Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

How to copy 2 or more performances into Mixing mode without missing arpeggios in the second part/performance

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Game
Topic starter

Hi Bad Mister and other musicians
Is it possible to copy 2 performances into Song-Mixing without missing arpeggios in the second performance?

I want to use Song-Mixing mode for switching seamlessly between 2 performances. And I tried to do it as followed:
2 performances:
- Performance1: drums (arps), bass (arps), string (no arp), piano (no arp). Midi receive channel = 1 for this part1-4
- Performance2: drums, bass, string, guitar (drums, bass, string = same voices and arps in Performance1). Midi receive channel = 5 for part5-8

Copy Performance1 into SONG/MIXING Part1-4 is ok. The voices and arps in mixing mode are the same as I have in the performance mode.
Copy Performance2 into SONG/MIXING Part5-8:
- Arps on drums work correctly. But I think it sounds a little different
- Arps on bass are missing
- String and Guitar (without arps) are ok.
(switching between the parts (part1-4 and part5-8) is seamlessly. And I like that)

I also tried to copy 2 another performances to the next song-mixing: (Perf_Balad1 and Perf_Rock2: different voices, arps etc.) and I got the same issue with the second performance.
I checked on the forum and tried to follow some tips, but no help. (like enable VoicewithArp etc.)

Regards,
Heo

Posted : 06/05/2019 12:56 pm
Bad Mister

As you know, in the MOXF Voice and Performance Mode are the modes where you address the MOXF with a single MIDI Channel. This is obvious for Voice Mode as each Voice is typically a single instrument in most cases.... A Performance is defined as a combination of as many as four Voices. Each Voice is placed in an entity called a Part. Each Part references a Voice in Voice Mode, all are triggered by the Keyboard simultaneously - those assigned an Arp Phrase will have the direct trigger notes blocked and the result will be an assigned Arp Phrase. Those with no Arp assigned will respond normally. Each of the four Parts can be set to be triggered by an Arp (there are four Arpeggiators in the MOXF) or it can be set to play normally in response to the Keyboard Input.

When you move (COPY) the four Parts of a Performance to a Song/Pattern MIXING mode program, the Parts will be assigned the MIDI Channel of the lowest Part occupied... that is, if you target Parts 1-4 to play these Parts as it was triggered back in Performance Mode they are all set to Channel 1. If you COPY a Performance and target Parts 5-8, they are all set to MIDI Channel 5. This much you report is fine.

The one thing you cannot do in MIXING mode is Record what you are doing. The setup with two or more Performances copied to a Mixing is okay for real-time play (only). You are still only transmitting from one MIDI Channel with the Keyboard.

Okay, so if you have a Performance occupying Parts 1-4, and a second Performance copied into Parts 5-8...
Important things to remember
_remember only four Arpeggio Part Switches can be active at one time. If you attempt to turn On a fifth Part Arp Sw, it simply will not activate. You must deactivate one of the current four Switches before turning an Arp Switch On. Only 4 can be On simultaneously.
_If a Part’s Arp is set to “Hold”, it will continue to play unattended. This means when you switch from transmitting on Ch1 and start transmitting on Ch5, the Arp Parts set to Hold will continue to run.

It is not clear from your description exactly what you are trying to do... it appears you have two drummers, two bass players... are they to be playing simultaneously or is one set supposed to replace the other... in other words, are you attempting to create the illusion of two drummer, two bass players or is it supposed to sound like the same “band”?

Posted : 06/05/2019 1:54 pm
 Game
Topic starter

Hi Bad Mister,
- I don't do recording. I just want to setup 2 or more Performances to Mixing mode for real-time play.
- In my performances are there maximum 3 arps: 1 on drum, 1 on bass and maybe 1 on string/organ
- Yes, It's supposed to sound like the same “band”.
The reason I copy the performances into Mixing mode is that I can switch the "performances" without interruption: When I press Part1 on Mixing mode (part1-4), I can "solo" with the piano voice. And drum, bass and string on the left hand.
And when I need the guitar voice, I press Part5 (part5-8). So drum, bass and string will be the same on the left hand.

How can I do that ?

(I play piano in a real band. I like my MOXF8 because of the piano voices and the GHS keyboard. That's why I bought it instead of buying a Yamaha PRS-S97x. This is the first time I own an advanced keyboard and now I try to setup a One Man Band when I want to play alone at home. So sorry for my dumb questions and my bad English 🙂

Posted : 06/05/2019 4:20 pm
 Dick

Our synth players do exactly what you are describing, only they do it all in Performance mode. You can change your voices to do what you describe--you get 4 voices per performance, and if you do the keyboard splits, you get more than that really.

They have their performances listed in Favorites, and the list just stays up on the screen. They just arrow down and hit enter--very fast! I hear many voices happening when they play, pianos over strings, bass, and trance-like stuff--very powerful!

Posted : 20/05/2019 8:40 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us