Notifications
Clear all

Changing the sounds

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 Tay
Topic starter

Hello, I recently purchased the MOXF8, when playing the keyboard in a saved voice, is it possible to hold a chord and hit one of the 1-16 buttons to play a different effect but not cut the first effect until you change the chord? My former ancient Casio WK 1200 used to do this. In other words, you would be playing in strings mode, you would hold a chord while changing to piano mode but as long as you kept holding that chord the sound wouldn't change from strings until you lifted your hand and put it back down again. Is this possible with the MOXF8?
Thanks, Tay.

Posted : 12/02/2016 9:18 am
Bad Mister

No, and Yes....

No: your MOXF8 has much more complex Effect processing and routing to those effects for you to move from program to program without sound interruption. So moving from one Voice program to another Voice or one Performance to another Performance would necessarily reset all sounds... Causing an interruption in the sound. In VOICE mode, a single Element has a routable path to one, the other, both or neither of the two possible Insert Effects. This flexibility allows a Voice that is "Piano and Strings" to have a separate Insert Effect for the Piano Elements and one for the String Elements... This adds to the complexity of each Voice. A simple keyboard where all the effects stay the same this is easy, because they effects are just applied overall just before the Outputs.

Yes: That said, on your MOXF you can switch between active "Parts" in the same program, so for example, the MOXF allows you to recall 16 Voices assigned to 16 Parts in a SONG/PATTERN MIXING Program. When you recall a Mixing Program all Effect resources are recalled and are in place so you can switch between any of these 16 Parts, without sound interruption. Plus you still get all of the benefits of the individual Element routing within each individual instrument sound. You can play a String chord on Part 1, hold that either by holding the keys, or with the sustain pedal, switch to an electric piano in Part 2, and play it while the strings continue to be held (until you release the keys, or release the pedal). You can do this among the 16 Parts of the current Mixing setup.

This is possible because all of the Effect resources: 8 Dual Insertion Effects, the System Reverb and Chorus, the Master Efx, etc., are all in place when you recall the MIXING setup so switching between Parts of this Mixing allows you to change MIDI Transmit Channels using the buttons [1]-[16].

Additionally, your MOXF is a synthesizer with XA CONTROL, which allows you to dynamically switch between different articulations (gestures) on a sound, for examplke, call up the String > Ensemble VOICE "Medium Large Section". Here the [AF1] button switches the String section from bows to pizzacato. This is handled by setting each ELEMENT within the Voice to respond, or not, according to condition of the Assignable Function buttons.

Now pizzacato and bowed are related to the same basic instrument, orchestral Strings, but this can be used to switch between entire instrument sounds, if you so desire. XA CONTROL can easily have you creating sounds that radically change during your performing - the activation of the AF buttons can be operated with a Foot Switch and/or Foot Controller.

Please the following article: [url https://yamahasynth.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=384:using-a-mixing-program-in-your-live-setup&Itemid=102 ]Using a MIXING Program in your "Live" setup[/url]
Hope that helps.

Posted : 12/02/2016 12:19 pm
 Tay
Topic starter

Thankyou very much Bad Mister, you are very helpful and worth more money! Tay.

Posted : 12/02/2016 10:36 pm
 Tay
Topic starter

Hi Bad Mister, I followed the steps in the link and put the voices I wanted into song mode. All is well, I can now change voices without glitch. A few questions, one of the voices I put in is Piccolo (USR3 036 C04), can I edit this so the echo is completely gone? I was able to do this in voice/master mode, but can't get the same effect in song mode.
Can you layer 2 voices in the one number? eg. aah choir and ooh choir in one song number?
Can you set the display so it shows the name of the voice as you change each one in song mode?
Thanks,
Tay.

Posted : 13/02/2016 12:28 pm
Bad Mister

A few questions, one of the voices I put in is Piccolo (USR3 036 C04), can I edit this so the echo is completely gone?

Since there is no echo on this VOICE, it can obviously be removed. Check your send levels.

[fquote]Can you layer 2 voices in the one number?

Sorry, the question does not compute... what's in "one number" - Voices can be placed in PARTs, One Voice in a PART

In a SONG number you can place any 16 Voices in the 16 Parts. I'm not at all clear what you are asking. The Aah Choir could be in PART 1, the Ooh Choir could be in PART 2... you have 16 Parts.

Posted : 13/02/2016 10:48 pm
 Tay
Topic starter

Hi Bad Mister, sorry, my lingo is not great. What I am trying to achieve is 16 voices to easily switch between with no sound glitch in a live setting, which is working so far.
However, when I go through the voices by pressing buttons 1-16 is it possible to see the name of the voice on the display screen?
In regards to the choir question, In song mode, I have set aah choir as button number 3, is it possible to layer ooh choir over the top so it is also stored in button number 3 in song mode, in other words so they play at the same time?
Also, I tried splitting two voices in new performance, everything went to plan except this- I have rock grand piano from in the upper from c1, and sax brass band in the lower from c1. Can I leave the piano sound as is, but shift the pitch of the sax brass band so it is higher?
Thanks in advance,
Tay.

Posted : 13/02/2016 11:01 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us