Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

How can I use my phantom powered condenser mic to record voice and keyboard sounds simultaneously?

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hello. I have a Neumann TLM103 condenser mic, which requires phantom power. I also have Cubase Elements 10.5 installed, and a MOXF8.
I want to record both voice and keyboard into Cubase, but I don't want the keyboard to come in as a virtual sound, I want it to come in as "audio" so I can use all the cool sounds the MOXF8 comes with. How can I do this using the Neumann?

Thank you,
April

Posted : 27/01/2020 6:54 pm
Bad Mister

Hello. I have a Neumann TLM103 condenser mic, which requires phantom power. I also have Cubase Elements 10.5 installed, and a MOXF8.
I want to record both voice and keyboard into Cubase, but I don't want the keyboard to come in as a virtual sound, I want it to come in as "audio" so I can use all the cool sounds the MOXF8 comes with. How can I do this using the Neumann?

Thank you,
April

Hi April,
Thanks for the question.

As you have noted, the Neumann TLM103 requires phantom power, so you will need one more piece of gear. The MOXF can act as an audio interface for its own sounds and anything plugged into the A/D Input on the back panel. It does not provide the +48V phantom power that your microphone requires. The MOXF A/D Input can receive signals from dynamic microphones (dynamic mics use a permanent magnet system, condenser mics require an electrostatic charge to work, thus the external power source).

Here are some things you can consider:
You can solve the phantom power issue by employing a mixer, or standalone phantom power supply box. You would plug the mic into one of these and then route the Output to the MOXF A/D Input.

You can use the MOXF as a dual Stereo interface... your vocals would be recorded via USB1/2, while you could simultaneously record the MOXF Synth Parts via USB3/4. The MOXF has a dual Stereo audio output via USB, allowing you to play and sing simultaneously, to separate discreet tracks. Or setup where you build up multiple tracks, Track by track and then overdub vocals, etc., etc. all workflows are available to you.

Alternatives include purchasing a separate audio interface which supplies phantom power and can accommodate the analog audio outputs of the MOXF. If you purchase one with multiple inputs, you could use it as your audio interface. It depends on which direction and how much you want to invest.

Small format mixers and phantom power boxes are the least expensive way to solve this...
A four in audio interface, while a bigger investment, may also include hardware effect processing and other advantages.

Hope that helps.

Posted : 27/01/2020 7:41 pm
Topic starter

Hi. Thank you for your response. I really appreciate it! I do have a Focusrite 2i4 audio interface that supplies phantom power that I have been using. Do you know if this will accomodate the analogue audio outputs of the MOXf8? It has 2 xlr inputs on the front, and 2 midi ports on the back, one input and one output, There are also line outputs, balanced and unbalanced.

I am super new to all of this, so this is all confusing the heck out of me. LOL. I have zero idea what balanced and unbalanced even means.

If the Focusrite is usable, what would the connections look like? I have a few XLR cables and 1 midi cable.

Thanks in advance!

Posted : 27/01/2020 7:50 pm
Bad Mister

You can connect the condenser mic to the Focusrite and use it to record your vocals. When you switch On the +48V power make sure you are setting up to use the condenser mic.

Be sure to disable the phantom power when connecting anything else to it.

You cannot connect both the MOXF and your condenser mic to it (the Focusrite) at the same time.
Without knowing your desired workflow it is impossible to recommend a path, but to give you some idea...

Typically, recording sessions play out by recording the music tracks first, then via overdubs things like vocals are added.
This means you could connect and use the Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver to record your MOXF to your DAW.
Then, later, when you are ready to add your vocals (or whatever you plan to add via condenser mic) you can switch Drivers so that you can use the Focusrite as the interface.

As long as you remain consistent on the Sample Rate for the Project, you can switch audio drivers.

Alternate recording setups require a setup where you can both play and sing simultaneously. This requires connecting both devices and configuring them so you can record and monitor both your mic input and your keyboard’s input simultaneously.

Whether or not you can pull most of this off will depend on the logistics of your studio situation, the type of computer (Windows or Mac) you are using, etc., etc.

Btw — the MOXF outputs are unbalanced. They use standard Tip-Sleeve (TS) cables (guitar cable)
Your condenser mic will use a three prong XLR cable.

Posted : 29/01/2020 5:43 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us