Notifications
Clear all

How to raise the volume for voices that by default or maxed at a low level

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

HI,
I have a MOXF6, I find that a lot of the voices under specific categories are coming in at a very low volume compared to the voices at the beginning of the category list. Is there a way to go into the utilities of voices that are too low and turn it up for the default volume. I've looked around the on the keyboard, but have not found away to turn up voices that level by default are very low. This is especially the case for categories items in Brass and Bass.

Posted : 04/02/2022 6:03 pm
Bad Mister

HI,
I have a MOXF6, I find that a lot of the voices under specific categories are coming in at a very low volume compared to the voices at the beginning of the category list. Is there a way to go into the utilities of voices that are too low and turn it up for the default volume. I've looked around the on the keyboard, but have not found away to turn up voices that level by default are very low. This is especially the case for categories items in Brass and Bass.

Please see the following tutorial article. It is on a related subject and gets into the difference between VOLUME (how loud something is) and GAIN (the work the sound can do).

VOLUME is a human perception and requires a speaker and a human ear
GAIN on the other hand is related but requires no speaker and no human - and is usually associated with documenting the audio to a recorded media.

The article also shows you where the individual Voice output level is and where the Mixing console slider is -- both have influence over the output level of the sound in question.
Same as if you were in a band -- each instrumentalist has a volume control on their particular instrument and there is a channel on the band's mixer that is also responsible for the overall output as perceived by the audience. VOICE Volume versus PART VOLUME

Link -- MOXF: Getting Good Record Levels

Posted : 04/02/2022 7:28 pm
Eminent Member

If I might piggyback on this thread cause it relates to something I've been trying to get some clarity on.

Since the Output Level of Drum Voices cannot be adjusted is there any correlation or reference point between the default snare drum at 100 in Hyper Standard vs Power Standard 1?

I realize it's one of those, "Does it matter? Whatever sounds good....." BUT for me the bass and drums act as a sort of volume barometer throughout my Song repertoire. I have no VU meter when Mixing so I'm always just using my ears as to "is this a good volume for this Song"? Problem is, at the gig I'm constantly having to adjust the Main Volume because despite my efforts at home, I'm still taken by surprise by large variances Song to Song.

Any luck I've had at keeping my overall show at a reasonable/relative volume, song to song, is maybe because I'm basing the initial volume levels on the volume of the DRUMS. They MUST (?) have been programmed to some common audible reference point.

Any thoughts or advise? Should I just get a cheap little VU meter and use that at home? Would that meter give me ANY usable baseline when I move to another location?

Posted : 07/02/2022 2:57 pm
Bad Mister

Since the Output Level of Drum Voices cannot be adjusted is there any correlation or reference point between the default snare drum at 100 in Hyper Standard vs Power Standard 1?

Drum Kit Voices actually can be adjusted... you are probably referring to the fact that the shortcut "VCE ED" function found in MIXING for Normal Voices does not include the Drum Kit Voices. (VCE ED = Voice Edit, available only to Normal Voices)

The reason you cannot just drop into edit on a Drum Kit Voice is purely logistical. A Normal Voice has a maximum of 8 Elements (Waveforms) while a Drum Kit Voice has a maximum of 73 Elements (Waveforms)... We call it a Kit from the early 20th century term "Trap Kit" - short for "contraption" that is what musicians would call it because it is an assembly of otherwise individual instruments. Before somebody welded a tom mount on top of a bass drum and setup a snare on a separate stand - and fashioned some kind of kick pedal (that name is not by accident, either) these were all separate instruments. We think of a Drum Kit as one musician but each item in the Kit is really a separate instrument - each with its own Volume, Pan position, send to the Effects, its own Filter, etc. etc.

There simply is not enough room (buffer size) to house all 73 Drum Kit Elements while keeping the entire MIXING available.

Therefore, you can edit the Drum Kit Voices - but you must temporarily (Store and) EXIT your SONG MIXING (or PATTERN MIXING) in order to return to VOICE mode. Then call up the Kit you wish to Edit - raise of lower the Volumes of the Kit or of individual Drum instruments within that Kit (Drum Key) as you desire. Then STORE that to the USER DRUM Bank and finally replace the Kit in your SONG/PATTERN MIXING with this newly edited Drum Kit Volumes.

Hope that helps.

I realize it's one of those, "Does it matter? Whatever sounds good....." BUT for me the bass and drums act as a sort of volume barometer throughout my Song repertoire. I have no VU meter when Mixing so I'm always just using my ears as to "is this a good volume for this Song"? Problem is, at the gig I'm constantly having to adjust the Main Volume because despite my efforts at home, I'm still taken by surprise by large variances Song to Song.

I definitely hear you on this one... Suggestion - even if you are not going to be using it to record, you may want to open that free copy of Cubase you got when you purchased the MOXF - you can certainly use it as a metering reference... seeing your overall mixes impact on the Stereo bus will help you even out your levels going from one sequence to the next (and you don't need to purchase anything).

Posted : 07/02/2022 3:46 pm
Eminent Member

OK. Thanks for those tips. I may even be lured into running through Cubase. There are a couple other common DAW features I have been thinking about availing myself of now and again.

(So the DRUM KITS are more like in the old days of the MO when one had to jump out of Song Mix, go to the Voice, tweak it, save it as a USER VOICE and THEN go back to your Song Mix and reassign the Voice. And pretty much have to do the same thing if you didn't like how it sat in the Mix. Luckily, I didn't really start arranging Song sequences till later!)

Is it possible to edit a Normal Voice merely to shift the octave range? When I do the PC trick it only works (and becomes worth the effort) if the outgoing AND incoming Voices happen to be in the same range (or desired range) AND in the right location on the keyboard.

Anyway, I spent a good deal of time in Voice Edit trying to slide the range of a Voice so I could save it as a USER. But there seemed to be no way to do so.

Posted : 07/02/2022 6:41 pm
Bad Mister

@Steve
Even if you are not going to use Cubase, you can still use the Yamaha MOXF6/MOXF8 Editor Standalone/VST It allows you to edit the Drum Kit without leaving the MIXING setup... (Computers have tons of RAM so its not a problem to get right at them while in the MIXING mode) You can use the Editor alone or with Cubase as a VST - definitely worth the effort to explore it.

I'm not clear on your shifting range question - you should probably start your own thread - as this would be far afield from the original topic of VOLUME.
Please supply more details of what you are trying to accomplish - we'd be happy to try to help

Link --Official Yamaha MOXF Download Page

Posted : 07/02/2022 11:02 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us