Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Integration with CUBASE USB errors

9 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I''m having trouble integrating my Yamaha MOXF6 synth with Cubase . every time I try to connect it , I get an error message saying " USB device not ready " If anyone could point me towards any helpful articles or any direct advice would be extremely helpful a.
thanks .

Posted : 30/11/2015 5:09 am
Bad Mister

ahnaf wrote:

I''m having trouble integrating my Yamaha MOXF6 synth with Cubase . every time I try to connect it , I get an error message saying " USB device not ready " If anyone could point me towards any helpful articles or any direct advice would be extremely helpful a.
thanks .

Actually, you are having trouble with your USB device (MOXF) not being ready... (this means your computer may not be seeing it via your current connection). In order to communicate with your computer (and then ultimately with the software Cubase), you will need to establish a working USB connection between the MOXF's "To Host" USB port and a working USB port on your computer.

This is where the "type of computer" and its current "operating system" come in. If you are running on a Windows PC you will need to download and install the Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver for Windows (Currently at version 1.9.6). If you are running a Macintosh computer you will need to download and install the Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver for Mac OS (coincidentally also at version 1.9.6). These are available from the official Yamaha Download site: download.yamaha.com

Select your country
Type in your MODEL NAME: MOXF6
The first SEARCH RESULT will reveal just the downloadable MANUALS...
When the SEARCH RESULTS appear click on the product name to verify: MOXF6
The additional downloadable items for your MOXF will appear - read carefully and download the *Driver* that matches your computer type and current computer Operating System.

The zipped download will include detailed instructions (which we highly recommend you read twice: Once prior to doing the installation, and then again as you execute the installation) We recommend this as it will allow you to know what to SKIP... Many times people read blindly through as they attempt installation (or worse, they do not read at all) and miss some key point or read the instructions for a computer OS clearly not their own. The driver turns your MOXF6 into your computer's AUDIO and MIDI interface (this means that you will be able to select whether AUDIO, including sounds that normally travel through your computer's current sound system, will now be redirected by the MOXF6... such that audio can travel through the main Left and Right OUTPUTs of the MOXF!) _ this point is very important to understand. The MOXF6 becomes your sound-card!

Once the driver is installed on your computer - you can verify that it is working by connecting your MOXF6 with the computer ON.

The Driver (Control Panel) will indicate the connection. This driver is responsible for both MIDI and AUDIO communication between the MOXF and your computer.
In the MOXF you will want to ensure that MIDI IN/OUT communication is set to USB.
Press [UTILITY]
Press [F6] MIDI
Press [SF4] OTHER
Make sure MIDI IN/OUT = USB

In the MOXF you will want to ensure that your AUDIO USB I/O (Input/Output) is set to the mode you wish to use:
__ "2CH" = one stereo output (for live play and recording) all data recorded and output to a single stereo USB Output.
__ "4CH" = dual stereo output (for flexible recording to external DAW) A/D Input is fixed to USB 1/2 while synth Parts can be routed freely to either USB 3/4 (default) or to USB 1/2 (when you wish to isolate audio).

While in [UTILITY]
Press [F5] USB I/O
Press [SF1] OUT CH (Output Channel mode)
If you need to make a change, you must make that change, press [STORE] and then reBoot your MOXF6. This allows the MOXF6 to reset this parameter. If already set as you require, your fine.

The MOXF6 cannot communicate with Cubase until you make the all important USB connection (using the specific Yamaha Steinberg USB driver), verify it is working, then and only then can you proceed. You have yet to have an issue with Cubase yet, because your computer does not see the MOXF. The cause could be any of the above (which can serve as a checklist), if your MOXF is not set to USB, if you have not properly installed the driver, or simply your USB cable is bad - any of these can be the cause.

The error messages (and there are several) can be taken literally. If you give us the computer TYPE and OPERATING SYSTEM of that computer type, we can point you to articles concerning the connection of the MOXF to a computer. Then you can follow the MOXF/Cubase articles which are very much the same once you get into Cubase. It is the COMPUTER connection that is your issue... please provide that information for more help.

Posted : 30/11/2015 1:22 pm
Topic starter

Thank you Bad Mister. I have followed those steps, and I dont get that message now. But on the Device Setup, I still can't see the synth listed (for ports). I am using an MOX6 with Cubase AI 6 on a Windows 8 platform. Have installed Steinberg Driver + Remote tools as well.

I cannot get any connectivity between the synth and the computer now. Signal from the synth is not reaching the Comp.

Hope you can help me.

Posted : 03/12/2015 8:02 am
Bad Mister

ahnaf, this is very important. Do you own a MOXF6 as you said in your first post, or a MOX6 as you say in the most recent post?
We can only go on what you tell us. While the Driver, in this case is the same, knowing which product you own can have a lot to do with what you see and what you do not see.

In the meantime...

Please navigate to the CONTROL PANEL on Windows computer
Navigate to the "HARDWARE and SOUNDS" screen
Find the Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver icon
Click on it to open the panel
There should be a couple of tabs
What does it report?

Let us know.

