Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Connected MOXF to Cubase AI7 and entered the twlight zone.

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
John
 John
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Connected MOXF to Cubase according to the article Moving a MOXF song into cubase.

But when I tried to play it - we entered the twilight zone -Seriously!
1. The MOXF sequencer played along with the Cubase sequencer! Local control was off - External control was on. (MOXF Song mode showed EXT) When I pressed the stop button on MOXF it stopped. But the play light stayed lit - (steady not blinking)
2 When I tried to change Cubase tempo - if I increased tempo - the cubase sequencer would advance 2 bars. If I decreased tempo - it went back 2 bars.
3. But the weirdest part was when I shut the whole thing down and was trying to play another song on MOXF - the sounds came out scratchy from the song. Seriously scrtachy.
I went to the voices direclty and they sounded fine - but the sound from the Song mode - Mixing mode was like a layer of white noise was added.

Initialized it - and everything was back to normal.

Just kinda weird.

Posted : 25/01/2015 7:54 pm
Bad Mister

When MIDI messages that are meant to be kept discreet get mixed, you will indeed enter the "twilight zone". If you enjoy chaos and unpredictability then continue to "cross the streams", but as you probably don't want radical unpredictable behavior, we highly recommend when weirdness ensues you start your troubleshooting with your MIDI Port assignments.

We could analyze each of your experiences but it would be more practical to tell you how to avoid them, in general.

The MOXF communicates with your computer on 5, count them, 5 MIDI ports. Each can contain as many as 16 channels of information - that's potentially 80 MIDI channels of data. Crossing these streams (getting data design for one specific purposes mixed in with data designed for a completely different purpose) is not only unpredictable but can be harmful ... (Stuck notes, clock sync errors, buttons triggering notes, keys changing effects, windows opening unexpectedly, seemingly random chaos... Your "twilight zone".

Midi messages that you deal with when making music can take on different roles depending on which port they travel on. Let's define some terms:
A Port is the equvalent of a Midi cable In and another Out. Via a USB cable multiple Ports of data can travel.

Port 1 - is you music port. Here the MOXF sends Note-On information, Tempo, Controller data and the like. The commands you use to play music.
Port 2 - is for the REMOTE CONTROL commands for your selected DAW REMOTE template. Here a Note-On event is used as a "switch". Which when received might open a screen, or close a window, or mute a track, or solo a track, etc.
Port 3 - is a second music port, but used exclusively for one external device connected to the 5-pin MIDI IN/OUT jacks on the MOXF back panel. The messages are designed to pass through the MOXF without impacting the MOXF itself.
Port 4 - is reserved for the MOXF Editor Standalone/VST. Here the standard MIDI commands control the functions of the Editor
Port 5 - is used for the REMOTE EDITOR which allows you to control external VST Effects and/or VST Instruments running on your computer.

If you do not keep these five streams of data separated (discreet) you will be transported into Rod Serling's world of strange behavior. The most common error is to unknowingly merge the signals by selecting all the Ports as input sources for your MIDI TRACK. It strictly a case of: you really don't want to do that.

Go to DEVICES > DEVICE SETUP > MIDI > MIDI PORT SETUP.
Here, in the column marked "In 'All MIDI Inputs'" you want to mark only device ports that you want to send to the MIDI TRACKs. Namely, the MOXF's own music Port, Port 1. And perhaps, Port 3 if you have an external controller connected to the 5-pin MIDI jacks of the MOXF.

When you create a MIDI Track, in the Inspector the default for the Input assignment = "ALL MIDI INPUTS" This means each item you marked in the "In 'All MIDI Inputs'" column... This is how they can unknowingly become merged. This should be avoided at all costs. You can do so by properly marking only Ports 1 and 3, or by setting the Track Inspector by selecting just a single device.

The All MIDI Inputs option allows you to simultaneously have multiple controllers (say you have a weighted action keyboard for piano, and a synth action controller for organs and synth playing).

Any way avoid crossing the streams as outlined above and you will surely avoid the chaotic situation you describe.

By the way when synchronizing the MOXF to Cubase, you need to decide if you want/need the two to be running at the same time. If you are using the MOXF as just a TONE GENERATOR, then you probably don't want the MOXF sequencer to go into play - set the SEQUENCER CONTROL parameter to OFF.
If you need to have them both running simulataneously, then naturally set the SEQUENCER CONTROL = In

An alternative cause could have been simply your computer becoming confused due to it performing a background task causing it to miss certain critical messages you sent. A reset usually clears it. Make sure your computer does not go into SLEEP or HIBERNATION mode during a lull in your session. Often all settings do not restore themselves. Optimize your computer for music, this means you want 100% of its attention, 100% of the time. Shutoff functions that use idLE time to do computer housekeeping, or searches online for updates. Again critical messages can be not fully received and send illogical commands to your system.

Hope that helps.

Posted : 26/01/2015 5:53 pm
John
 John
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Thanks Phil!

I'll go through your check list above.

I'm pretty sure that I only enabled MIDI port 1 - because that's what you say over and over in your tutorials.

But I'll check everything else too.

Computer based sequencer/recording is difficult for me - very confusing. :p

But I want to learn some new skills. And as you say in your tutorials - it's best to know how to work both the hardware and the software because that gives the greatest flexibility.

Take care!

Gumby

Posted : 28/01/2015 5:05 am
New Member Guest

By the way when synchronizing the MOXF to Cubase, you need to decide if you want/need the two to be running at the same time. If you are using the MOXF as just a TONE GENERATOR, then you probably don't want the MOXF sequencer to go into play - set the SEQUENCER CONTROL parameter to OFF.
If you need to have them both running simulataneously, then naturally set the SEQUENCER CONTROL = In

Hello, BM! How can I get it?

Posted : 14/03/2015 2:48 pm
Bad Mister

Press [UTILITY]
Press [F6] MIDI
Press [SF3] SYNC
Sequencer Control: "SeqCtrl" controls the transport of the MOXF... whether it sends commands out or is set to receive them or both or neither.

Posted : 14/03/2015 3:06 pm
New Member Guest

I want to print audio from Yamaha in Cubase. When I press the record button in Cubase Yamaha does not start plaing.

Posted : 14/03/2015 3:20 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us