Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

How versatile is the USB audio/MIDI connection between a MOXF and connected iPad?

13 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
10.4 K Views
Trusted Member
Topic starter

How versatile is the USB audio/MIDI connection between a MOXF and connected iPad?

Am I correct in this: The MOXF8 with a single USB cable connected to an iPad (via a USB to lightening adapter or camera connection kit adapter) can transfer and receive MIDI and transfer and receive 2 channel audio in both directions at the same time? In other words, if I play a MIDI track on an iPad music app via MIDI transferred from the MOXF, can the audio created on this iPad MIDI track be sent back out to the MOXF without changing any further settings on either unit so that I can hear the audio played via MIDI at the same time as I am sending the MIDI messages to the iPad (assuming the app is qualified to do so, such as Cubasis)? And if so, how is the audio from the iPad coming into the MOXF? Through the A/D channels?

Next related question: In the same routing as above, can audio out from the MOXF be recorded in an iPad music app track and MIDI out from another track on the iPad app play a voice on the MOXF at the same time?

If I am correct in my understanding, this is really a great feature.

Thanks in advance for your insight.

Posted : 24/05/2015 9:36 pm
Bad Mister

The MOXF8 with a single USB cable connected to an iPad (via a USB to lightening adapter or camera connection kit adapter) can transfer and receive MIDI and transfer and receive 2 channel audio in both directions at the same time?

You need the Camera Connection Kit adapter in order to get audio into and out of an iPad. A basic USB to Lightning adapter will not work. It must be the Camera Connection Kit.

if I play a MIDI track on an iPad music app via MIDI transferred from the MOXF, can the audio created on this iPad MIDI track be sent back out to the MOXF without changing any further settings on either unit so that I can hear the audio played via MIDI at the same time as I am sending the MIDI messages to the iPad (assuming the app is qualified to do so, such as Cubasis)?

Not sure I follow what you wrote. If you play a MIDI track on an iPad, it will trigger the MOXF... the MOXF creates the audio (perhaps this is what you meant). MIDI is not audio, no one has ever heard MIDI. The MIDI triggers the MOXF and the MOXF responds by outputting audio!

If you are using Cubasis, then it will work like the iPad was a "proper" computer... dumb, but able to record MIDI and send it back to the MOXF to generate audio. If you create an audio track you will be able to record and playback audio as you would expect.

this is really a great feature.

Yeah, it is kind of cool! 🙂

how is the audio from the iPad coming into the MOXF? Through the A/D channels?

Audio comes into the MOXF via the USB cable and is routed directly to the main L/R output of the MOXF where you can monitor it through your monitor speakers. You do not use the A/D Input... You could plug a microphone or another keyboard into the A/D Inputs and route its audio to the iPad (same as you could to a proper computer).

Posted : 24/05/2015 11:51 pm
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Thank you Bad Mister. My basic question is will the USB connection transmit MIDI and audio at the same time or do you have to select one or the other? Thanks again for your advice.

Posted : 25/05/2015 5:31 am
Bad Mister

My basic question is will the USB connection transmit MIDI and audio at the same time or do you have to select one or the other?

Sorry about this 'qualified' answer, but the MOXF is definitely capable of transmitting both MIDI and Audio simultaneously via USB when using its own driver (Yamaha Steinberg USB driver). However, when you connect to an iPad, for example, you are going to be using an Apple driver. How that driver is implemented in your iPad will greatly depend on the app being used and its capabilities. Whether the app can handle both at the same time will depend on the particular app... The potential is definitely there.

For specific questions concerning Cubasis visit
steinberg.net/cubasisforum

Posted : 26/05/2015 10:51 am
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Thank you again Bad Mister for your follow up, confirmation and clarification. To me this is a defining feature because it allows music to be played in the iPad via MIDI with resulting audio simultaneously sent digitally out from the iPad through the camera connection kit, instead of diminished analogue audio sent out through the headphone jack. Previously I could send MIDI in and out of the iPad via USB, but I had to either hear the music MIDI was triggering through the iPad headphone jack as played, or record the audio in the iPad and play it out digitally through the camera connection kit into a mixer at a later time.

The only other units I know of that can send/receive MIDI and digital audio at the same time through the camera connection kit are the Apogee Duet and Quartet, but they are not keyboards, sequencers, arpeggiators, workstations. They have their place, but to be able to connect a keyboard directly to an iPad without another interface for both MIDI and digital audio simultaneously is fantastic, not to mention cost effective. In my view some engineer at Yamaha earned his/her bonus.

