Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Pitch shift anomaly when plugged in with Ableton Live

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi Phil - I've been experiencing an odd behavior when I run a USB connection between the MOXF and my computer while Ableton Live is running backing tracks. The backing tracks are at standard concert pitch and that pitch is not being varied as far as I can tell. What I've noticed is that the entire keyboard shifts done in pitch about a half step. I checked the Utility settings and there is Note Shift or Detune indicated. I also checked the individual VOICE edit to make sure there were no changes in pitch there either (I know how to implement those types of changes). But my ear is definitely hearing a drop in pitch. It is either the Ableton playback is being adjusted up, or the MOXF master pitch (if there is such a thing) is being lowered. But I'm pretty sure that the backing tracks are not shifting.

This behavior does not occur or stops when I unplug the USB connection, so it would appear that there is some MIDI value coming into the MOXF that is causing the adjustment. Any thoughts about what it might be and how I might overcome it? (Obviously I'm not asking about Ableton Live here; I have no similar problems when I interface to Cubase of course).

Thanks as always,

David

Posted : 23/08/2017 1:06 am
Bad Mister

Could be a MIDI Port configuration thing... the MOXF via USB has 5 MIDI Ports, I'm thinking that some how you have misrouted a Port. For example, PORT 1 is the Port you should for dealing with for MOXF music content (note-ons, controllers, tempo). Port 2 should never be used for anything but Remote Control. Merging or misrouting the Ports could wreck havoc with all manner of things.

Double check that you have not selected all of the MOXF Ports... common mistake is to make every port active and/or available (usually in hopes that one will work) but if you merge Port 2 with Port 1 nothing good can happen.

Posted : 23/08/2017 2:33 am
Topic starter

Hi Phil - thanks very much for the helpful response; I dug around a bit and determined that the Ableton Live midi configuration was active for MOXF Ports 2, 3 and 4. I deactivated those and all is fine again. I really appreciate your great advice and counsel.

Best, David

Posted : 24/08/2017 1:44 am
Bad Mister

Hi David,
I'm glad that helped... If you can (and if it is no trouble) it would be great if you could post a screenshot of your MIDI Port Setup page for Ableton Live! Just to help other MOXF owners who may run into the same situation. We receive questions about how to setup MIDI and Audio in the various DAWs, and as I did in the answer to you, I hinted at the most common cause, not having Ableton Live! I couldn't tell exactly you where to look to fix it.

Thanks!

Posted : 24/08/2017 4:50 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us