Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

How to assign one of the assinable functions to make the sound go 2 octaves higher while pressing it?

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 Eden
Topic starter

Hi, I actually have a MOX8 keyboard(not the new MOXF one, but I supposed it's almost the same functions).
My question is like that:
I composed a solo in which sometimes there's a sudden jump of two octaves(I'm imitating the way guitar players use pinch harmonics which causes the notes to jump in two octaves higher and causing cool weird sound), now it's very hard to jump so fast into this note so I thought about and idea:
Maybe I can assign one of the assignale functions buttons in the side to make the sound jump 2 octaves higher and the second one to make a rotating pitch like when you use the pitch bend wheel, but how do I do that?
Does anybody have any idea how to do such a thing?
Thanks very much for helpers!

Posted : 17/05/2020 4:17 pm
Bad Mister

Thanks for the question. Yes, the difference between the MOX and MOXF is indeed the letter “F” (which stands for the Flash Memory Expansion).

You can, indeed, program one of the Assignable Function buttons to make the pitch jump up 2 octaves — however, I’m not at all sure this will give you the pinched harmonic squealies you are looking for... but we can pass on some additional things to try.

In the Control Set
Press [EDIT]
Press [F4] CTL SET
Setup one of the Control Sets
_Element Switches (12345678)
_Source = AF1 or AF 2 whichever you wish to use
_Destination = Coarse
_Depth = +32 is actually two octaves.

This will cause the pitch to jump two octaves when the [AF] is pressed.
You’ll want to set the AF switch to “Momentary”.

Alternatives
In the Wave Rom is a Guitar Waveform named “Feedback”
I guess you’d consider it a Guitar distortion sound effect, because each note is a pinched harmonic...different notes feedback at different pitches (harmonics) related to the note played — so it is best used behind a normally pitched main Guitar sound. By putting this as an Element in your Guitar sound you could fade it in or switch to it where/when appropriate.

Call up the Voice “Crunchy Guitar” — I believe this Feedback Element is used in that Voice... there it is used with significant “KeyOn Delay” ... the Element applying the Feedback starts late and slowly Fades in when you hold a note. You may wish to switch to it in a different fashion.

In the “Crunchy Guitar” Voice you only hear the Feedback Element if you hold down a note and wait. Because pinched harmonics can be different pitches depending on where on the string you pick/touch the string, there is a randomness to it, that is kind of cool.

At any rate find that “Feedback“ Guitar Waveform (it’s more of the squealing sound you are probably looking for)... anyway hope that helps get you started.

Posted : 17/05/2020 9:10 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us