Notifications
Clear all

Remote Editor set up

12 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi

I'm trying to use the Remote Editor along with my MOXF6. As per the instructions in the manuals, I've installed the yamaha steinberg USB Driver,the MOXF Editor and the Remote Tools program.

When I open the Remote Editor, under "Setup", my DAW (Cubase 6) doesn't show up. The only option is "Other".
After installing Remote tools, I opened Cubase and quit it (as instructed in the manual). But still, it doesn't detect my DAW.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Posted : 24/08/2017 7:57 am
Bad Mister

We have guides here on the site... what type of computer are you running?

Posted : 24/08/2017 9:27 am
Topic starter

I'm running a desktop PC - Windows 10

Posted : 24/08/2017 11:02 am
Bad Mister

Okay, but what VSTi are you trying to setup a Remote setup for?

The Remote Editor:

MOXF6/MOXF8 Remote Editor is a convenient tool which lets you edit/create Control Templates for the
MOXF6/MOXF8 Music Synthesizer. These Control Templates let you assign the appropriate functions for your
favorite VSTi to the Knobs on the MOXF6/MOXF8. While the MOXF6/MOXF8 handles up to 50 Control
Templates (in a single Bank), the MOXF6/MOXF8 Remote Editor can be used to create and organize multiple
Bank files, each of which contain 50 Control Templates. Data of a single Bank containing 50 Control
Templates created on the MOXF6/MOXF8 Remote Editor can be transferred from the computer to the
MOXF6/MOXF8 and saved to the computer as a single Bank file (.X6R).

We are not clear on what you are asking about how to run this Remote Editor.

Posted : 24/08/2017 4:35 pm
Topic starter

Hi, sorry for the delay in responding, appreciate the help.

Well, I just recently bought the keyboard and I'm trying to set it up for integration with Cubase 6, which is the DAW that I'm using. So, actually at this stage, I'm not necessarily looking to control one particular VST(although in the future, I would be exploring all that).

So, my original question itself is probably not the right question I needed to ask. I read that for Cubase integration, all I needed to do was to install the Steinberg USB Driver(done) and the Remote tools program(also done), with the MOXF6/MOXF8 extension(I'm not sure about this extension though). And it says "The settings will be completed by installing MOXF6/MOXF8 Remote Tools." I did that, but I see no sign of that when I open Cubase.

And one of the signs that it was done successfully was probably that when I open the Remote Editor, it would recognize my DAW and that I'd be able to select it from a dropdown menu inside the 'Setup' option of Remote Editor (Or so I thought)(And that's what I read too). But that's not happening.

And also, in Cubase, inside 'Remote Devices', when I try to add 'Yamaha MOXF6/MOXF8' as a device from the list, it says "Device failed to open".

So, that's my problem.

Posted : 09/09/2017 1:19 pm
Topic starter

Anybody?

Posted : 20/09/2017 3:27 pm
Bad Mister

It’s all in the details. With computers and software often it is described as “all you need to do is... “ sometimes, if you actually do all the steps, it actually just works... sometimes this is not the case.

You have to have the correct driver installed.
You need to also install the Remote Tools.
If you successfully do so, you can then make the necessary settings that will configure your system.

If the Extensions were installed the Remote Devices would have automatically selected the MOXF6/MOXF8-2 (PORT 2) for MIDI Input and Output.

"MOXF6/MOXF8 Remote Tools consists of two software components: MOXF6/MOXF8 Remote Editor and MOXF6/ MOXF8 Extension. MOXF6/MOXF8 Remote Editor is software which lets you edit/create Control Templates for the MOXF6/MOXF8 Music Synthesizer. MOXF6/MOXF8 Extension is software component that enables you to use the MOXF6/MOXF8 along with Cubase series. The MOXF6/MOXF8 Remote Tools Installer installs these two software components."

Now I will need to check if it is Cubase series 6 issue.

Posted : 29/09/2017 3:40 am

I have the same problem with the remote editor (only option is "other"). I'm using Cubase 9, if that's relevant, and also a Windows10 laptop.

Posted : 08/10/2017 7:16 pm
Bad Mister

David wrote:

I have the same problem with the remote editor (only option is "other"). I'm using Cubase 9, if that's relevant, and also a Windows10 laptop.

David, I’m not sure how you have the same problem. What soft Synth (plugin) are you trying to setup to Edit remotely?
What option offers only “Other”? Can you be specific.

Just FYI: the Remote Editor is a stand-alone application that can be used to configure setups to control your favorite plugin synths...

MOXF6/MOXF8 Remote Editor is a convenient tool which lets you edit/create Control Templates for the MOXF6/MOXF8 Music Synthesizer. These Control Templates let you assign the appropriate functions for your favorite VSTi to the Knobs on the MOXF6/MOXF8.

While the MOXF6/MOXF8 handles up to 50 Control Templates (in a single Bank), the MOXF6/MOXF8 Remote Editor can be used to create and organize multiple Bank files, each of which contain 50 Control Templates. Data of a single Bank containing 50 Control Templates created on the MOXF6/MOXF8 Remote Editor can be transferred from the computer to the MOXF6/MOXF8 and saved to the computer as a single Bank file (.X6R).

Posted : 08/10/2017 7:26 pm

Hi Bad Mister.

I'm talking about page 4 of the manual, step number 3. Everything up until that point work as described in the manual. But on step 3, on the setup menu, on the dropdown for "DAW Select" the only option is "Other". No other DAWs are there. That sounds to me to be the same as the first problem that Denvin posted. I have followed the instructions to the letter.

I do *not*, however, share the second problem that he posted: "And also, in Cubase, inside 'Remote Devices', when I try to add 'Yamaha MOXF6/MOXF8' as a device from the list, it says "Device failed to open"." In fact, everything else with the MOXF PC integration works great (Cubase control using DAW remote control, and the MOXF VST editor).

I understand that the Remote Editor is a stand-alone application, yes. I could tell you a list of softsynths that I'd like to configure but it'd be long. Let's just take prologue as an example ... it's not clear to me, though, that that's relevant to the problem as I'm failing quite early on in the procedure?

If you could shed any light on it that'd be great.

David.

Posted : 08/10/2017 8:44 pm
Bad Mister

Verify your installation of the version of Cubase. The Remote Editor scans your computer for properly installed versions of the compatible DAWs and your VST Plugins folder. If you are not having issues with the installation of Cubase, in other words, Cubase runs normally otherwise; then you may want to make sure your VST Plugins are found by Cubase.

If they are and all appears normal from that end, you should contact Steinberg via your MySteinberg Account and see if they can help you locate the proper folders (the ones that the Remote Editor is not able to locate during its scan). You may need to refresh or rescan your Plugins... Did you customize the installation? I’ve never had an Editor not find the DAWs or VSTs so I’ll have to defer to their info on the subject... let us know.

Posted : 08/10/2017 10:42 pm

OK, will do! Thanks,

David.

Posted : 09/10/2017 5:54 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us