Notifications
Clear all

incorrect midi playback timing in Cubase

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Dionysis
Topic starter

I recently reinstalled Cubase 8 Artist at my new computer (running windows 8, as my old one).
I'm using the vst moxf plugin. After recording a rather free piano passage, playing it back it sounds as if I had quantized it, although the midi key editor shows that the notes are fine (i.e. what I hear is not what I see).
What am I doing wrong?

Posted : 05/12/2015 1:23 pm
Bad Mister

Running the Yamaha MOXF Editor VST will not impact the record timing of what you do in Cubase Artist. We know this seems like a MOXF issue, but we assure it is not. Without more information about what you are doing or a screenshot of your setup, we would be guessing, along with you, about whether or not you did actually quantize the data.
What is your MIDI interface?
Are you using the MOXF or an external device (you don't say).

For such a Cubase related question we highly recommend you contact Steinberg, either through your MySteinberg Account, or on the Cubase Forum over at Steinberg.net.

What we can offer you:
You can know for sure (highly recommended) whether or not you have Auto Quantize On or Off. See the floating TRANSPORT BAR (F2), lower left corner are your record options.
The variables you give us are a bit troubling "rather free piano passage" - that could mean many things, but certainly you probably were not using the Click. Which is fine, but at what tempo were you recording?

If quantize was (accidentally) activated, and the tempo was reasonably low you would certainly notice notes being moved.
If quantize was off, you probably would not notice any time correction of notes given the realtime resolution of computer recording and the limitation we have as humans to detect such minuscule time segments... However, the TEMPO setting could impact this... If set too low I guess it is possible to have notes misplaced. How "free" is free?

If what you hear is not what you see... This is only troubling if what you hear is NOT what you played!
I say that because, Cubase can quantize what you see (SCORE) without changing what you played... (And that's a feature) appreciated for notation.

But Cubase endeavors to playback exactly what you play, when it doesn't, it is an indication of an error. If you really want help here, we can but we require more information about your setup.

Tip: put the click on
Play and record yourself playing (not free) but with the Click.
Observe if your recording sounds quantized
This experiment will help you figure out if indeed you're quantizing automatically or not.
Let us know

Posted : 05/12/2015 3:33 pm
Dionysis
Topic starter

Apparently I had forgotten to install the update (cubase_le_ai_elements_8.0.30_update_win).
As I said, that was a fresh install, and I missed that one!
Thank you Bad Mister for your time!

Posted : 06/12/2015 12:32 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us