Seamless Song Switching

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hello,
I will try to explain what I would like to achieve,
In PATTERN Mode F6 ---> Chain or, in SONG Mode F6 ----> Chain, let's say after creating a a song chain, I'd like to know if my MOXF lets me to switch seamlessly from one song to the next one in the chain, without any cutoff in envelope and effects.
Would it be possible by using the Master Mode?
I read this article : " Using a MOXF [MIXING] Program for Quick Access to Multiple Sounds in a β€œlive” Setup ", and this article too :

" Press [SONG]
Call up a blank SONG location 01-64
Press [MIXING]
Press [CATEGORY SEARCH]
Set the Category to STRINGs
Select a String sound you would like to use, press [ENTER]

Press Track [2]
Press [CATEGORY SEARCH]
Set the Category to ORGAN
Select the Organ you would like for PART 2, press [ENTER]

Now.
Press [1]
Play the Strings, step on your sustain pedal to hold the strings.
Press [2]
Play the Organ, using the entire keyboard… the strings will hold as long as you hold the pedal."

They are very useful, but they explain how to seamlessly switch from one sound to the other one ( i.e. from 1 to 16) , thus between Tracks within a Song or a Pattern,
but my purpose, would be to do this between Songs or Patterns

any ideas or suggestions are welcome

Thanks a lot

Posted : 15/03/2016 7:11 pm

Sorry D. That's not possible in Song mode. The new Song needs to set up all new insertion effects etc.

The only other idea I could think of is to put each full song into a single Pattern. Then you could switch between them using A - B - G - D etc.

Perhaps an incentive to look at the Montage πŸ˜‰

Posted : 15/03/2016 9:21 pm
Bad Mister

I'm not sure where the musical term got lost but back in the day when we were not 'playing back' music via some technology, we used to call one song going seamlessly into another a "medley". You have to adjust the musical compositions to make this work.

With the prerecorded technology (vinyl being the main culprit) cross fading one composition into another has taken on an entire life of its own. Two pieces of music can be seamlessly transitioned or rudely usurped, depending on the person spinning the records. There are even artful transitional pieces of music that are inserted in-between two compositions to make the transition work.

If you want to do something similar with a MOXF you have to pre-plan it and work out the arrangement. I've done this and hope I can explain what you might need to do with whatever you are trying to transition between (so much of this depends on the music)...

As mentioned above, separate Songs are just that, separate. But a SONG has many more measures available than you are using, I'm sure you've noticed... You can create two separate SONGS and link them by placing one after the other in the same Song number location.

If you have created Patterns and then Chained the Pattern Sections to a Song... You know that you can target a Song 1-64, and you can target a "start measure". Convert your first composition to Song 1 starting at measure 001. Say it is 250 measures. Convert you next Pattern Chain to the same Song 1 starting at measure 251. That will allow you create a medley... Two musical compositions played back to back...

Now, whether or not this will work, is as I mentioned largely dependent on the music. When I was doing this, I was creating a situation where I wanted it so sound like a band transitioning (playing a medley) from one song to the next - so my instrumentation was not an issue. I simply overdubbed some things at this transitional point to make it musically make sense. That's the magic, creating that illusion that these two things belong together.

Your mileage will vary, especially if like two vinyl songs, the instrumentation might be entirely different... But with some pre planning you can pull off almost anything. I've even created an illusion of one fading out while the other fades in... You have to figure out how to hide the transition, much like arranging any "medley"

You realize that DJ's who did this with vinyl solved this issue by having TWO playback devices, and you can see why when the songs are on separate pieces of vinyl... Why then, is it so hard to comprehend that the two compositions (Song sequences) are also two separate entities. The only way to solve this in a single sequencer is to place both compositions in the same Song location... That's why it counts measures up to 999...

Hope that helps or gives you some idea of what you must do...

Posted : 15/03/2016 11:45 pm
Share:

Β© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved. Β Β  Terms of UseΒ |Β Privacy PolicyΒ |Β Contact Us