Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Master Mode issue

9 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi Phil - I'm really enjoying working with Master Mode, but I have a question for you.

I have a nice SONG MIXING template (PART 1, Piano, Part 2, EP, etc.) that I want to link to a MASTER. I've selected MASTER, then JOB, the ENTER to create an INITIALIZED MASTER.

On the F2 [MEMORY] tab I've successfully linked the SONG, and then activated ZoneSwitch "on" in F3 [ZONE SW].

I selected EDIT and then started my edits; ZONE1 is internal so IntSw is "on". On F3 [TX SW] I've turned on Bank (TG) and PC (TG).

I'm not sure what if anything I should do on F4 [PRESET] for ZONE1, but what I'm trying to do is have my SONG MIXING template working.

After I STORE ENTER ENTER to save the new MASTER, I then move to PERFORMANCE CONTROL. I select PART 1 corresponding to ZONE1 Internal (I understand that PART 9 would be the external settings for ZONE1 were any set up).

When I play the keyboard I hear the PRESET for ZONE1, e.g., Full Concert Grand (063 000 001).

Here is the question - what do I do if I want to move to the next VOICE in my MIXING TEMPLATE? Of course when I move to PART 2 in PERFORMANCE CONTROL I can see that I'm moving to ZONE2, but I understand that is not what I'm supposed to select.

In other words, why is it that I cannot select the second, third, etc. MIXING VOICE and here them? It seems like they sound just play normally since I linked the SONG MIXING template to the MASTER.

Thanks as always, David

Posted : 02/02/2018 3:42 am
Topic starter

CORRECTED:

In other words, why is it that I cannot select the second, third, etc. MIXING VOICE and hear them? It seems like they sound just play normally since I linked the SONG MIXING template to the MASTER, but I cannot figure out how to activate them while REMAINING in MASTER mode.

Posted : 02/02/2018 3:50 am
Bad Mister

I selected EDIT and then started my edits; ZONE1 is internal so IntSw is "on". On F3 [TX SW] I've turned on Bank (TG) and PC (TG).

If you’ve already made the Song Mixing Setup, we presume that means you’ve already selected the Bank and Program Change for all 16 Parts... there is no need to set the [F3] TX SW to address the internal Tone Generator... so you can turn them OFF.

I'm not sure what if anything I should do on F4 [PRESET] for ZONE1, but what I'm trying to do is have my SONG MIXING template working.

By linking the Master with the SONG, you have ensured that when you recall this Master all 16 Parts of your SONG MIXING template will be recalled, automatically. No need to address them by BANK SELECT and PC within the Zone settings. The one recall message that calls up the MASTER, recalls the SONG, which recalls the MIXING automatically.

You’re working too hard!

Posted : 02/02/2018 4:36 pm
Topic starter

Hi Phil - thanks very much for the response. I'm embarrassed to say that I don't think I've set the Bank and PC for each part in my MIXING setup. I went to SONG MIXING and then just started assigning the different VOICES, EFFECTS, etc. to each of 7-8 PARTS, and then saved it all in the SONG. When I went back to the SONG everything was all there. I did not do a formal Bank and PC Select function, but it sounds like I need to do that assignment in SONG MIXING, in which case that assignments will then be imported (wrong word perhaps) into the linked MASTER?

I enjoyed watching your recent NAMM Montage video; I'm a little jealous since I don't own a Montage. I guess all need now is an update to the MOXF firmware!

Regards, David

Posted : 02/02/2018 5:00 pm
Bad Mister

I went to SONG MIXING and then just started assigning the different VOICES, EFFECTS, etc. to each of 7-8 PARTS, and then saved it all in the SONG.

That is correct. You do not, repeat do not, have to worry about any Bank Select or Program Changes.

Press MASTER recall your Master Program
Press [F2] MEMORY
Here is where you told me you linked the Master with your SONG.
That is sufficient for the MOXF to recall the Setup used in that Song Mixing... it in fact recalls the entire MIXING!

Now, Press [EDIT]
Press [1] to view Zone 1-4
Press [F1] TRANS
Set Zone 1 to Transmit Ch 1 (this will play the Voice assigned to Part 1 of your Mixing)
Set the INT SW = On

Set Zone 2 to Transmit Ch 2 (this will play the Voice assigned to Part 2 of your Mixing)
Set the INT SW = On

Rinse and repeat for each Zone you want use.

Press [F2] NOTE set the Note Range for each
Press [F3] TX SW leave the Bank (TG) and PC (TG) = Off
They are not necessary. The Voices are already assigned to the Part.

Cursor Down and set to On the Controllers you want active to each Part

Press [F4] PRESET do nothing...
Press [F5] KNOB Set the cc number for the Zone’s Knobs.

Posted : 02/02/2018 7:55 pm
Topic starter

OK, got it. I understand I've been doing too much. One last question, however. Because there are only four zones, does that mean I can only access four voices in my SONG MIXING? If I have 5 VOICES set there, how do I access the last one if the first four are accounted for in zones 1-4?

Regards, David

Posted : 02/02/2018 9:35 pm
Topic starter

Phil - I think the answer to my last question might be self-explanatory. Since there are only 4 zones, if I want to include a fifth voice then I need to double that up with another one of the four voices (by setting its [SF2] MODE ReceiveCh number) and then split the keyboard, adjust NOTE LIMITS, etc. That way, when I later link to the MASTER i can use them both. Right? It worked when I followed your guidance above.

David

Posted : 02/02/2018 11:34 pm
Bad Mister

That is correct, you can (back in SONG MIXING, set multiple PARTS on the same MIDI Channel. They then will be addressed by the single ZONE.
Alternate method would be on the [F1] TRANS screen of the MASTER - you can switch Transmit Channels (that may or may not work for you depending on if you need then all simultaneously or not, but changing the Transmit Channel to 5 you can then access any PARTS assigned to Channel 5 back in your MIXING>

When you step up to Motif XF or MONTAGE you get 8 simultaneously zones (just mention that FYI)

Posted : 02/02/2018 11:57 pm
Topic starter

Phil - thanks again for you always great assistance. Everything is working fine now.

You know it is only a matter of time until you guys get me to move up; indeed, I find myself watching more and more MONTAGE videos these days. That said, I absolutely love my MOXF; it is just fantastic. Putting aside the amazing sounds, there are so many useful features and controls. I learn something new almost every week even after owning it for 4 years. Lately I've been having lots of fun using the sequencer to create great backing tracks and then playing my guitar live through the A/D IN. No latency, and of course the EFFECTS are better than what I can buy and shove into a pedal board.

Anyway, I'm a happy MOXF owner, and I really appreciate this blog and your efforts to help us.

David

Posted : 03/02/2018 1:38 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us