2015 4:58 am
Topic starter

There is no real problem.... I'm just trying to understand. Your explanation makes perfect sense except I notice that when I play a preset song, I see/hear notes being played in the final measure. This would seem to violate your explanation above... ?

Posted : 05/02/2015 3:50 pm
Bad Mister

They 'seem' to violate the explanation but they do not.

Take the first Demo Song "Dawn2Dusk" - it is 48 measures of music data, the 49th Measure is the empty measure added by the MOXF... you will find no MIDI data in a measure identified as 049. The last event that is audible over measure 49, is actually played on TRACK 14 in measure 048 on Beat 02 - it has a long release time - but no notes are played in measure 049...

the Release portion of an envelope can cause audio to hang over - MIDI data triggers an audio event and just because the transport stops, does not necessitate that the triggered audio stop (as with an audio recorder) MIDI is not audio. If you triggered an event that had its Amplitude Envelope Generator set with a really long RELEASE, even though the sequencer STOPPED that audio would continue until its audio finishes even though the Sequencer transport STOPS. Effects can also hang over (reverb tails, echoes, repeats etc.) Say you have a REVERB tail set for 6 seconds... unlike audio tape or a hard disk with audio, stopping play does not cause the REVERB to choke to a halt. MIDI triggers, the audio responds and continues in spite of the sequencer transport... make sense?

But, trust me, there are no notes in the "extra" measure. Because the last significant event of the SONG is in measure 048, 049 is the added (empty) measure.

Hope that helps.

Posted : 05/02/2015 7:26 pm
Topic starter

Excellent! Thank you very much!

Posted : 06/02/2015 3:13 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us