Posted : 03/12/2015 10:59 am
Topic starter

Thank you. Sorry about that, my mistake. I actually own a MOX6.
I have now got the connectivity and have done my first recording! Pretty cool stuff!

However, having some other trouble. I recorded an audio track from my guitar and want to print a score sheet. But I found out I can generate scores only from a MIDI track. I then had a bright idea and tried to convert the audio track to MIDI, but there seem to be an issue with something called VariAudio. I can't locate that option. My score editor only gives me HitPoints option. Right clicking on the left part of the window gives select, zoom etc.

Any suggestions?

Thank you

Posted : 06/12/2015 7:59 am
Bad Mister

Sorry about that, my mistake. I actually own a MOX6.
I have now got the connectivity and have done my first recording! Pretty cool stuff!

Excellent. While there is a relationship between the MOX and the MOXF, they are quite different and have their own Editors, etc.

[fquote]However, having some other trouble. I recorded an audio track from my guitar and want to print a score sheet. But I found out I can generate scores only from a MIDI track. I then had a bright idea and tried to convert the audio track to MIDI, but there seem to be an issue with something called VariAudio. I can't locate that option. My score editor only gives me HitPoints option. Right clicking on the left part of the window gives select, zoom etc.

Yes, we are still at a point where MIDI and AUDIO have different distinct functions. MIDI data is not audio - it is a series of coded messages that represent music (much like notation). When you play middle "C" the sequencer sees NOTE #60, on a specific MIDI channel, at a specific Velocity and held for a specific duration (Gate). No sound is recorded. The computer (which does not have ears), can take this information and easily convert it to music notation (Score). It knows what character to reference from its library when it sees Note #60 - it will place a character one line below the Treble Clef staff and will fill it in or place a flag on it to indicate the duration, etc.

Audio conversion is slightly more difficult for a computer.

You have Cubase AI6 (a free, entry level version of Cubase, currently at series 8). The feature called "VariAudio" (for those who don't know) can analyze audio, single line audio, like a vocal or solo instrument, and convert that to MIDI. And allows you to treat your vocal, for example, as a source for triggering a MIDI instrument, or for pitch correction. You can even add vibrato or remove vibrato from an audio performance. This is no small feat. And took some many years into the computer age to even begin to happen. Early Pitch-to-MIDI functions were crude, not as sophisticated as the current stuff...

VariAudio is a very sophisticated algorithm for pitch recognition and translation - with the advantage of being built-in to Cubase (ie, not a plug-in) this gives it the advantage of unlimited levels of UNDO - which is not appreciated until you really dig in to editing/fixing a vocal track... It is a lot of number crunching: And therefore it is not in the AI version (entry level), but is only found in the commercial (for purchase) versions of Cubase. Please check with your MySteinberg Account about upgrading to Cubase Pro 8... (and which commercially sold versions include it).

Even though it is quite sophisticated, at this point, it is limited to analyzing mono audio (like vocals). Pitch-to-MIDI has been a longtime dream of musicians, and we are now in that era ( you can hear it being used and abused on lots of recordings nowadays). But it does not come in the free version - I'd have to look it up but I don't think it was introduced until Cubase version 5.x.x and only in the top-of-the-line (commercial) version.

So if you have AI6 that is why you do not see VariAudio.
In your version only MIDI data can be converted to notation, via SCORE.

Send an email via your MySteinberg Account and ask about what your upgrade discount would be for the full version of Cubase (Pro 8).

Posted : 06/12/2015 1:33 pm
Topic starter

Thanks, Bad Mister. That was very helpful.
One final question. If I upgrade to 8 or 8.5, will I be able to transform my monophonic guitar audio track to midi and then generate score from the MIDI track?

Thanks again

Posted : 06/12/2015 2:13 pm
Bad Mister

One final question. If I upgrade to 8 or 8.5, will I be able to transform my monophonic guitar audio track to midi and then generate score from the MIDI track?

In theory yes... please recognize that the purpose is vocals. I cannot guarantee YOUR guitar audio track will work... had you posted it, I could listen and give you an educated guess. Your mileage will vary, naturally.

Please visit YouTube - and search Cubase VariAudio (Audio to MIDI) - there are tons of tutorials _ I guarantee most are referencing Vocals - because that's where the demand for this lies. But several certainly convert Guitars... So I cannot give you a "Get out of Jail Free Card" and guarantee you that YOUR particular guitar track will successfully be SCORED - no one could do that (particularly without hearing it). But yes, you can take any monophonic audio and have Cubase extract the MIDI information from your audio - then its up to you to setup SCORE.

Again, this is a great opportunity for YOU to get in touch with the good folks at Steinberg through your MySteinberg Account. Discuss with them the success that folks have had in doing what you are attempting to do. Trust me we have people as versed in Cubase as we here at Yamaha are about our synthesizers. Also it might be worth participating in the Cubase Forum over at Steinberg.net

It's all free and you will certainly find others who have successfully done what you are asking about...

Posted : 06/12/2015 3:18 pm
Topic starter

Thank you, Bad Mister. I'll start exploring. Just wanted to know whether it would work before I bought it.

Thanks again for your invaluable help. 😀

Posted : 06/12/2015 4:47 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us