Notifications
Clear all

Sustain Pedal FC4

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi there
Long time I used a Roland RD700SX-Piano and a Roland-Sustainpedal. There are two options on the pedal. You can use it that the pedal hold the tone if you press it down, and if you release the pedal the sound (tone) will desapear fast. (Like on/off) Or you can use it like on a Grand Piano. So if you release the pedal slowly the tone will desapear slowly, as I said like on a GrandPiano. Not like On/Off.

Is this possible on the MOXF8 with the FC4 Pedal as well?

Posted : 22/08/2017 3:32 pm
Bad Mister

Yamaha has been building acoustic pianos since 1900... I mention that because the company understands the behavior and sonic qualities at a very deep level. Further, they endeavor to continue to study and use the fruits of that study in their hybrid, electronic and synthesizer products.

The FC4A acts as a simple ON/OFF switch - it is your basic momentary, 0 or 127 behavior... it has a TS 1/4" jack (Tip-Sleeve)
The FC3A acts as a continuous control sending all values 0 through 127 (not just 0 or 127)... it has a TRS 1/4" jack (Tip-Ring-Sleeve) This behavior is called "Half Dampering" and allows the Amplitude Envelope Generator to adjust your control over the note's behavior.

The pedal you want to get for a MOXF is the FC3A type (TRS jack) because then you can select the Sustain Pedal behavior
Press [UTILITY]
Press [F4] CTRL ASN (Controller Assign)
Press [SF2] FT SW (Foot Switch)
Your settings include:

FC3 (Half On) = Half Damper On
FC3 (Half Off) = Half Damper Off
FC4/5 = regular On/Off switch type

Select the setting you desire according to the type of pedal you have, then press [STORE] to write this preference to your instrument's on board Flash ROM.

To learn more about the Half Dampering function and how it is implemented in Yamaha instruments, please see the following article... and even though it refers to the Motif XF, the implementation is exactly the same in the MOXF.

Half Damper Function, Damper Resonance, and Key Off Sample

Posted : 22/08/2017 8:55 pm
Topic starter

Many thanx for your quick and proper answer. I'm very happy with that!

Posted : 23/08/2017 6:53 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us