Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Feature Requests for JOB functions and Data Entry

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

NOTE: after reading this entry, I realize an alternate title of this post could have been: "But my QY-100 could do it just fine..."

1) UNDO shortcut: On my beloved QY-100 I can undo a recording by hitting "shift+JOB." On the MOXF I have to press JOB, then make sure the UNDO tab is selected with the context buttons under the screen, then Enter. Seems like small fry, but it adds up. Would it be possible to do on MOXF?

2) NUMERIC ENTRY: In general the spinning wheel on the MOXF works well for selecting values, but sometimes it would be faster to just enter a number. What if you could press SHIFT + some other buttons on the keyboard to enter numbers directly? Again, a small thing but would make standalone operation that much slicker.

3) APPLY MIDI CURVES TO A SINGLE BEAT: I did a lot of weird CC automation using the JOB->CREATE CONTINUOUS-> and then selecting from Measure 1, Beat 1 to Measure 1, Beat 1 and it would draw super fast curves. On the MOXF it just says "illegal input"

Thanks for reading!

Posted : 21/08/2017 10:30 pm
Bad Mister

Hi Scott,

Suggestion: Use your "beloved QY100" then Export the file as a SMF... or learn how to do the same things on the MOXF. You seem to know that the first one can be done, so I really don't understand the complaint...

If all the button pressing is burning too many calories, you can "undo" a recording by simply placing the MOXF in "Replace" Record. Try it, works like a charm, immediate, easy. If you tend to make mistakes and need several passes, REPLACE RECORD is you best friend.

The Data Dial on the MOXF is Velocity Sensitive, the faster you move it, the farther it moves. This does take some practice and is a skill worth the time developing a feel for... when you're good you can go from PB = -8192 all the way to PB = +8191 in two and a half cycles. Seriously, I've met scores of MOXF owners who never realized the Data Dial is Velocity Sensitive.

The way Yamaha was able to squeeze so much of the MOTIF XF engine into the MOXF was to leave some of the elegant interface function to alternate methods... would it be better to have an alphanumeric keypad? why sure... but our thought was to include every sound making function in the MOXF... It literally is a Motif XF in many of the more important functions.

And apparently the right mix of features and functions given it's been the best selling Workstation keyboard every month since its release... must be doing something right.

[SHIFT] + [Inc/Yes] advances by units of 10

#3 - because that is an "illegal input" - that's why it displays the error message.

Posted : 21/08/2017 10:49 pm
Topic starter

Bad Mister wrote:
Use your "beloved QY100" then Export the file as a SMF... or learn how to do the same thing on the MOXF. You seem to know that the first one can be done, so I really don't understand the complaint...

Fair enough, regarding export. But, my point regarding the "undo" on the MOXF is that it takes 2-3 successive button presses and a visual check, instead of a 2 button-press combo I can perform without looking. As I said, it is a small thing, but having to look at the screen to ensure that I am indeed on the "undo" tab is a step that I have noticed is a tiny bit of friction between takes, As opposed to a 2 button combo that I can perform without looking.

Bad Mister wrote:
try recording 16 Track on the QY100!

Different synths have different features, point taken.

Bad Mister wrote:
The Data Dial on the MOXF is Velocity Sensitive, the fast you move it the farther it moves. This does take some practice and is a skill worth the time developing a feel for... when your good you can go from PB = -8192 all the way to PB = +8191 in two and a half cycles. Seriously, I've met scores of MOXF owners who never realized the Data Dial is Velocity Sensitive.

I have definitely noticed the wheel is velocity sensitive, and I also have found that shift and the wheel advances in nice even increments of 10 as well, but I find I frequently overshoot and have to do a little correction back-spin when I am looking for specific values. Whereas, if I know the exact number I'm looking for it'd be nice to just enter that number with 2 or 3 button presses.

Bad Mister wrote:
[SHIFT] + [Inc/Yes] advances by units of 10

I hadn't actually tried this one, that's very helpful, thanks.

Bad Mister wrote:
#3 - because that is an "illegal input" - that's why it displays the error message.

Right, so then, is there a legal way that I can I draw a CC curve from 0 to 64 every 20 ticks starting at beat 1 of a measure and ending right before beat 2?

Posted : 21/08/2017 11:27 pm
Topic starter

Doh!

I retract #3 as I tried this last night doing measure 1 beat 1 000 to measure 1 beat 1 480, and it worked just fine. Whatever I was thinking of I didn't describe it properly yesterday.

Sorry!

Posted : 22/08/2017 5:38 pm
Bad Mister

Scott,
Try "Replace" Record instead of "undo".
No other buttons to push, just record again.

Posted : 22/08/2017 8:05 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us