Notifications
Clear all

Edit drum patterns in MOXF performances

7 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I am amazed at how good some of the stock performances are as far as drum patterns and arpeggios. Could somebody please help with a simple step-by-step approach to editing performances in order to select different drum patterns or arpeggios?

Also, the performances appear to be grouped into 3 banks as User 1, 2 and 3. Are there other third party or Yamaha performances available to purchase in order to expand the number of performances. I am especially interested in Trance/Techno/Chill genre of sounds. I love how we can "build" the parts of a song using SF1 through SF6.

Thanks for your help.

Posted : 20/03/2020 12:03 pm
Bad Mister

The best place to start is with the Owner’s Manual Page 31-38 where it goes over how to build a Performance starting from your favorite VOICE... The “Performance Creator” from scratch, and how to assign Drum Arpeggios, and how to interact with a Performance.

It actually is a good basic guideline with illustrations and step-by-step instructions. If you get stuck, you can post back here for clarification.

Creating a new Performance by using your favorite Voice (Performance Creator)...page 31
Playing the keyboard in the Performance Mode...page 34

Hope that helps. Let us know.

Posted : 20/03/2020 12:47 pm
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks man, I will try to work through the manual as you suggest!

Posted : 20/03/2020 8:46 pm
Eminent Member
Topic starter

A follow up question please. Has Yamaha released any other Performances that can be loaded into the MOFX? Or other third party creators? I'm interested in electronic, techno and trance genres.

Posted : 21/03/2020 6:50 pm
Bad Mister

Links below to two site that feature sounds for the MOXF:

YamahaMusicSoft

EasySounds

Posted : 21/03/2020 7:08 pm
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks for the links. So there are some nice looking packages on there. One of them says it has 24 Performances (User1). Does that mean I would have to over-write 24 existing performances to load all 24 on my MOXF? Are there not any empty user slots available for Performances and/or voices? If not, seems like a pretty serious limitation on the keyboard.

Posted : 22/03/2020 11:25 pm
Bad Mister

All MOXF Performances are in User memory. You can load All Performances and Voices by following the LOAD INSTRUCTIONS that come with each library.

If you cannot find 24 Performances that you don’t ever intend to use (you might be the only MOXF owner) then yes, it is a “serious limitation”. You can only load 256 Performances in the MOXF. Not enough? Really?

When you purchase a Library what you are paying for (mainly) is the Voices. This is where the expertise of the programmer/author shines. Frankly, anybody from rank beginner to expert can make Performances. Example, say you buy a library that features Synth Pads and Synth Basses... all the talent goes into making and building the Voices - this is where the samples are programmed into Waveforms, where the controller assignments are made, where the Insertion Effects are programmed, where the Filters, and Envelope Generators are set... etc., etc. This is where it takes serious programming talent.

The Performance simply takes a finished Synth Bass Voice and a finished Synth Bass Voice and places them in the Parts of a Performance. The most important decision made in the Performance is where to put the Split Point and how much Reverb you want on the Pad.

In other words, you need no special talent to program a Performance... think of them as examples of what you can do with the Voices provided when you combine them.

In the Performance, they may have added a Drum Kit. But generally speaking, I recommend load the entire Library as an All File. Play through the Voices, play through the Performances - the Performances are provided as examples of what you can develop on your own.

The reason Yamaha left all the Performances in overwriteable User memory is because say we made a factory piano / bass split. How can Yamaha know exactly *where* you want to split the keyboard? We can’t. Wouldn’t it be cruel to fix the Split Point at OUR favorite Note? And burn that into memory...

Performances are EASY to make, (and Yamaha anticipates that users will hopefully make their own - starting day one)... it takes very little in the way of DEEP programming chops... you just need to know what you want to do, and where on the keyboard you want to place them. Pick your favorite Voices and combine them.

After playing through the library’s provided Performances... study the ones you like. You can load a Single Performances from any ALL data file .X6A by setting the Load Type = performance. See your Reference Manual for information on how to Load.

Posted : 23/03/2020 1:30 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us