Notifications
Clear all

TONE (pitch + or -) on Part won't retain the setting

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I've dealt with this before but darn if don't remember the solution. Anyway.....

When I set the TONE (to change the key/pitch) of the Part, when I recue to the top, it goes away. Happens on all channels.

Is there a Utility setting that got bumped or maybe a stray EXC or other MIDI command secretly fighting me?

Posted : 05/02/2022 9:08 pm
Antony
Estimable Member

If comparable to MODX, any Pitch Shift parameters you want to make permanent (i.e. Store them) need to to be made in the Performance/Part Edit.

There are two ways to do this on MODX... Note Shift (effectively changes the note value of the key, aka Key Transpose, this is done at the Part Level), and Tune Coarse & Fine (This is done at the Oscillator/Element Level... changes the actual Pitch of the oscillator).

There are "Global" methods for transposing (on the fly)... either with the Top Panel Button Octave +/-,
the Utility Settings, or on the fly Pitch Offsets/Detunes. These are "live performance" or "live setup" options, not saved/stored with the Performance. Example... you need to tune/transpose to your Vocalists Range.

Regards the MOXF... please specify the method you are using to Change Pitch.

Posted : 05/02/2022 11:12 pm
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Solved. Kind of.

What happened is the Voice assignment for the errant Part was a XXX-XXX-XXX event. So when I re-cued it automatically reset to null.

So my question expands slightly AND a new question presents itself.

Q 1: Is there a CC for transposing/octave shifting? I've come up against this when attempting to use PC events in the sequence. I have a few Songs that a Split won't work and I just can't physically (or gracefully) hit another Part button on the fly playing "live", so I have the Voice change instantly "under my fingers" and then back again 8 bars later.

This method works great on a couple tunes. But other times I've tried to program something similar the Tone shift/Octave shift issue comes up. If I need that other Voice to ALSO be an octave or two up or down, I'm stuck.

Q 2: A possible solution would SEEM to be to have the PC point to a USER Voice that I've tweaked to shift the octave. But I have yet to figure out HOW to do that. Can an Octave shift or Tone shift be programmed into a User Voice?

Posted : 07/02/2022 1:59 pm
Bad Mister

Q 1: Is there a CC for transposing/octave shifting?

No.

Q 2: A possible solution would SEEM to be to have the PC point to a USER Voice that I've tweaked to shift the octave. But I have yet to figure out HOW to do that. Can an Octave shift or Tone shift be programmed into a User Voice?

Now you are on the right track. The thing about programming your own VOICE is that you can tune it up an octave, down an octave, it can even be offset by whatever interval you require... NAME and STORE it to one of the 384 User Voice locations... Then use that newly edited USER VOICE in your MIXING setup for sequencing.

Posted : 07/02/2022 2:19 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us