Notifications
Clear all

Midi Channel Change via CC

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 John
Topic starter

I need to midi control the midi channel buttons on my MOXF during a very complex song, so that I don't have to physically change what sound I'm playing on. I looked in the Midi Implementation Chart to know how it is done - via CC, or if it is possible. Maybe I just 'don't get it'... Any knowledge offered of this is appreciated. Thanks, Shep

Posted : 08/01/2019 4:37 pm
Bad Mister

CC is Control Change Message, This is a Channel message, like cc01 is Modulation Wheel, each channel would have its own cc01 message. There is no such thing as a Control Change message to change MIDI CHANNEL.

You change the MIDI Transmit Channel by touching a front panel button [1]~[16], the Keyboard transmits to the Tone Generator on the MIDI Channel of the Track, 1-16. By default, the MOXF Transmits to Ch1 from Track 1, Ch2 from Track 2 and so on. If you want to Transmit on Ch12 you simply need to press the Track [12] button.

Make sure the

button is lit, the buttons [1]~[16] select where you are transmitting via the keyboard.

Posted : 08/01/2019 6:00 pm
 John
Topic starter

I was fearing that. I have 4 sound changes that have no real time between the played lines to reach up and change the midi channel in between. Thus my hope that this could be automated via my LP-16 player. Darn.

Posted : 08/01/2019 6:25 pm
Bad Mister

If there is “no real time between the played lines” then hire a second keyboardist to help you or a “page turner” to press the buttons for you. Think what would Beethoven do? If there is no time to hit the button then you should maybe forget about the transition. (lol)

The solution to such a problem in the newest synths (MONTAGE and MODX) would be to approach the problem by transmitting simultaneously to all the Parts you need by “merging” them in the same Performance, then designing when they will sound by assigning control over Part Volume... the transition between instrument sounds can be determined by using the massive controller matrix. It is possible to smoothly transition between several instruments sounds using the Super Knob System to crossfade between the sounds your playing (this can be done, hands-free, with an FC7 Foot Controller Pedal programmed to move the Super Knob.

I realize you have a MOXF, but when you can’t reach up and push a button, then you’ll need to learn then “program” your solution. Place the instruments you need into a Performance (even on the MOXF you can combine as many as four), then work on the transition between the first and the second using your controllers, those you can reach in time)...

Start by placing two of the instrument sounds into a Performance, then work out a method to instantly accomplish the transition... if buttons are out then consider foot pedal (FC7 sweep type) or foot switch (FC5 momentary time). You can set them up so one fades out as the other fades in, so that pedal up is one instrument, pedal down is the other instrument.
Using advanced features like XA CONTROL you can seamlessly switch between instruments. The Assign Function switch position can determine which Elements are sounding... these can be used to switch instruments... you can activate/deactivate these with foot pedals...

Posted : 09/01/2019 1:34 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us