Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

How can I do a MOXF FULL DUMP to a Sysex file?

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Dears,

Someone knows how make Moxf sends a full bulk data?

I just found into manual how to bulk the selected voice, selected performance or selected mixing. However I need make a full dump using Midi-OX for instance. Could be another sysex software, I dont care..

So, can Moxf send full dump?

regards

Posted : 26/03/2018 2:29 pm
Bad Mister

There is no “full” bulk dump... the days of a product dumping all of its memory via a MIDI bulk ended some years ago... the data amount is getting too large to be practical, besides there is no protocol to bulk dump the Song and Pattern data.

By not defining “full” (and repeating it multiple times) we assume you mean “everything”. So simply, no... no way to do a “full dump”.

You can SAVE all MOXF data in an ALL data file (.X6A) to a connected USB stick. Largest file sizes can be larger than 1GB... if you include Audio data (Waveforms and Samples).
Someone do the math (life’s too short) MIDI bulk dumps transfer about 1MB in just under 8 minutes (I know because it took 7 min 58 sec... to bulk dump a Motif Rack 15-16 years ago)
Data sizes today, yikes... a GB at the speed of MIDI dumps... well, you do the math... about a thousand times that amount of time. So, no, that’s not gonna happen in any update.

If by “full” you meant only the USER VOICES.. since custom Waveforms and Samples might be involved... yikes. There is no protocol (that I know of) that bulks the Sequencer’s Songs and Patterns... (they can be backed up .mid for the track data).

If you mean just the 3 User Banks and Drum Banks, without the audio samples, those can be captured by the MOXF6/MOXF8 Editor Standalone/VST ... Individually, by Bank, or by selection

What is your application?
What are you attempting to do?
USB stick is the most efficient and elegant way to back up your data.
Selective data can be backed up to computer using the Editor, the John Melas Tools, Cubase SoundBrowser, etc.

Posted : 27/03/2018 12:20 pm
Topic starter

Hi Bad Mister,

In fact I was trying to do a full bulk dump is a working arround to save the current configuration of a friend´s Moxf. his moxf have USB Host and USB Device ports both dameged We all tried to create a clone connecting 2 moxfs using Midi cables trying copy from the first dameged one to other.

With usb ports dameged became imposible saving the data using usb drives ou any software like moxf vst editor or melas.

I´m not sure if is posible using Melas or Moxf VST connecting by standard MIDI ports. But I guess it is posible, I wll try anyway.

thanks.

Posted : 27/03/2018 2:39 pm
Bad Mister

Get the USB ports fixed. Just tell the technician that you need the data that’s internal... they can certainly replace the ports without purging your memory... and they can test them by saving your data before resetting the instrument.

You don’t mention anything about Flash... just remove the Flash boards (and keep them with the files you used to install them) so there is no need to backup your Flash via a bulk. You already have the File that installed the data.

If there are Sequences you can connect the 5-pin MIDI Outs and just transfer the MIDI data, a file for each Song, and a file for each Pattern Section.

So this leaves the USER data... unless you have newly created User Voices and/or Performances and/or Master Programs that you have not yet backed up to an ALL data file... you will need to do each program separately.

If you have a file, no need to bulk dump. It’s not clear what data is at risk, if any. Hate to see you do all that work unnecessarily.

Posted : 27/03/2018 3:08 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us