Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Difficulty connecting MOXF8 to Ableton Live

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi, I am trying to connect my MOXF8 to Ableton Live on a Macbook Pro. I am a total newbie and need assistance connecting the MOXF8 to my MBP and setting parameters in Ableton Live to get the sounds from my MOXF8. Could anyone help please? Thanks

Posted : 01/02/2018 11:50 pm

Hi - connect a USB cable from the output of your MBP to the TO HOST jack on the back of the MOXF. Turn on the MOXF, open Ableton Live. In Ableton, go the Live menu entry, and a sub-menu will open. Select Preferences. When the Preferences panel opens, go to the second entry for Audio. For the Audio Input device select the MOXF, and do the same for Audio Output Device. If you do not see the MOXF as a possible selection I think it is because you haven't downloaded and installed (on your MBP) the Steinberg driver from usa.yamaha.com website. Once you have the driver installed it will work.

If you need help further let me know.

David J.

Posted : 02/02/2018 3:47 am

One last point I forgot to mention; when you open up the Preferences in Ableton Live you'll probably see five different listings for the MOXF, corresponding to "Port 1" through "Port 5". Pick Port 1 for both input and output. By the way, Cubase is very tightly integrated with the MOXF and works great, and I highly recommend using Cubase (over Ableton) for recording from the MOXF. I do use Ableton Live for my live performance. David

Posted : 02/02/2018 12:00 pm
Topic starter

Hi David,

Thanks so much for your helpful reply. I have actually managed to complete the setup exactly as you described. And I am getting sound from my Keyscape that I have loaded into Live. However, I am having problems getting any of my MOXF sounds. Ideally, what I'd like to do is mix some of the Keyscape sounds with the MOXF sounds when playing in live performance. If I understand correctly, the MOXF has a built-in interface that affords you the option to mix sounds this way (I think?). Any help or advice with this is appreciated. Also, thanks for the advice regarding Cubase. Hopefully, when I start to record, I can tackle Cubase. Thanks, David!

Posted : 03/02/2018 4:17 am

Brian - You can mix the sounds. I think Keyscape is just a VST that runs as a plug-in in Ableton Live. You need a keyboard, however, to play the sounds. So, if I understand what you are trying to do (please confirm), you want to use the MOXF as the physical keyboard (in effect, a MIDI controller) for the Keyscape plug-in running in Ableton Live, while at the same time using the MOXF sounds natively. If that is correct, then you have to work in MASTER mode, which is a bit complicated but actually is the subject of a separate thread that I just had on this Forum. You'll have to setup the MOXF first, probably in SONG MIXING mode so that the individual VOICES you need from the MOXF are first configured. Then, you'll need to go into MASTER mode and set up a dedicated portion of the MOXF keyboard as your MIDI controller for the Keyscape sounds that will be coming from Ableton. If you've configured Ableton like I mentioned above, then the output of the computer should come back into the MOXF, and the particular level of that output is controlled by the second fader (the one labeled DAW) that sits just to the right of your main VOLUME fader. Using that second fader, you can "mix" the sounds in the manner you are suggested. The output of this "mix" then goes out your main L+R audio outputs to your sound system, which that is.

You didn't mention whether you are using Ableton Live for anything else (e.g. playing backing tracks, running lights, etc.), or whether your sound system has its own audio interface. All of that may matter as well, and it may alter what I would recommend. In any event, if you review my separate thread on the "MASTER MODE ISSUE" it will help you configure this, although there are some nuances about how you will want to split the MOXF keyboard so it all works. Happy to help you through it.

David

Posted : 03/02/2018 1:51 pm
Eminent Member

Hi David.

I own a MOXF8 with Ableton 10 and I am trying to accomplish the following:

Use the MOXF8 Sounds to record/Edit MIDI tracks in Ableton.

Right now, I can record the Ableton sounds via MIDI using my MOXF8 but don't know how to get my MOXF sounds there.

I think it has something to do with getting the Yamaha VST into Ableton?

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

Posted : 15/03/2018 2:39 am
Bad Mister

You have to have the Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver installed and selected as the AUDIO Device.
The MOXF is capable of Dual Stereo Outputs via USB (USB 1/2, and USB 3/4)

Posted : 15/03/2018 8:24 pm
Topic starter

Hi David,

I apologize for the late reply. I took some time away from my music. However, I am back now essentially still attempting to mix VSTs in Ableton Live with sounds from the MOXF8 while using the MOXF8 as my controller for the VSTs in Ableton Live. I am trying to figure out the easiest way to accomplish this in the setting of live performances on the fly. You mentioned needing to set this up in MASTER MODE in your previous reply. I was unable to find the thread that you referred to. Could you please assist with some guidance on how best to accomplish this, please. Thanks!

Posted : 10/01/2019 2:36 am

Hey Guys - read the posts but was not clear about the Midi Control funktionalität in Ableton. For sure the 61/88 Keys are mapped but what is about the Functionality to use MOFX6/8 as a Master Keyboard in DAW Ableton? Can the Knobs be mapped? Will Transport Control Start/Stop/Rec be recognized or can it be mapped manually? I once hat a device where no button could not be mapped at all beside the 61 keys. So how is it about the DAW control options?

Posted : 07/10/2019 7:45 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us