Notifications
Clear all

Octave of a single layer.

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
10.2 K Views
Topic starter

I bought MOXF8 a few days ago and I'm wondering how to change the octave of a single layer. The noteshift function shifts the whole keyboard and I dont look for that.

Posted : 24/01/2015 9:06 pm
Bad Mister

You must use the PART NOTE SHIFT parameter within the Performance or Song/Pattern Mixing... Not the UTILITY mode's global Note Shift.

The architecture of the MOXF is wide, not deep. They are just two levels of editing: COMMON EDIT which effects all Parts together and PART EDIT which is what you want, to change the Note Shift of a single PART.

If you are in a SONG/PATTERN press [MIXING], if you are in a PERFORMANCE just...
Press [EDIT ]
Press the PART number button to select the individual PART.
Press [F4] TONE
Press [SF1] TUNE
Set the NOTE SHIFT parameter to whatever you need; each integer is a half step. 12 steps = an octave

Press [STORE] to update your Performance or Mixing setup.

Posted : 25/01/2015 8:33 am
Topic starter

Thank you for you help. I have one more question. Is it possible to set a layer to be only in side of a split?

Posted : 25/01/2015 1:53 pm
Bad Mister

Никой wrote:

Thank you for you help. I have one more question. Is it possible to set a layer to be only in side of a split?

We think we know what you mean - but you are using the terminology incorrectly. Words in capital letters denote terms you will find used in your MOXF operating system.

A LAYER is when two or more sounds share the width of the keyboard in a specific region, such that they all sound from every note pressed in there region.
A SPLIT is when a single note defines the point at which the upper sound (or sounds) stop and below which the lower sound (or sounds) begin.
When a sound is set to BOTH it will sound across the entire keyboard, ignoring the SPLIT POINT and will play from any note pressed.

A sound = a PART.

A Split divides the keyboard into *two* regions, an UPPER region and a LOWER region. You can have multiple PARTS on the Upper side, and you can have multiple sounds on the Lower side. A sound (PART) alternatively, can be assigned to BOTH - which means it will not heed the Split Point divide.

This takes place in PERFORMANCE mode. In a Performance as many as 4 Voices can be addressed, each Voice is placed in a PART. A PART is a set of parameters that address the Voice in this combination Program. If you create your Performance with the [SPLIT] button lit, this UPPER/LOWER/BOTH function will apply.

If you want to divide the keyboard in more regions than just Upper/Lower, you can do so by not using the Split Point, but rather by using the PART parameter called NOTE LIMIT. The Note Limit parameter allows you to freely create regions for each Part as you desire, they can overlap or be configured any way you require.

In SONG/PATTERN MIXING mode there are 16 PARTS, and you can play one at a time or as many as all 16 together. In a MIXING, each PART has a MIDI channel assignment. If you place more than one PART on a MIDI channel, they will sound together when a key is pressed in their NOTE LIMIT region.

If you placed all 16 PARTs on MIDI CHANNEL 1, for example, then when select to transmit on Channel 1 they will sound when you trigger a key that matches the Part's NOTE LIMIT and VELOCITY LIMIT settings.

It is important to use the terminology as used in the manuals. Please use the PDF Reference Manual to do further reading on this subject.

Posted : 25/01/2015 4:10 pm
 Gay

I would have asked that question the same way. As an end result, a split was required with sounds layered only on one half. You could then let us know that something called a NOTE LIMIT is required. I have yet to even find that term in my manual, by the way. Chiding someone for not knowing all of your terms is not very user friendly. We're musicians, not computer techs.

Posted : 27/10/2019 6:34 pm
Bad Mister

Not chiding anyone. I simply recognize that in learning any subject it is the first and largest stumbling block in learning the subject. The terms TRANSPOSE and NOTE SHIFT are two important concepts that may initially seem to be or do the same thing, but the terms as used in the Yamaha Synthesizer to mean two very different things.

Transpose is the term for changing what the Keyboard is sending
Note Shift is the term for changing what the Tone Generator is sounding.

See the Reference Manual pages 30, 68, 140
The Tone Generator is the synth sounding... shifting the tone generator affects only the sound.
The Voice can be Note Shifted
A Part can be Note Shifted...
if you want to raise the left hand sound in a split by an octave but leave the right hand sound alone... you want “Note Shift”... changing the Keyboard (Transpose) is totally different... the split point moves when you Transpose the Keyboard.

There is only one Keyboard —changing it (Transpose) affects everything
The can be more than one layer — changing the “Note Shift” is on a per Part basis, each Part can be shifted separately.

So when asking a question and saying “the note shift function shifts the whole keyboard” is incorrect on several levels.

It is the Transpose function that shifts the whole keyboard.
It is the Note Shift parameter that only shifts the individual synth Part itself.

If you don’t know, (and why would someone know this), that Transpose and NoteShift cannot be used interchangeably within this Synthesizer... So if it seems like I’m “chiding” someone, that is incorrect. Yamaha gives specific behavior a parameter name... using familiar terms but giving them product specific functions.

“Split” is a common term, why would any know that Yamaha is defining a Split as “Upper” and “Lower”. If you ask, “can I make a three-way split” — technically, speaking no. If you go looking for Split Points, you’ll be frustrated. But you can divide the tone generator to respond this way... this would have a different terminology... using the terminology “Note Limits”. You can set Note Limit regions to create a three way split... no one expects, the user to know what Yamaha’s definition of the term is going to be... but we must point out that it IS important to use the correct terminology — particularly when learning the product.

So had you asked the question in a similar way, I would be remiss if I didn’t point out exactly the importance of the correct terminology in this case. They are similar — separated only by exactly what they change. If later you go and look up the term “Split Point” you will see there is only one Split Point — between upper/lower. But the term “NoteLimit” will allow you to create regions that set boundaries for the Parts. If I don’t answer with correct terminology — what good would the answers be?

Posted : 27/10/2019 8:43 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us