Notifications
Clear all

Control Mainstage Volume in MOXF

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Manny
Topic starter

Hello guys/gals, I have a MacBook Pro running Mainstage connected to our MOXF8 via host USB cable.
What I'm trying to do is to control the volume of only Mainstage via the synth and mute the internal sound.

Is it possible? I can hear the Mainstage sound AND the synth sound at the same time.

Thank you for your help!

Posted : 15/03/2016 5:06 pm
Bad Mister

Sounds like it is an issue for Mainstage...
You know how to send VOLUME messages from the MOXF, right?

Posted : 15/03/2016 5:13 pm
Manny
Topic starter

I'm not familiar.
I have setup in Mainstage Audio Input and Output set to the MOXF8.

Thanks.

Posted : 15/03/2016 5:20 pm

Hi Manny,

I don't have my board in front of me, but I have the same setup and did this some time ago. Works great.

1. Initialise a new Voice
2. Switch off all the elements
3. Save Voice as 'ExternalSynth' (or something like that).
4. I added this to my Master for quick access.

Now when you switch to that voice, no internal sounds are playing and you can control the Mainstage volume with the DAW volume slider. Alternatively, when I want to switch over to the internal sounds, I can do that and just drop the DAW volume. Best of both worlds.

Posted : 15/03/2016 9:17 pm
Bad Mister

What I'm trying to do is to control the volume of only Mainstage via the synth and mute the internal sound.

Is it possible? I can hear the Mainstage sound AND the synth sound at the same time

If you are controlling external MIDI devices, you want to be using the MASTER Mode of your MOXF8. It is designed to allow you to control internal and/or external devices via 4 ZONES. 4 Internal and/or 4 External devices.

You can select the 4 ZONES, and if you do not want to hear the MOXF, simply mute the INTERNAL ZONE.

In a MASTER Mode setup you can transmit from your MOXF on as many as 4 MIDI channels simultaneously (maximum).
Press [MASTER]
Press [F2] MEMORY - here you can, if you wish associate this setup with an internal Voice, Performance, Song or Pattern.
Press [F3] ZONE SWITCH - set the ZONE SWITCH = ON and the ZONE KNOB = ON - this will allow you to create your four internal/external Zones and use the KNOBs of the MOXF to control volume and panning of your internal and/or external devices.

Press [EDIT]
Touch [1] to view the parameters of ZONE 1
The [F] Function buttons will allow you to setup your Zones: Transmit Channel and Destination, Note Limits, Transit Switches for each type of control message, you can preset Bank Select/Program Change, and you can assign what the KNOBS send (default is Volume and Pan)

At [F1] Transmit you can activate or deactivate the Zones - if you do not want the MOXF to sound simply set INT = Off.

Posted : 16/03/2016 12:34 am
Manny
Topic starter

Thank you so much for your help!
I'll try that as soon as I can put my hands on the keyboard.

Posted : 16/03/2016 4:53 pm
Manny
Topic starter

Hey Bad Mister, I tried the instructions above and I was still able to hear the internal MOXF8 Voice.
Perhaps separate the keyboards with a MIDI controller is the easiest fix : /

Thank you for your help!

Posted : 21/03/2016 1:25 am
Bad Mister

Manny wrote:

Hey Bad Mister, I tried the instructions above and I was still able to hear the internal MOXF8 Voice.
Perhaps separate the keyboards with a MIDI controller is the easiest fix : /

Thank you for your help!

If you set the INT SW = off while in MASTER ZONE mode, you should not be able to hear the MOXF8 Voice, please check again.

While in MASTER mode, with the Zone Switch set ON, all MIDI transmitting done by the MOXF is determined by the Master mode EDIT settings.
Press [EDIT]
Navigate to the Zone settings by touching [1]
Press [F1] TRANS
Here you can set the MIDI CHANNEL
you can also select if this channel is routed internally INT = ON, or externally EXT = ON, neither or both.
If INT = OFF, the MOXF will not transmit to its own tone generator.

(If, indeed, you are hearing the MOXF, then for sure the MIDI signal is being "echoed back" in via the MIDI jack from some external device. You can easily verify this by disconnecting that In.)
Let us know.

Posted : 21/03/2016 2:11 pm

sorry but i was wondering: how about turning local off?

http://faq.yamaha.com/us/en/article/musical-instruments/keyboards/synthesizers/sy-moxf/10717/8065/

hope it helps

Posted : 17/04/2016 4:23 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us