Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

In your opinion which is the best workflow with Moxf and Cubase?

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Luigi Maria
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Hi there, I've used to use the Vst Editor to save every option just like a virtual instrument BUT, with the time I faced some limitations:
If i want to add some new souds with new samples and waveform on the flash memory, I have to Bulk data every time to have VST editor updated with the current waveforms on the MOXF. This takes a lot of time.
ALSO, bigger limitation, when VST editor is on it takes the control of all the 4 audio ports of the moxf, so I can't record audio input on the same project in which I am using VST Editor (going into the VST connection window it's not possible to add the audio bus for the 1&2 audio port for the aux in). Usually I meet other musicians in my studio and we usually jam and record to work on new ideas. So I have a mixer in which they enter (bass, guitar, voice) and the mixer stereo output is connected to the aux in of the moxf. I have to choose, OR I have the comfort to recall the sounds of a project easily as a VIrtual Instrument with the VST Editor OR I record audio.
So my best solution, so far, is to use MOXF in DAW Mode, create some midi track in the project that have as output port the port 1 of the moxf and use the MOXF in song mode, so I can use 8 MIDI channel at the same time (8 because the insertion effects can be activated for 8 tracks at maximum at the same time) and I can create audio tracks to record what comes from the mixer.

What do you do do work with midi AND audio?

Posted : 26/08/2016 11:37 pm
Bad Mister

Hi Luigi,
Much of what you believe is simply not true. You will be happy to know. Let's take them one at a time.

1)

I've used to use the Vst Editor to save every option just like a virtual instrument BUT, with the time I faced some limitations:
If i want to add some new souds with new samples and waveform on the flash memory, I have to Bulk data every time to have VST editor updated with the current waveforms on the MOXF. This takes a lot of time.

The idea is to build a custom Waveform list for your Flash Board. The Flash Board should only contain just the data that you use. The internal MOXF Wave ROM is 3,977 Waveforms. They are listed in a specific order so all the Voices that use them "know" where to find the audio data. The Flash Board has room for an additional 2,048 Waveforms - they should be listed in a specific order so all the Voices that use them will "know" exactly where to find the audio data.

If you utilize your Flash Board like this, then when you save your sounds in the Cubase Sound Browser, you never have to worry if the Waveforms and Samples are loaded. All of you MOXF Voices, and Mixing setups can be documented in Cubase as VST Presets.

If you have more Waveforms and Samples than can fit on one Flash Board, get a second Flash Board. It is easy enough to have separate folders in Cubase's Sound Browser for each Flash Board... Far easier than loading and reinstalling data.

ALSO, bigger limitation, when VST editor is on it takes the control of all the 4 audio ports of the moxf, so I can't record audio input on the same project in which I am using VST Editor (going into the VST connection window it's not possible to add the audio bus for the 1&2 audio port for the aux in).

The A/D Input is routed to USB 1/2, the MOXF synth Parts are routed to USB 3/4. So you should be able to rev it'd the synthesizer separately from the A/D Input.

Make sure your USB I/O mode is to "2StereoRec" (Dual Stereo Record).

The A/D input is fixed to USB 1/2
The synth Parts default to USB 3/4

Posted : 27/08/2016 1:58 am
Luigi Maria
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Hello!
Always thanks for the quick answer.
Some time ago we spoke about this in this topic

https://yamahasynth.com/forum/four-audio-channels-from-moxf-with-vst-editor-and-cubase-8-ai

In which you said
"To be clear. You can record audio, without this VST routing..."

I am not in front of my computer right now, but I remember that I was able to use the four channels like you said unless I opened the Vst Editor.
From that moment on I was able just to ear aux in, but not to record it. Indeed, when I tried to create a 1&2 audio bus from the Vst connection window of Cubase, it said that it wasn't possible to add any bus (I don't remember the exact phrase, but was something about the fact that those channels weren't avaible anymore). As soon as I erased Vst Editor from the Vst Instrument list, I was able once again to use the 4 audio busses.

Posted : 27/08/2016 11:32 am
Bad Mister

But that does not change the fact that you can use the VST Editor and record stereo via USB 1/2 simultaneously, that is what it is designed to do. You simply have to create the appropriate settings and routings. The A/D Input can be independently routed via the VST CONNECTS > Inputs tab, while the a Synth Parts traverse the VST Editor. Here's how:

The synth Parts use USB 3/4 via the Editor's VSTi SETUP
_ _ Go to FILE > VSTi SETUP connect just 3 and 4.

The A/D Input uses USB 1/2 via the DEVICES > VST CONNECTIONS > INPUTS tabs
_ _ Set up a Stereo Input. Audio Device and Ports are going to be just USB 1/2

You need to setup the Synth Parts in the Editor VST, and setup the A/D Input Part as regular incoming audio.

The MOXF input remains 'virtual', you will see its stereo audio return in the VST Audio Lane...
while the A/D Input is immediately printed to a proper audio Track. After all, it's not being triggered by MIDI.

Hope that helps.

Posted : 27/08/2016 12:27 pm
Luigi Maria
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Thanks a lot Bad Mister.
I struggled so much to have this function that I've decided to use my horrible english to create a video tutorial for those who have the same problem.
THANKS THANKS THANKS THANKS
https://youtu.be/Sx2ydfTmugE

Anyway, this could be a good place to share workflow with other users.
Do you prefer to work track by track using the voice mode (i mean, mixdown in audio every time you record a single track) or to work with 8 tracks at the same time using the Song or pattern mode? (I mean 8 because many sounds can't be used without insertion effects, and we can only use 8 voices with insertion effects at the same time).
When do you mixdown in wave?

Posted : 07/09/2016 3:52 pm
Blake Angelos
Member Admin

Luigi Maria wrote:.
Do you prefer to work track by track using the voice mode (i mean, mixdown in audio every time you record a single track) or to work with 8 tracks at the same time using the Song or pattern mode?

Hi Luigi:

I personally mix down multiple tracks, working in the song/pattern mode (as opposed to recording each voice, rendering that, moving to the next voice, rendering that, and so on...that would be a really tedious workflow doing it all in voice mode!)

I like to get the mix and MIDI data the way I like it then mix down my tracks to a stereo track with MOXF. I think Bad Mister has given you the information you need to use the MOXF in the best possible way.

Posted : 09/09/2016 5:47 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us