Posted : 26/05/2015 11:33 pm
Trusted Member
Topic starter

A follow-up question. I have a CP4 Stage Piano. If I buy the MOXF, will I be able to play the CP4, send MIDI out from the CP4 (using a MIDI cable) and through the MOXF out into an iPad using the USB cable between the MOXF and iPad (in other words playing notes on the iPad that originated as MIDI from the CP4)? And if so, can I reverse the process and send MIDI out from the iPad, through the MOXF and into the CP4 and play notes in the CP4 that originated from the iPad?

Thanks in advance. This would be a doubly cool feature.

Posted : 02/06/2015 6:05 pm
Bad Mister

I have a CP4 Stage Piano. If I buy the MOXF, will I be able to play the CP4, send MIDI out from the CP4 (using a MIDI cable) and through the MOXF out into an iPad using the USB cable between the MOXF and iPad (in other words playing notes on the iPad that originated as MIDI from the CP4)? And if so, can I reverse the process and send MIDI out from the iPad, through the MOXF and into the CP4 and play notes in the CP4 that originated from the iPad?

Yes, exactly. The MOXF acts as its own MIDI and audio interface. It also can act as a MIDI and audio interface for an external device connected to the MOXF.

MIDI: You will see multiple MIDI In/Out Ports, named "Yamaha MOXF6/MOXF8" Ports are numbered 1-5. Port 1 is used by the MOXF itself. Port 3 is used by the device connected to the 5-pin MIDI jacks on the back panel of your MOXF. You would work with Local Control set to Off on both the CP4 Stage and MOXF and "thru" the data through the application. This way the targeted device will sound... And you can play on either set of keys, as you desire.

Audio: connect the main Left/Right outputs (unbalanced) to the A/D Input on the back panel of your MOXF. Audio from your external source will be routed to your iPad app. You can process that signal as you would any incoming signal to your MOXF.
(As far as I know, the iPad may be limited to a signal stereo input; so you will need to operate using "2Ch" mode on your MOXF.) This means you cannot record discreetly to two separate stereo tracks, simultaneously, as you would with a full computer... Not really a big deal but should be stated).

Hope that helps.

Important Note: your MOXF must be updated to version 1.10 (or later)

Posted : 03/06/2015 12:30 pm
Trusted Member
Topic starter

This is really good news. I did not consider audio routing as well as MIDI. Adds frosting to the cake. Ready to take a slice. Thanks again Bad Mister.

Posted : 03/06/2015 5:49 pm

Bad Mister wrote:

My basic question is will the USB connection transmit MIDI and audio at the same time or do you have to select one or the other?

Sorry about this 'qualified' answer, but the MOXF is definitely capable of transmitting both MIDI and Audio simultaneously via USB when using its own driver (Yamaha Steinberg USB driver). However, when you connect to an iPad, for example, you are going to be using an Apple driver. How that driver is implemented in your iPad will greatly depend on the app being used and its capabilities. Whether the app can handle both at the same time will depend on the particular app... The potential is definitely there.

For specific questions concerning Cubasis visit
steinberg.net/cubasisforum

Will iPad App, OnSong works by transmitting both Audio and Midi to Moxf ? Thanks and Happy New Year 2016.

Posted : 31/12/2015 1:41 pm
Bad Mister

Please contact the App makers - never heard of this app and don't know it's capabilities, sorry.
http://onsongapp.com/support/

Posted : 31/12/2015 1:50 pm

Happy New Year. 2016, Bad Mister .

Ok , will do to check with them.

With regards to the Camera Connection Kit adapter , just to be sure, as I am having iPad Air 2, with Lightning connector,
I should use Apple 's Lightning to USB Camera Adapter .? Thanks again.

RIchard

Posted : 01/01/2016 5:13 am
Bad Mister

Happy New Year!

I should use Apple 's Lightning to USB Camera Adapter .?

That's the one! And then a standard USB cable (One comes with the MOXF).

Posted : 01/01/2016 2:47 pm

Right On, Bad Mister. Thanks, bought one and hooked up to my Moxf8 and it works well.

Many thanks. Cheers

Posted : 02/01/2016 10:36 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us