Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Unable to record keyboard

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I am very new to the world of recording. I own the MOXF8 and this past Christmas I purchased an Audio Technica 2030 condenser mike and the Behringer FCA 1616 audio interface. Successfully, I have been able to record my vocals, guitars and bass to Cubase Elements 10. My problem is, for some reason I have not been able to record my MOXF8. I can't seem to get a signal. I connected two 1/4 TS from the output of the keyboard to the inputs of my FCA 1616 and the FCA 1616 is connected to the computer via USB. I monitor everything with my headphones which is connected to the audio interface. Now, all I want to do is record my keyboard, that's all. I know that the MOXF8 has its own audio interface but I choose to use an external audio interface.Yes, I downloaded the latest drivers and I still can't figure it out. Can someone give me step by step instructions to accomplish this task. I know that this is a process, can you also explain how I can return my keyboard back to its normal state without factory resetting it after I acomplish this task. Before I brought my audio interface, I attempted to try MIDI, it was unsuccessful and I could not play my keyboard for a couple of days. The little I had stored in my keyboard is all gone because I had to factory reset.. Thanks in advance and can you please explain it like I'm a 3 year old thanks lol.

Posted : 08/01/2019 4:18 am
Bad Mister

Now, all I want to do is record my keyboard, that's all. I know that the MOXF8 has its own audio interface but I choose to use an external audio interface.Yes, I downloaded the latest drivers and I still can't figure it out.

No... you don’t need the MOXF Driver for the audio. If you choose to use an external audio interface, then you need to be using whatever driver that device recommends for audio. You’ve chosen not to use the MOXF audio interface. That’s easy.

The “Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver will only be necessary if you were connected via USB from the MOXF, and then YOU would only use the MIDI portion of the driver. Unfortunately, you make no mention of your MIDI arrangements. But from what you do mention your question is a Behringer AUDIO question.

There is never an MOXF setting to use the MOXF Audio Interface, settings for which device is your Audio Interface are made in the computer. The MOXF always delivers audio to the USB “To Host” port... whether you do anything with it is a setting made in your computer.

The “MIDI I/O” Setting in the MOXF should be “USB” (if your connected to the computer via USB) the setting should be “MIDI” (if you are connected to an external MIDI interface). The MOXF always delivers MIDI data to the port you select for MIDI I/O. The only other setting might be “Local Control” = On/Off. No need to factory reset your instrument to change the “MIDI I/O” and “Local Control” settings!!!

Posted : 08/01/2019 12:03 pm
Topic starter

Wow! This is truly a quick response thank you for that. Remember I told you that I'm new to the world of recording. How can I get this done? I need step by step instruction or direct me to the manual page of the MOXF to verify if the setting is on MIDI. If it was a Behringer audio issue why would the microphone, bass and guitar work perfectly? I checked and I am using the driver for the Behringer FCA 1616. The reason I made no mention about MIDI arrangement is because it's still a little intimidating to me for right now. Once I get pass this I may be ready to explore. There is so much to learn and if you don't mine I will continue to lean on your knowledge to get me through. I thank you greatly.

Posted : 08/01/2019 8:43 pm
Bad Mister

Let’s try again:

I choose to use an external audio interface.

Because you choose to use an external audio interface... All you need to do with your MOXF, is connect the Main L&R Outputs of the MOXF to two channel inputs on your Audio Interface. Treat it as a LINE level input — these are the only differences between the MOXF and a microphone, guitar, or bass. The MOXF is Stereo Out, and is Line Level.

There are no special settings that need to be made on the MOXF. It defaults to audio being ready to Output.
Turn on your MOXF — with headphones connected directly to the MOXF Phones jack, ensure you can hear the the MOXF when you play it. If you can... THEN it is set to Output audio. Connect the Main L&R Output to your Audio Interface.

Everything from this point is about using your chosen Audio Interface... end transmission. Let us know.

Posted : 09/01/2019 1:19 pm
Topic starter

I connected two 1/4 TS from the output of the keyboard to the inputs of my FCA 1616 and the FCA 1616 is connected to the computer via USB. I monitor everything with my headphones which is connected to the audio interface. Now, all I want to do is record my keyboard, that's all.

Bad Mister,

I did everything you stated in my first post to you. I can hear my keyboard as I play along with the recorded tracks of my bass, guitar, and vocals. I decided to put the jack connected to my keyboard in the front port of my audio interface and almost immediately saw a signal. I then tried to record the keyboard and was unsuccessful. I am using the Behringer driver so I can't understand what's wrong. Thanks again waiting for your reply.

Posted : 09/01/2019 4:36 pm
Bad Mister

Your MOXF is working just fine, the reason you are seeing level arriving at your Audio Interface is evidence it is working fine. “Hearing” it is a separate function. The level you are seeing is the digital signal (you can’t hear digital signal). You want to concern yourself with Monitoring (listening to) the analog signal once it is returned to your Audio Interface.
For information on working your Audio Interface you’ll need to contact Behringer.

Hearing audio from what you inputting is a matter of the routing and the settings you are using on your interface and in the software.
In Cubase, go to STUDIO > Studio Setup... > VST Audio System > this is where you select your audio interface’s driver
If you are seeing signal this means you have this set properly.

STUDIO > AUDIO CONNECTIONS > Input Tab here you set the Inputs coming into your Audio Interface. You need to create a Stereo Bus for the two channels on the Behringer to which you connected the MOXF Main L&R.
Go to the Output tab, here you set the Cubase Output going back to your Audio Interface.

On the MOXF Audio Track, setup to use the Input you created for the MOXF and the main Stereo Output to get the signal back to your Audio Interface.
You want to set the Input = the two Inputs on your Audio Interface that is the MOXF
You want to set the Output to the Output that returns Audio to your Audio Interface.

Select the MOXF Audio Track. Arm the Audio Track (red Rec ready button) and activate the Monitor Speaker icon to send audio through to your speakers.

Posted : 09/01/2019 6:41 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us